Is there a difference in garrisoned units, Archer vrs Warrior?

Larsenex

King
So I am enjoying the game. I see that cities have strength and attack based on its SIZE and population. If I garrison a unit where can I see the difference and what is the value in doing this? Is there a benefit to having an Archer unit over a equally strong melee type say Spearman?

Thanks!

If I understand correctly, the troop that you garrison in your city will add to the city defense. That unit won't be individually attacked. So, having an archer will not strengthen your city that much, but it will allow for you to do an extra bombardment without exposing your archer to other units.

I think they're melee strength is added to the city defense value. So archers will not add much to the defense of the city, but can still do ranged attacks, which is certainly useful.

City defense is based on a city's population, any defensive buildings (e.g. walls), and your tech level (I think military techs, like Gunpowder, esp. add to it?). Adding a unit as a garrison adds directly to the city's defense value, based on the unit's value. Adding a warrior or scout adds a lot less than adding an artillery or infantry. I don't think it's directly based on their strength, but on their tech level. I had city's go from ~26-30 defense to about 40 with a garrisoned Arty, IIRC.

Top Bottom