1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Is there a decent unofficial patch that fixes some of the more glaring issues?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Creation & Customization' started by Peng Qi, Mar 25, 2015.

1. Peng Qi

Peng Qi Emperor

I realize 2K and Firaxis are pretty much done with this game, but there are some serious and glaring issues still present I was hoping someone had fixed WITHOUT adding a bunch of other crap. It's easy to find mods full of changes, but I want one that changes only a few things, most notably:

-The mess that is the Industrial and Modern era tech trees. (e.g. Flight and Artillery being so sorely misplaced, Destroyers being so absurdly late in the tech tree, Carriers becoming available alongside Battleships, etc.)

-City States going to perpetual war.

-Ice tiles being the same thing as mountains, and for the entire game.

I'd also love some AI improvements and the like, but my other desires are wishful thinking, I think. By far my biggest gripe is the tech tree fiasco. Does anyone have any mod recommendations that are preferably extremely light on the "adding new features" and heavy on the "fixing existing features?"

2. ThorHammerz

ThorHammerz zzz

Just to touch on this: city states will only go into perpetual war if a player has declared war on City States a set number (something like 4 in the base game?) of times. In short, it's an attempt by Firaxis to ensure that one must bear the consequences for shenanigans (i.e. worker stealing) against CS.

3. Peng Qi

Peng Qi Emperor

I'm talking about two city states being at war with each other forever despite their "overlords" being at peace, or in some cases, like my current Venice game, being at war with each other despite having the same overlord.

4. ThorHammerz

ThorHammerz zzz

Oh, that phenomenon.

Yea, that's annoying, thanks for bringing it up (I will definitely be fixing that in my own mod).

5. reddishrecue

reddishrecue Deity

The latest patch should be on steam already and it installs by itself whenever you log in. The game still has issues but I doubt that firaxis would come back and make a patch for it since civ 5 has been done and is now being worked on starships and Beyond earth now.

6. Peng Qi

Peng Qi Emperor

I'm talking about "unofficial" patches. Likely in the form of mods.

7. Dr. D

Dr. D Warlord

I can't believe they never fixed the bug in which the city center tile is not worked by a city after accepting said city in a peace deal.

8. Peng Qi

Peng Qi Emperor

And the AI Zulus still get to cheat with Impi. There are a handfull of pretty bad bugs still present.

9. joncnunn

joncnunn Senior Java Wizard Moderator

Moderator Action: Moved to Creation & Customization

10. Peng Qi

Peng Qi Emperor

Thanks! I got sick of looking around and not finding what I want so I'm making it myself now.

11. nokmirt

nokmirt Emperor

Sounds to me like you lucked out my CSs never fight which I think is absurd.

12. Natan35

Natan35 Mayor of St. Natansburg

You could use the community balance patch...but that's a total convertion mod.

13. kaspergm

kaspergm Deity

You should check out whowards "Pick'n'mix Mods" - he has a mod that addresses point 2, namely forces peace between city states once their allies are at peace. Works like a charm, but I think it requires his DLL mod also. Check out his home page and look for "City States no allied skirmishes" in the DLL required section.

Also he has a mod that adds some cool promotions that lets units cross ice and mountains. It also allows some modern ships to remove Ice I think. Check the "Terrain Crossing" mod in the Promotions section.

About the tech tree, there are mods that change the tech tree, but these are generally parts of larger mods that will normally make all-round gameplay changes, so whether that will match your specific wishes is hard to say.

14. Peng Qi

Peng Qi Emperor

I actually got fed up and learned enough XML to create my own mod for this over the last week. :D

Click here if you're interested.