Is there a Civilization 5 combat mod?

cooldude1128

Prince
To expand on the title's question:
Is there a Civ4 mod that adds Civ5's version of combat? (units take away chunks of HP rather than immediately dying/killing the other unit.) One of my favorite things about Civilization 5 is that combat isn't up to pure RNG anymore-- You can have units survive combat and pull away if they come close to dying, and it almost completely removes my urge to just reload until I win the combat rounds. So, I'd like to know if there's a mod with this functionality for Civ4.

I don't know of a mod that does this, but increasing iWithdrawalProb for all units would have a similar effect. I haven't played Civ V so I don't know exactly how the functionality works, but given that it is a simple change to make you could test it out to see it does what you want.

I haven't played Civ 5 either, but I think air combat in Civ 4 works the same way: a fixed number of combat rounds.

I've written something similar to Archid's suggestion. (Because I was tired of reloading combat, especially early on against Raging Barbarians.) In my mod ("Pyrrhic Victories"), if a unit would die despite superior odds, combat ends in a retreat instead. I've come to think that limiting the number of combat rounds would be a better solution. That said, having to adjust the calculation of combat odds is slightly daunting, and the combat AI may require some changes as well; so I don't know if I'll actually get around to do this.

On a related note, Civ 5's flanking mechanism sounds like the most promising way to incentivize smaller stacks in Civ 4. Implementing that would be an even bigger task though.

Seconding what Chirpo said: just implement a set number of ''rounds'' per combat, akin to the current air-combat system.

If its the RNG you're more worried about though, that's fairly easy to fix - just remove all random number elements during combat calculations.

Top Bottom