Is there a mod that allows buying Great People starting in Medieval era or earlier?

Cissnei

Warlord
Does there exist a mod that allow purchase of Great People with faith starting in Medieval Era (instead of Industrial) or even earlier?
It would be really awesome with Eras mods, since without this faith is pretty useless (after founding religion)

Not without a modded DLL (or a large amount of complex Lua to mod the UI and implement AI logic)

Any mods you'd recommend to make use of faith early (pre-industrial)?

I'm using Eras-Medieval mod and the faith gain is useless for the most part.

Any mods you'd recommend to make use of faith early (pre-industrial)?

I'm using Eras-Medieval mod and the faith gain is useless for the most part.
Eras-Medieval mod stops you in the Medieval Era?
  1. If so, then you've encountered one of the many imbalances that can come from using one of those "Stop Science in Era-X" mods.
  2. I could see how that would make Faith seem pretty useless, especially if not attempting to actually play wide ala the way wide was defined in Civ4 and earlier. I suppose you could just let the game spam Great Prophets for you, and use them to discommode your adversaries -- but even this could be a 'poisoned' strategy if your religion is better than that of any of your adversaries.
  3. It's really tough to make one of those types of mods and to get everything to work well since so many of the game's systems are limited to an assumption that you are going to use the full set of Eras, etc., and there are quite a few things that aren't coded anywhere but in the game's dll:
    • Nowhere in the game's xml is there a specification of which Great People can be purchased once a particular policy branch is completed.
    • All there is is the text that shows in-game telling you which branch allows which great person purchase, but this is not actual code that affects game play
    • We could replace the words "Great Artists" and "Great Writers" in the in-game displayed text for finishing which policy branches allow which types of people to be purchased via Faith with the words "Great Hamburgers" and "Great Cheeseburgers" and the game would function no differently.
    • For the Reformation Belief "To Glory of God" all there is is "FaithPurchaseAllGreatPeople", and everything else is handled at DLL or UI-interface level.

I guess there's nothing I can do then. I'm a really newbie modder too, I was hoping someone already had done it

I guess there's nothing I can do then.

Use a modded DLL - either mine ("DLL - Various Mod Components") or the CP one - and either write a micro-mod or edit the DB\CONFIG\GameInXml.xml file directly, and change the value(s) of

Code:
	<PostDefines>
		<Row Name="RELIGION_LAST_FOUND_ERA">
			<Key>ERA_RENAISSANCE</Key>
			<Table>Eras</Table>
		</Row>
		<Row Name="RELIGION_GP_FAITH_PURCHASE_ERA">
			<Key>ERA_INDUSTRIAL</Key>
			<Table>Eras</Table>
		</Row>
		<Row Name="IDEOLOGY_START_ERA">
			<Key>ERA_INDUSTRIAL</Key>
			<Table>Eras</Table>
		</Row>
	</PostDefines>

What are the downsides/consequences of using a modded DLL?

You can only use one modded DLL at a time, meaning that if mod X and mod Y require a different modded DLL, only one of them (either mod X or mod Y) can be enabled.

What are the downsides/consequences of using a modded DLL?

In addition to what Troller0001 said, DLLs only work on Windows, so if you use a modded one then the mod won't work on Mac or Linux.

I did it and it worked! Thank you~!
Can you also tell me how to change policy descriptions to say "allows purchasing XXX in Medieval Era" instead of "Industrial Era"? It's purely visual but I think it will be complete with that

You'll need to change the TXT_KEY_POLICY_BRANCH_TRADITION_HELP et al values (look in CIV5GameTextInfos_Jon_Expansion2.xml)

You'll need to change the TXT_KEY_POLICY_BRANCH_TRADITION_HELP et al values (look in CIV5GameTextInfos_Jon_Expansion2.xml)

Huh this is weird... I edited it, and everything works fine except for Commerce. Commerce stays the same no matter what I do. I can't make it say "Medieval".
And I made sure I changed it in the files. The other policies worked fine

Huh this is weird... I edited it, and everything works fine except for Commerce. Commerce stays the same no matter what I do. I can't make it say "Medieval".
And I made sure I changed it in the files. The other policies worked fine
Are you doing this as a mod or are you directly-editing the text-file William directed you to?

It shouldn't theoretically make any difference so far as what you see in-game, but sometimes the "Language-table" stuff is a little erratic in what shows in-game for some people, most likely because of the way the game builds 'cached' databases (or people are editing the incorrect file for the expansion they have, but William directed you specifically to the correct BNW file). I found the only reliable method is the 'do it as a mod' one for these issues.

Yeah I will do it as a mod~
Except everything else is falling apart now so I will probably just uninstall at this point.

Ok, I made a mod and it worked!
However, I have another issue that someone might help me with
This is a heavily modded game with lots of stuff running
http://imgur.com/rd6hXHm
Basically, my tourism button is bugged in 2 ways, one of which bothers me

1. It displays great works that dont exist, but I know this comes from some mods that add slots and it's super hard to put together. I don't care about this, that screen almost never works with mods.
2. I can't access this display screen using the top-right corner button, as shown on the image. I know this bug is pretty common but I have no idea how to fix it, as it only happens on this custom scenario/map (custom map with true start and some custom rules)
I only care about fixing the button itself.
Any ideas?

Top Bottom