1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[R&F] Is there a go-to Civic tree progression for CV?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Strategy & Tips' started by Darwokin, Feb 14, 2019.

1. Darwokin

Darwokin Chieftain

Hello!

Sorry if the question is non-sensical, I am fairly new to the game and I'd really like to learn, especially to do things consciously instead of....well this seems to be a good decision....maybe.

I'd like to progress towards a fast CV, and I am curious if there is a go-to progression on the Civic tree? Granted you have all the boosts... I understand that changes the order of course, so let's cross that out.

2. NorthernPalmyra

NorthernPalmyra Chieftain

no its a good question,I'm fairly new to civ 6 and not a very good player (so take what I say with a pinch of salt) I tend to go for political philosopy then reformed church to unlock theocracy if I'm playing as Russia and aiming for Religious victory

Hazmy likes this.
  3. sa1vy

sa1vy Chieftain

Usually what I do:
    Political philosophy (oligarchy for war, or classical republic for peace) > Drama and poetry > Games and Rec (for colossem, which is super helpful for any victory type) > feudalism > exploration. Then mass media is most important for Cristo. Much bigger priority than any other civic up till then. Then get Nat hist > conservation > space race > social media. (Edit: I did a derp and forgot Nat Hist is a req for Mass Media.) Maybe go for cultural heritage if you're running out of arch. spots. You can get Suffrage if you want, maybe before space race. If you have large cities, look at getting opera and ballet at a sensible point, but not before mass media. Cristo is literally game changing.
    Honestly though, 90% of your tourism comes from seaside resorts. Science is ironically more important than culture for CV. Go printing press (after basic sensible techs), then straight to flight > radio > computers. Get those seaside resorts running as soon as you can. Then get steel for eiffel tower for more seaside resorts.
    Don't forget to do open borders with civs and do trade routes to everyone. Don't completely eliminate a civ, as a one-city civ helps a lot with tourists.
    Toward the end, if you can get allied with a city state that gives culture tile improvements, fill your empire up with it, as every little bit helps. (every culture tile gives tourism after flight.) More builders to do that will help more than anything else while you're twiddling your thumbs after Cristo and Eiffel and seaside resorts.
    All this is rise and fall though, so it's pretty much moot at this point.

4. kb27787

kb27787 Chieftain

For GS, just beeline cold war (forget science just slot all the culture cards)... get rock bands and hopefully you have enough luck to roll one with the +2 level on wonder promotion.

Ski resorts are the most spammable things... spam them. Seaside resorts are harder without Eiffel due to the breathtaking requirement. Still, Eiffel will boost both (mountains become 6 appeal with Eiffel and your ski resorts will now be 6 instead of 4; 50% more effective--confirmed with actual play)

Take them on tour only performing on wonders and win!

5. Stamson

Stamson Chieftain

For whatever reason, EVERYONE seems to make Feudalism the benchmark and considers it super important. I can't really figure out why though.

The builder charges don't seem like that much of a game changer. The boost to Knight tech would make that seem to be the reason, but even in non-domination victories, people still seem to want it. Can someone explain this to me?

6. sa1vy

sa1vy Chieftain

This thread was specifically tagged rise and fall, not GS. But those tips seem reasonable for the expansion.

You basically covered it. The boost to Stirrups is pretty important. Besides that, serfdom makes your builders *way* more cost-efficient.It increases their uses by 67%. That's huge. At the time you're getting feudalism, you'll likely be in your last big wave of settler expansion cities. With ancestral hall (the best choice for most games), that'll give you a ton more free charges. The trap most people fall into though, is improving everything in their lands. Builders are way too expensive to do that. After turn 50, it's hardly worth improving anything that isn't a strategic or luxury resource. Harvesting is almost always better. And by that point, you can get pretty decent yields from them too, even without Magnus.

Stamson likes this.
  7. Stamson

Stamson Chieftain

Okay, I think I understand now. I just realized I've been neglecting governer plaza and Ancestral Hall way to much. Didn't realize how amazing it was.

Still, though, I can't see myself needing more than 3 building within the next 50 or so turns. Do you just make a bunch of extra ones and just let them sit? I still feel like this whole Feudalism thing isn't that big of a deal.

8. sa1vy

sa1vy Chieftain

Chop chop chop chop chop. That's what you do with them :) They give you so much extra production (especially paired with civic card production multipliers), or it's a great way to grow a city to a decent size quickly. It's even possible to forward settle way late in the game, with tiles of -20 loyalty. If you play the civic cards right, and your governor, you can grow a city fast enough to overcome the loyalty pressure. (You may also need a golden age. It can be really tricky, but it's possible.) This is really good for late game when you're building seaside resorts; if you find some land that has room for 3-4 more resorts, it's totally worth it.

Don't wait with your builder charges either. The effects snowball, meaning it's better to get a small boost earlier and let it grow, than a larger one later. Well, you can wait a few turns, if you know you're getting several eurekas/inspirations soon, since the chop production yield increases a lot with those.

If you see somewhere with 10 tiles of jungle or forest, don't think of it as lumber mills or growth. Think of it as Colosseum, or Cristo.

Ancestral hall is so good. I hardly ever hard build workers, aside from less than turn 50. And besides the few eureka boosts, or growing one certain city to large numbers (for inspirations, era score, and a hard building a few certain wonders), I never improve land (except strategic/luxuries). It's just not worth it. Most of your 15+ cities never need to grow beyond 7 pop, which they'll get to that naturally usually without farms. And the production isn't *that* big an issue, since you're chopping everything. Two 4 pop cities with a campus/theater square, with a library and amph is better than one 12 pop city with univ and arch museum. The investment (in terms of builder charges) is much greater getting that one big city going, than the two smaller ones. You could probably get a third smallish city for the cost of the one large one.

Also, when you get civil engineering, that's a good time to chop workers into more workers, since the card feeds its own production into more of them. It's easy to get 20-30 of them, which you'll need for all the resorts (and building forests next to them).

Stamson likes this.
  9. Jarms48

Jarms48 Chieftain

Natural History would be a main one for some CV strats. The faster you unlock that the fast you can find archeological sites and unlock archeologists.

10. Stamson

Stamson Chieftain

Ah okay. That's right around when the Naturalists come in too I think. Do you chop, buy, or hard build your archaeologists?

How much faith do you have saved up by then? I always struggle to find the balance between culture/tourism and faith when I do CVs. And that usually means I can only buy Naturalist and have to wait a long time before more come in.