1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Is the world too big?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by SerriaFox, Sep 24, 2010.

?

Is the World too Big

1. Yes, please less world

8 vote(s)
    15.4%
  2. NO, There is just not enough civ per map

11 vote(s)
    21.2%
  3. No, the spacing is good to allow you to develop

29 vote(s)
    55.8%
  4. No, your close enough to force fights

4 vote(s)
    7.7%
  1. SerriaFox

SerriaFox King

Is it just me or is there too much room allowing you to basically ignore other civs?

2. Auncien

Auncien Prince

I am really enjoying the world size. Is it larger than before? I'm diggin' it.

3. amboo

amboo Chieftain

For me, it's like up until 1500 A.D. the main continent (depends on what map you are playing) usually is like 90% filled. Before then the map looks really strange with gaps everywhere. Afterwards I think it is fine.

4. The Leviathan

The Leviathan Warlord

I honestly believe that the map size to Civ ratio is extremely screwed up in this game. In every game I played with the default map settings I was a million miles away from the closest civilization and by 1000AD we were still extremely far from one another. it completely ruins the idea of culture wars, great artist, and tile buying races since your borders won't even be anywhere near another until the very late game

This is really my only complaint with the game, but to compensate I usually just play a map size with additional civs and city states to make up for the barren map. (for example on a standard, I'll play 10 civs and 20 city states)

5. HamTard

HamTard Warlord

On the other hand, the distance between nations lets people who complain about the game being too combat oriented turtle in peace.

6. NovaDream

NovaDream Chieftain

I never liked how quickly borders pressed against eachother in Civ IV. I just didnt find that very realistic. This is more accurate this way, with the large spacing and all the unclaimed land that lays there for ages. I actually tried a few times in Civ IV to force this type of game to develop by adjusting the settings.

7. Newcomer24

Newcomer24 Warlord

What about reducing world size/raising number of Civs? Huge map defaults at 12 Civs... if you think there's too much room... just raise them to 16-18, if you still think there's too much room try 18 civs on a standard sized map. The game lets you completely customize this gameplay aspect so you should be able to find your sweet spot.

8. Johnny Be

Johnny Be Warlord

Exactly!

People are never satisfied! :(

I remember everything bad that was said when civ4 got out... And now it's the best thing since sliced bread! In a few years Civ 5 will be the best thing in the world and Civ 6 will be a major disappointment! :rolleyes:

9. Biz_

Biz_ Prince

you can change the number of civs you put on a map...

and then there's that whole city-state thing

10. dannythefool

dannythefool King

Missing the "no you joker, you can configure everything" option.

11. devilhunterred

devilhunterred Prince

Duel size is your answer.

12. beestar

beestar subdeity

I find it very strange not to have to REX like crazy toward the other AIs.

2-move military units really shorten the distance in wartime, though.

13. spoooq

spoooq Warlord

Land is no longer the only way to get large amounts of resources, city-states do the same thing. Relationships are more important than borders now, which I guess is why borders are so slow to expand.

I haven't had time to play beyond medieval yet, but I'm not sure I will get the feeling of a nation from the shape of the borders in the later stages.

14. AlexandrosV

AlexandrosV Chieftain

Can't understand why if you have 4 levels of size, you should complain if huge it's too huge... simply play a smaller map, no? My answer is no. Instead, imo, there should be a bigger map, for when i wanna play with all civ and city states (when the game will be tweaked maybe...)
    Just put in more civ then the default, it is possibile!

15. Smips

Smips Chieftain

Isn't the world supposed to be large? Every inch of the Earth today isn't flooded with people, so why should it be that way in CiV?

16. SerriaFox

SerriaFox King

Guys I was trying to make an observation not a compliant about the "standard" settings of the game. AS another poster in another thread said we really don't know enough about game play yet. But to me the world feels EMPTY when you use the "standard" settings.