1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Is there a civ that you think is overrated?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Artifex1, Dec 4, 2016.

?

Is there a Civ that you think is overrated or unjustfiiably popular?

Poll closed Dec 12, 2016.
  1. China

3 vote(s)
    4.1%
  2. Brazil

3 vote(s)
    4.1%
  3. Germany

13 vote(s)
    17.8%
  4. Greece (Gorgo)

15 vote(s)
    20.5%
  5. Greece (Pericles)

3 vote(s)
    4.1%
  6. America

2 vote(s)
    2.7%
  7. Aztec

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  8. Kongo

6 vote(s)
    8.2%
  9. Arabia

2 vote(s)
    2.7%
  10. France

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  11. England

2 vote(s)
    2.7%
  12. Spain

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. Norway

2 vote(s)
    2.7%
  14. Scythia

10 vote(s)
    13.7%
  15. Sumeria

7 vote(s)
    9.6%
  16. Rome

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  17. Japan

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  18. Egypt

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  19. India

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  20. Russia

2 vote(s)
    2.7%
  1. Artifex1

Artifex1 Warlord

A civ that everyone thinks is OP or is popular but you think is much weaker or just not a fun civ to play?

2. ShinigamiKenji

ShinigamiKenji King

Just a piece of advice: be more specific about not being fun to play. Though Sumeria is strong, I don't like chaining myself to building donkeys from the start regardless of circumstances, therefore they are not fun to play for me.

3. kampori

kampori Warlord

I voted Aztecs. Getting a free worker with every unit killed (and in ancient/classical era, with vast amounts of war and hordes of units to kill, this is A LOT of free workers, I actually had more workers than I had land to build or districts to rush. I had every single tile improved or chopped, every city had every district rushed with a queue of workers parked outside.)

Free workers
    Workers can rush districts.

Insanity

EDIT- I'm tired and only read first part of your post and saw 'most OP' didn't notice the not fun part.
    Agree above with Sumeria. Whilst war carts are most OP unit in game and can crush anyone with it for first 100 turns, it just isn't fun after a while.

4. Mustakrakish

Mustakrakish In 'Node' We Trust

What, Sumeria??? It's the most boring civ... Why it's even overrated by some?

5. Tarquin_77

Tarquin_77 Chieftain

Rome - overrated in my view. They're still good, and legions and baths are nice.... but... Free roads /TP makes little difference after a while as you're going to be maxing your internal routes and bringing harbours / CHs up as first build on new cities.

6. jaegybomb

jaegybomb Chieftain

The roads/TP are a throwaway ability. Rome crushes everyone early. Filthyrobot rated them 7th overall and then complains every game that no other civ can beat them.

I don't understand how people keep listing Gorgo with the elites. They aren't even top 10. The way victory conditions are balanced I'd take the 10th best science civ over the best culture one.

Siptah likes this.
  7. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

Extra slot is nice but not enough to push it into high tiers. The UU is really lackluster unfortunately.

8. Mr. Shadows

Mr. Shadows Nomad of the time streams

I think Germany is highly over-rated. They ARE a lot of fun to play, and that's why a lot of people overestimate them. The hansa doesn't unlock until apprenticeship, and the extra district doesn't matter until you've hit your cap AND hammered out another district. In the single player game you've pretty much won or lost by that time. A lot of people are convinced of their power but imho they're not even close to top tier.

9. mnf

mnf King

I basically find little fun in the early war civs. Sumeria and Scythia stands out. But that's just because I like to play peaceful and at a low difficulty. I like the civ building part of the game more than the war part. I admit Sumeria was fun the first time, getting all those random tribal village boosts much later into the game than other civs with an area cordoned off to farm barbarian spawns. But it's not as fun after the first game.

On the other hand, the Greeks seem to consistently get a low score among players here, but I love the extra policy slot. I think the Greeks are more fun to play than the dull Chinese with its passive bonus, and probably Egypt as well.

narmox likes this.
  10. NukeAJS

NukeAJS King

Gorgo. I don't know why people think she's better than Pericles. Compared to Gorgo, he's on a whole other tier imo.

11. isau

isau Deity

I think Brazil might be highly under rated, at least in Single player and on Fractal maps. I didn't think much of them until I realized the unique district is actually pretty incredible. The Entertainment District isn't often worth building for other civs, but for Brazil it's half cost and doesn't increase district totals, making it much better. The district makes it much easier to go wide or to quickly quell rebellions in conquered cities.

The bonus from Rainforest tends to be pretty good too, but its a bit more difficult to build around. You can't build improvements on rain forest (that I know of) so that tends to be a limiter.

But the real surprise was the warship, which I didn't think much of at first. Woooow does that thing pack a punch. There's a leg of the game where you can almost instantly destroy any city near the coast in 2 or 3 turns. Frigates die in one hit, so if you played right and beelined your ships nobody can stand up to you.

Siesta Guru and camomilk like this.
  12. CaiusDrewart

CaiusDrewart King

I see the Greeks listed as top tier sometimes and I don't quite agree with that. The free policy slot is quite good and the Acropolis is probably a net positive (though it makes city placement rather annoying). But the Hoplite is rather bad. I don't think they match the likes of Germany/Rome/Scythia/Sumeria on balance. Scythia and Sumeria have abilities so overpowered that playing them is a total joke. Germany has stronger economic abilities than Greece. Rome has perhaps equal economic abilities and a much stronger UU.

Maybe if they buff spearmen in the future (that's definitely needed), Hoplites will become useful.

13. Galbias

Galbias Prince

Haven't played them yet but Greece stands out to me as being good but probably not worthy of top tier. Acropolis's Hill requirement turns a solid UD into one of the weaker ones since Hill tiles are so important, Spearmen are awkward due to their significant penalty against melee so Hoplites are limited, and given the fetish AIs have for conquering CSes on higher levels, Pericles's % Culture bonus will be difficult to get too much from, probably going to average around 10%.

Apprenticeship has an easy inspiration and it's something you should be beelining for even if you're not Germany, it's still pretty early in the game and you get more extra production faster than you would with IZ. The extra district is pretty crap on them though, I agree there, it's mostly just Hansas and the Military Policy slot.

14. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

Crazy poll, I had to vote, there was no option to say none. And how can civs like Norway be on the list? I was tempted to vote for them.

Deity and violence seem to be a key contributor in discussions also.

Its still a good poll despite that, brings out the critical side in us, its easy to love hansa or war cart or wildcard, but just how good are they in comparison

15. Joebles

Joebles Chieftain

I guess I'm going to say Scythia? They have the potential for a really explosive early game, but if they fail to get an early lead, they don't have a lot of bonuses to fall back on. At least Sumeria isn't reliant on horses and has the barbarian camp hut bonuses.

16. Lucius_

Lucius_ King

I was underwhelmed immensely by Scythia. I had to restart 3 times before I was able to stomach playing them. Pangaea map was the trick. Their UU is eh at best. I certainly prefer the 2 range archer over the extra movement of the UU. Their faith generating UI wasn't anything special, but I wasn't playing a religion game. I did found a religion, but it's basically only good for getting a quicker pantheon if you aren't going religious. Even then, I'd rather have farms than kurgans. Tomyris's unique ability though is boss. Bonus vs damage units and a heal. Double light cavalry is good, but really that bonus is good for, 3 builds? You don't need anymore than 6 melee units really, so it's basically translates to 200 free production. So out of 4 uniques, only one was actually impressive. Meh overall.

17. CaiusDrewart

CaiusDrewart King

Agreed on the Kurgan and the Saka Horse Archer--neither is that impressive. The latter is sometimes buildable but only because you get two for the price of one. The unit itself is pretty squishy and short-ranged.

But I think you're way underrating People of the Steppe (which gives free cavalry units). There's so much you can do with this. First, it lets you get your horsemen rush going considerably earlier, which has a snowball effect. Second, it lets you train enough horsemen quickly to go after multiple targets at once--and really, there's no reason for Scythia not to do this. I agree that you don't need a ton of units to take out a Deity AI in Civ VI, but with a ton of fast-moving units Scythia can strike in multiple places. The ability also has some relevance later in the game, because it lets Scythia form cavalry/helicopter corps and armies very easily. That's good.

The other thing is that Killer of Cyrus (which gives healing on kills and a combat bonus vs. wounded units) is not merely good--it is the best unique ability in the game by a mile. It basically transforms every single military unit you ever build into an incredibly powerful UU. If kills only healed 25 health and the bonus strength against injured units went away, this ability would still be really good. As it is, it's broken. You can fight incredibly aggressively and your units will just never die. By the way, it also applies to religious combat and makes Scythia probably the top choice for Religious Victory, too.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2016
    Mr. Shadows, Siptah and jaegybomb like this.
  18. The Highwayman

The Highwayman Warlord

I chose Gorgo's Greece. Still a good overall Civ thanks to the great extra WC slot and solid culture per kill, but the Hoplite is a little disappointing and the Acropolis takes up my precious hills.

I'm a little baffled the Germans have gathered that many votes....The Hansa + Free Imperial Cities is amazing for empire building. They save so much production while making more with the Hansa that building everything is a breeze. There's very little "Need Population of 7 to build this". They're able to meet the needs of any victory condition quite easily, except possibly Religion.

19. jaegybomb

jaegybomb Chieftain

Germany gets rolled over by the big 3 though. Super vulnerable early.

20. jaegybomb

jaegybomb Chieftain

I think the starting bias guarantees 1 horse and Scythia should be fitting in an encampment project anyway for a general. With their movement and healing ability they are great at cycling in units so you can definitely make use of more than 6 horsemen.