1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Is the World Congress too early? (Poll)

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by j51, Jan 11, 2019 at 1:21 PM.

?

Is the World Congress too early?

1. Yes

52 vote(s)
    32.7%
  2. No

71 vote(s)
    44.7%
  3. Maybe

36 vote(s)
    22.6%
  1. gozon

gozon Chieftain

I agree WC should start when someone meets every civ. If it's medieval era or earlier, I'd imagine it to be a "summit" type of thing where monarchs meet and discuss stuff.

Also, you should at least know who are participating no matter you met them before or not (instead of question mark).

j51 likes this.
  2. Kaan Boztepe

Kaan Boztepe Chieftain

earliest medieval but only once at least one civilization has met everyone. at the meeting all meet all and there should be option to not ratify any decision with some penalties attached, maybe grievances against the pro-voters . also the option to not attend should also be available ,again with some penalties. maybe no international trade or half as efficient.

j51 likes this.
  3. j51

j51 Blue Star Cadet

I like that. Grievances are a great way to make these opt-outable. As the ages progress, you'll earn way more grievances, but in the Middle Age/Renaissance only light penalties.

4. bbbt

bbbt Warlord

Ideal world, yes I'd prefer it started as 'multiple civ' agreements (via trade, whatever) and eventually evolve into a world congress. I can see how that might be overly complex (both technically and gameplay wise) though.

I think the ability to 'opt out' would have to be in conjunction with a lot more than just negative diplomatic penalties, as practically speaking with the state of the game/AI, "everyone hates me" doesn't actually have much impact.

Negative 'favor' (i.e. the diplomatic voting currency), losing envoys with city states, possibly evening negative amenities as your civ increasingly isolates itself

5. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

Gets a solid maybe. I need to know everything WC does in detail before answering that.

Hopefully we don't get degenerate incentives, and hopefully we don't get something that breaks the game as hard as TAP in Civ 4. I suspect the former, hope they at least remember the lesson from the latter.

CivLuvah likes this.
  6. Ziad

Ziad Chieftain

I don't know?

7. Archon_Wing

Archon_Wing Vote for me or die

ahahaha

That is why it's my avatar.

Do they ever learn lessons though? Every new civ games seems to start out forgetting what made previous games good.

j51 likes this.
  8. Leathaface

Leathaface Warlord

I don't think so, I think it arrived at the right time. I've been people saying it should arrive in the Industrial era, but that is halfway through the game, I like that it arrives earlier.

9. Zaarin

Zaarin My Dearest Doctor

There were certainly leagues of nations long before the modern era, so I think it's fine. But I do think there should be separate congresses and you can only participate in congresses in which you've met all the civs participating. But I could see that being complicated...

10. kb27787

kb27787 Chieftain

Used to be founded when someone got printing... Which would kind of make sense as you need some way of circulating the news/decisions. Radio would be much too late.
    Is printing a medieval tech? I forget...

11. Ivan Hunger

Ivan Hunger Chieftain

It's funny that if something is immersion breaking in one or two small ways, that will annoy me much more than something that's fundamentally immersion breaking in a whole bunch of ways.

That's why I can't bring myself to be upset about any mechanic related to the world congress. The world congress is, on a conceptual level, so unlike anything that has ever existed in the real world that it may as well be called straight up magic. So many things about it are so ridiculous that all I can do is just stop questioning it and enjoy the ride.

Zaarin, Elhoim, Stringer1313 and 3 others like this.
  12. gozpel

gozpel Couch-potato (fortified)

30 turns for any World Fair etc isn't enough for you?

Let it start at the Stone Age and win points to your neighbour first, same with CS.

We don't need every game to end at turn 350-400.

13. Lily_Lancer

Lily_Lancer Chieftain

I really support starting that at Medieval, if it shall start at a certain era.

The current era system is broken. Even for scientific victories, industrial era is still far from imagination, so the Congress actually work for Medieval and Renaissance Era. Consider that it need 30 turns to make real effects, if the Congress start at Medieval it will take into effect by Renaissance.

If it start after Medieval it will not be effective throughout the game, so the latest era can the Congress start is Medieval. Starting at Ancient or Classical is meaningless since you seldom meet all other Civs in these eras.

So it ought to start at Medieval.

I suggest it bound to tech/civic development instead of world era. For example, the 1st Civ research Radio (which always happens at Medieval in my games, so actually the same as Medieval)

CivLuvah likes this.
  14. kaspergm

kaspergm Warlord

I voted yes, for what it's worth. That was a real WTH moment for me, when I watched the livestream.

j51 likes this.
  15. anandus

anandus Errorist

This is an important point.

It's a game, not a history simulator, and thus gameplay trumps realism.

JimGrumpypants and Elhoim like this.
  16. Ondolindë

Ondolindë Chieftain

I voted no for the same reason.

But I have to say it. Your statement above applies to reality more than you think in a certain part of the world now. :lol:

j51 likes this.
  17. CivLuvah

CivLuvah Warlord

Well I do believe that they just changed the definition of religious victory from the one in Civ4 which was basically an early version of the diplomatic victory. So I guess they learned something from that? I don't know. :dunno:

18. Isengardtom

Isengardtom Chieftain

No
    I care more about gameplay then “realism”

I’m actually looking forward to the Congress a lot
    I think it could be fun in MP too

Elhoim likes this.
  19. HorseshoeHermit

HorseshoeHermit 20% accurate as usual, Morty

How can it be a congress if there isn't a congregation?

Medieval start could be a great timing as a call back to the Apostolic-Palace triggered global convention, but what on Earth are you doing if you don't even know who is casting the votes? How can you receive votes and not see anyone go into the booth? Random resolutions are a bummer, too, especially since the potential options actually look proper now.

If at least someone met everyone, fine, but I don't believe the preview said that was required.

Ah well. PvE is the new black.

j51 likes this.
  20. Lily_Lancer

Lily_Lancer Chieftain

In Civ6, the era system is broken so that Steam power and Telegraph come at Medieval era. Renaissance is everything about Moon and Mars, and Cold War. Industrial? That is a legendary era full of future tech and civics.

So you actually "vote with civs across the globe" with "steam travel/telegraph" in the current setting, because you gain "steam travel/telegraph" in Medieval. It is normal, and shall be appreciated.

If start at Industrial, it will be strange, how can Civs which already land on Mars still haven't form a Congress? Weird.