1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Is the US now a paper tiger?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Mark1031, Nov 20, 2006.

1. North King

North King blech

Technically speaking, if he had gone on much further, he would have found out that the king of Porus was a rather minor ruler, and that the Nanda Emperor would have outnumbered him vastly, and recruited more elephants than he could have dreamed of, in an army more disciplined than that which he faced previously.

The United States isn't doing so well in the realm of occupation, but as a manipulator of the world, it's not so badly off. It can do most anything it desires at this point--we can meddle in any nation's affairs. The thing is that the American populace is increasingly turning to isolationism, and this may well mean that we have very little that we're going to do with our power projection skills in the near future.

2. sonorakitch

sonorakitch Overseas hunter

The Chinese and Russians, once again, were privately in awe during the three week campaign to bring down the Hussein government. The US military performed flawlessly, and our opponents know it. Occupation is a different matter however, and without the will at home to finish the mission it will be lost.

A paper tiger, no. A poor nation builder, yes.

~Chris

3. Katheryn

Katheryn Deity

Maybe instability is a workable goal. God forbid these countries should work together in stability. We would be undone.

4. Ramius75

Ramius75 Deity

no of coz not. Size do matters and decades of investing in military weapons shows that USA is still capable to achieve her target in destruction of anything, even the whole world, if she wants to.

But rebuilding things, thats another question.

5. Little Raven

Little Raven On Walkabout

Instability is not a goal for us in the Middle East, and cannot be for the foreseeable future.

Remember, there is only one reason we care about these countries to begin with. We want only one thing from them, and that one thing requires stability to flow.

6. Trajan12

Trajan12 Deity

Why don't they just admit that we are the best? That there is no God but the Trinity and that America is numero uno?

Seriously though I've lost all interest in the ME. I don't care what happens to them anymore. So good luck and good bye. I've given up.

7. Little Raven

Little Raven On Walkabout

As the sage once wrote: There is no surer way of making someone your enemy than to announce you will remake him in your image for his own good.
    Unfortunate. They haven't given up on you.

8. Trajan12

Trajan12 Deity

What do you mean by that?

9. Xanikk999

Xanikk999 History junkie

The terrorists would rather see the west become islamic then destroyed.

10. Trajan12

Trajan12 Deity

I'd rather be destroyed then become Islamic. But like I said. They can have a field day with walking into buildings and blowing each other up. I have pity for the moderates. But until they help themselves by ousting the terrorists and becoming the voice of Islam. I don't particularly care about helping them.

11. Mountain-God

Mountain-God Prince

I'm very interested by the syggestions as to attacking out of necessity, etc.

May be a good opportunity to suggest wariness in labelling everyone with that rather more logical and balanced approach.

Certainly it doesn't seem to be the case for many people - not least of which may be many members of the current US government - whilst they possessed pretty much unanimous opinion from the US intelligence community that not only were there no WMD but Saddam had nothing to do with Bin Laden...

At this stage it might often seem like the US is a paper-tiger - and it's enemies really need do little more than wait for the nation to tear itself apart or become buried under it's own oppressive policy - ie where now US citizens can be arrested and detained for months on end without access to a lawyer, due process, or even a judge being allowed oversite.

I can't help but think the US may have finally been defeated by Soviet Communism - as surely as it's citizens allow and are forced into a similar kind of servitude...

12. Xanikk999

Xanikk999 History junkie

I dont think even that many citizens have been detained. Most of those at guantanomo are foreign fighters.

Anyway its not on the scale that the soviets were doing it.

BTW i dont support this i just think its an unfair comparison.

13. Underseer

Underseer King

You make it sound like there was some validity to all his little pet theories despite the fact that they all blew up in his face, and he had people around him who told him it would blow up in his face and even told him how and why. His response was to threaten to fire the next general who mentioned the post-occupation phase during the planning sessions.

He's an incompetent goober who made policy decisions based on a failed and flawed ideology and the result has been catastrophic for America. If we fix all of these problems in the next 50 years, I'll be very much surprised.

14. Mountain-God

Mountain-God Prince

Does it matter how many or simply that the authorities not only now have that power - but aspired to take it - AND that the constituency ALLOWED it?

Saying it's not on the scale of that the Soviets did is entirely accurate - but may perhaps be likened to comparing 2 people - one of whom has committed just 2 crimes, and the other who has committed 200.

Scale doesn't seem relevant to me.

EDIT: adding

I didn't think to note that in my reference to detention and without due process I wasn't actually thinking of Guantanamo - but, rather, inside the USA.

15. TopDog

TopDog Prince

Just think, if there was no oil, most people wouldnt give a stuff about the ME.

16. Shadylookin

Shadylookin master debater

well our ability to destroy is unmatched.

17. Dr. Yoshi

Dr. Yoshi Emperor of the Universe

Considering we could irradiate the entire planet I would say, no.

18. Katheryn

Katheryn Deity

Little Raven, do you have to be right about EVERYTHING?

Sheesh!

:king:

19. Captain Planet

Captain Planet Environmentalist

America might become a paper tiger when its economy finally reels from its conflicts overseas, but until then it will remain the utmost power in the world militarily, economically, and politically.

What I imagine in the next fifty years is some form of union between the United States and Canada to offset the imbalance in the North American mind and to finally become the voice of an entire continent to the world.

With that alone in mind, I cannot see the U.S. becomming a 'paper tiger' for too long if it does occur.

20. Antilogic

Antilogic --

Thank you--this sums it up perfectly. Personally, I was against the notion of invading Iraq, and I still am. The fact is, the American military did quite well in obliterating the formal army of Iraq. Unfortunately, you can't just turn around, occupy, and change a country easily in the 20th and 21st centuries. Just doesn't work like it used to...

I think it's funny so many people are afraid of a united Muslim Middle Eastern empire...take a look at the Ottomans. A quick wave of expansion followed by the great period where they were the sick man of Europe...I'm not afraid of them. Let them become more corrupt and ineffective.