1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Is the word "homophobe" a leftist conspiracy?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by bhsup, Feb 14, 2007.

?

Is the word "homophobe" a leftist conspiracy?

1. Yes

22.2%
  2. No

71.3%
  3. Maybe

6.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Taliesin

Taliesin Puttin' on the Ritz

Hydrophobic molecules don't have an unreasoning fear of water ...

2. Sidhe

Sidhe Deity

3. Taliesin

Taliesin Puttin' on the Ritz

I did know that, but I thought the molecules were cuter. Sex sells, you know.

4. Sidhe

Sidhe Deity

hehe true.:)

5. classical_hero

classical_hero In whom I trust

Notice how it is an irrational fear.

6. Turner

Turner Deity Retired Moderator

Most who don't suffer from homophobia would consider it an irrational fear. ;)

7. classical_hero

classical_hero In whom I trust

Well then you will need to define irrational and fear then.

8. El_Machinae

El_Machinae Colour vision since 2018 Retired Moderator

:shake: typical egocentric thinking.

Maybe they DO!

9. Bill3000

Bill3000 OOOH NOOOOOOO! Supporter

While the contextual usage of xenophobe does imply that it is irrational, it's not used as a term of fear, but of hatred.

As for what irrational means, it's acting without regard to rationality. :p It's unjustified in a philosophical context. Typical behaviors that are irrational include fads and fashions, croud behavior, anger at a situation that has not occured, and the like. Appeals to emotion are quite common in such a context.

Finding something digusting is not rational, as it is not justified. It's a preference of taste. It is akin to saying that you find chocolate ice cream disgusting. While people are entitled to their opinions, that doesn't mean that said opinions are rational, or that they should act upon said opinions.

In the end, it's a matter of disgust, rather than disagreement. It's one thing to think that homosexuality is wrong, though such a thing isn't a moral unless it is rationally justified, really. It's another thing altogether to be disgusted by the fact that people do it. The two are quite often correlated, though.

Words are not defined by the words that they are derived from. A word gains meaning from the context it is used in. And homophobia is not a term of fear, but of hatred; it is why it is grouped with things such as racism and the like.

10. tomsnowman123

tomsnowman123 Simple Liver

No, it's not. I know several people who fear that homosexuality will be the ruination of western society, or something like that.

11. ComradeDavo

ComradeDavo Formerly God

I don't think I can take this thread seriously when certain people still use 'leftist' as a word used for regimes like the Soviet Union or Castros Cuba, regimes that were/are very homophobic.

12. Bill3000

You shouldn't use it not even for that, but for the fact that it is a loaded term. "leftist" implies that it is bad, and "conspiracy" - well, do I even eed to say why such a statement is ridiculous? If such a topic would be discussed more seriously, it needs a better term. Perhaps something relating to the fact that it is often used as an ad hominem, but not something dumb like "X conspiracy". Said same people would find it just as bad for Hillary to say "vast right wing conspiracy", for example - even if such a term has a justified point behind it, it doesn't change the fact that it is, ultimately, a sort of equivocation fallacy.

13. Sidhe

Sidhe Deity

Is the word leftist conspiracy a homophobic conspiracy, mores the point? How long will it take before this thread disappears into a cavernous expanse of spam? Even more pertinent, suffice to say the answer is no, and the answer is because your political spectrum does not determine whether you are a bigot or not, it's a bit more complicated, and of course religious people don't even think they're bigoted so that's another complication, even though others think they are, so it all get's messy if you say leftist, because politics doesn't dictate how big of a follower you are, or how big of a bigoted red neck or whatever the current fashionable hick alternative is these days.

14. MobBoss

MobBoss Off-Topic Overlord

Homophobe is an extremely overused label. It almost always does not apply in the situation that it is used.

In that aspect it is almost like 'the race card' which gets played all too often as well.

Thus if you merely disagree with anything homosexual you are thus labeled a homophobe, just like if you say anything that pertains to race in any aspect you are a racist.

Both are distasteful labels flung in order to coerce compliance to a social belief. If you disagree with that belief, then you are in turn labeled 'homophobe' or even 'racist'. This is done in the hopes that you find the label so distasteful that you actually compromise your own belief.

There are legitimate homophobes out there that often take violent action against homosexuals, that express nothing but hatred and vehemence towards a particular demograph.

But people who merely find such actions either distasteful or morally wrong are not homophobes per se.

So, in closing, the answer to "is the word homophobia a leftist conspiracy'? Not a planned conspiracy per se, but the use of the label is conspratorial in nature. Essentially, if someone disagrees with homosexuality on any level, they are thus labeled 'homophobe' almost automatically. In that aspect, sure its a conspriacy.

15. sysyphus

sysyphus So they tell me

I would like to pose a question to the OP:

This thread is based on the premise that people are using a word that is not accurate in its description of those for whom it is intended, its use intended to create a certain image.

So, why then have you used the word "conspiracy" in the title? Do you actually believe that leftists have taken the time to organise, assemble and plan the implementation of the word "homophobia" in such use?

Or are you actually being the embodiment of the very thing you are criticising?

16. Tomoyo

Tomoyo Fate

Wait.

Doesn't "homo" mean "same"?

So shouldn't "homophobia" be "fear of sameness"?

:hmm:

17. bhsup

bhsup Deity

Fair questions! I'd have to say that I worded the initial post very poorly. MobBoss's post right above here articulated what I was trying to convey much better than I did.

I don't actually think there was a concerted plan with a small group of sinister people meeting in smoke filled rooms planning a conspiracy of word usage, and I'm sorry if I gave that impression.

18. Bill3000

I'm quite sure that you didn't think that it was an actual conspiracy. But that doesn't change the fact, however, that the image of an actual conspiracy is generated when the term is used. Which, as sysyphus said, is quite literally the same type of intent as how you feel the term homophobic is overused, no?

19. Sidhe

Sidhe Deity

Homo means man. So it should be fear of man or men.:)

As in Homo Sapiens, Wise or I supose sentient or knowing man or Homo Erectus, upright man.

EDIT: bit of a misnomer really and for corrections. In both cases, erectus is ok though :)

20. thetrooper

thetrooper Schweinhund

No, 'irrational fear of sameness'.

;)

Edit: X-post with Sidhe, :gripe:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.