1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Is there a incentive not take cities?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Strategy & Tips' started by RancidTwinkie, Oct 19, 2011.

1. binhthuy71

binhthuy71 Emperor

True that. I try to avoid war in CiV mostly because I'm trying to get Cultural victories with non-Culture focused civs (I played Polynesia in the game I mentioned - did it by a few turns) and also because the AI is just plain silly most of the time. It does okay on Defense, Offense is just ludicrous.

2. SarutobiSasuke

SarutobiSasuke Chieftain

I usually attempt to conquer whoever invades me, but then every game turns into a domination game for me. It's just easier to conquer the AI rather than allowing them to grow out of control.

3. Derpy Hooves

Derpy Hooves Grand Inquisitor

The problem I have with the military deterrent strategy is that this deterrent is generally so large you can easily conquer several of the offending AI's cities, kind of defeating the purpose.
    Whereas if you just build what you would actually need to hold off an invasion (coupla archers, artillery, w/e) they will just attack you because your 'score' is not high enough.

To get around the AI's blatant cheating in king+ you have to be more efficient and planning then the AI, yet the AI expects you to play the same way as them.

4. Tsaghen

Tsaghen Chieftain

I usually have a small but highly trained army ─6 to 8 units with 5 or more promotions─ and then the AI almost never declares war on me even though they have a much bigger army in numbers. Before the army is trained enough I often get one or two declarations.
    If I get too far behind in warfare technologies the AI seems to ignore the promotions.

Or maybe it's something else I do on most games ...

5. Maktaka

Maktaka Warlord

But you can quickly make that up thanks a human's touch. You'll easily grow the city larger with more productivity and income than a gold-obsessed puppet could achieve.