1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] Is the World Congress too early? (Poll)

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by j51, Jan 11, 2019.

?

Is the World Congress too early?

1. Yes

54 vote(s)
    31.4%
  2. No

80 vote(s)
    46.5%
  3. Maybe

38 vote(s)
    22.1%
  1. j51

j51 Blue Star Cadet

I think it most certainly is. It shouldn't come online before the Industrial Era. To me, it seems weird to vote with civs across the globe (even if you don't know them) before steam travel/telegraph, let alone sailing.

Hopefully it can be easily pushed back with mods.

What are your thoughts and why?

2. Icicle

Icicle Chieftain

It did strike me as rather weird to have a world congress with people you haven't met yet.

However I can pretend those early votes are for things like engineers and mercenary company politics rather than true global sit down type meetings so I can live with it. I'd rather have an early World Congress than none.

King Rad, Babri, CivLuvah and 2 others like this.
  3. Prester John 2

Prester John 2 Chieftain

The expansion is not even out yet and we don't fully understand its functions. Let's give it some time at least until the release.

Socrates99, Vandlys, Meluhhan and 2 others like this.
  4. UWHabs

UWHabs Warlord

Yeah, I'm guessing it happens once someone meets everyone else. But it also feels like those early votes are not as much of a "the world has sat down and drafted accords for X" and more of a "hey, let's give everyone a bonus/penalty for the next 20 turns". They could have just as easily simply had the game come out and say, "surprise, all units are now 50% more expensive to build for the next 20 turns", and instead gave people a vote on it. The "official" accords probably only come in the later eras.

TahamiTsunami and j51 like this.
  5. chazzycat

chazzycat Chieftain

voted maybe because it's super early and we don't really know how it's gonna play out yet.

From what we've seen so far (ability to affect global cost of buying things with faith/gold/production) it would seem to make sense to be early, to have a real impact on the game.

King Rad and Mr Jon of Cheam like this.
  6. WillowBrook

WillowBrook Lurker

If implemented well, no, not too early. We'll see how it plays out, but I'm not concerned at this point.

TahamiTsunami, Zaarin and RohirrimElf like this.
  7. steveg700

steveg700 Warlord

Well, before the United Nations or even League of Nations, there were international forums like the various Holy Leagues (which, you gotta admit, sounds pretty badass).

I just wish it wasn't mandatory to participate and abide by their rulings. I'd rather alliances expand to incorporate more civ's, and then you get something like an Axis and Allies situation.

8. Archon_Wing

Archon_Wing Vote for me or die

But if it comes too late, nobody will care about it.

Think it should start out weak and become stronger, like in BNW

9. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Warlord

I'm okay with it as is. As mentioned in the other thread, I just think of it as treaties. Though it is strange making treaties with question mark empire. :) But think of it as the empire you are making a treaty with, making an identical treaty with that empire you haven't met.

Otherwise it may not come until after civs can cross the ocean, which seems a bit late. On huge maps it may not come until the future era! (since this game annoyingly won't let you trade maps) Granted Norway and Maori can cross early, but they aren't guaranteed to be in the game. I've had games where I'm trapped in a corner, and have hostile civs and can't get around them to explore. Especially since I don't place high priority on the tech that allows you to embark (which I can't remember the name of, shows how important it is to me).

Plus the policies you are voting on that early aren't exactly world changing policies. They are mostly about mercenaries and districts. Nothing major.

10. pokiehl

pokiehl Chieftain

It's a lot more fun to have it come on this early, IMO.

11. Mr Jon of Cheam

Mr Jon of Cheam Chieftain

Is this poll too early?
    • Yes
    • No
    • Maybe
    Cast your vote!

12. Alexadamz

Alexadamz Chieftain

I don't think any kind of international meeting of nations is a rather modern concept to consider it early being online in the Middle Ages in game. And I guess, for reasons of gameplay, the Medieval Era is a good time for WC to show up. Later it could be irrelevant or even not showing up in the first place. They could make it going online with the first civ having researched Diplomatic Service, but I think that wouldn't change too much.

13. Stringer1313

Stringer1313 Chieftain

I said yes, but I don't have a problem with Medieval Era per se. I just think World Congress should start when one civ has met all civs (at which point it "introduces" everyone to one another -- no question marks) -- OR when a majority of civs have met all civs, OR when all civs have met all civs (which I acknowledge might be a tad too late). If the first time one civ meets all civs is in the Medieval Era, that's fine with me, but it shouldn't just automatically trigger upon an era, and we are left with question mark heads.

14. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Warlord

I think the Renaissance era would work. The other criteria that would be everybody would of have to met each other, that is still alive, and I guess at least someone would have to learn diplomatic service.

kaspergm likes this.
  15. Human Crouton

Human Crouton Chieftain

I don't mind early, but I do mind that it's arbitrary. Waiting until someone met every player was a good way to do it. Having it arrive at a preordained time, and before we even know all of the voting parties, is a heavy-handed way to make the WC important instead of having it adapt to the game environment.

16. Icicle

Icicle Chieftain

Agreed, I wish there was a 'rogue state' option! Everyone hates you but you don't gotta follow their rules.

TheSpaceCowboy likes this.
  17. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Warlord

yeah this will annoy me on conquer the world type games I sometimes do. But maybe that was their intention to try to hold major warmongers back in some way. Still won't stop me. You can't stop me spreading peace to your lands through force.

18. pgm123

pgm123 Warlord

I was going to say No, but I settled on Maybe. I have to see how it actually plays.

19. steveg700

steveg700 Warlord

Well, non-participation could inflict negative diplomatic consequences that might have the WC form an alliance against the rogue civ. I mean, one thing that is kind of a holy grail in this game is seeing civ's work together to bring down a runaway.

And non-participation wouldn't mean immunity to every resolution. Could still suffer from things like embargos to prevent members sending or receiving traders from the rogues. Or declare a warmonger as the target of an emergency.

20. j51

j51 Blue Star Cadet

From a technical game play perspective it could work early, but from a role play perspective it could be immersion breaking.

Gee, even making this survey pushed some people's buttons. :crazyeye: Just thought it would be good to see what others thought.