1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Is there a point to the AI GPT demands...

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by DizzKneeLand33, Oct 25, 2019.

1. DizzKneeLand33

DizzKneeLand33 Fall from Heaven 2 still rocks

.... or should I just remove this function from the coding? I mean, sometimes it's every 3 turns and nothing happens when you say no.

Or, is there a function where when you say no that it should sometimes declare war on you, like the first 5 iterations of the game? :crazyeye:

2. leandrombraz

leandrombraz Emperor

I always wondered what is the point of the demand mechanic, considering that the player will never accept a demand and denying one doesn't mean anything. It feels like it's a mechanic that is there just because, there wasn't much consideration to which role it's supposed to play in a game. If they remove it, I won't even notice.

3. Jaybe

Jaybe civus fanaticus Supporter

The point is to remind you (in your face style) that they are pissed at you. Also to provide the opportunity for you to adjust their opinion of you... up or down... with your response.

If I am doing well I might accept their demands just to mix up the dynamics a little, or make a counter demand (or DOW, of course).

4. tetley

tetley Head tea leaf

Once I had Teddy demand 16 gold from me one-time. Uh...okay....

5. Beaver79

Beaver79 Warlord

It is the absolute worst feature of the game. If you accept the demand they will actually hate you worse. Saying no does nothing. It's only purpose is to annoy the player, if you want to know if the AI is pissed at you look at the frowning red face.

It forces me to play the game with 2 hands. One on the mouse and the other with a finger by the escape key to auto-reject. If you just use the mouse you have to click twice in different spots and risk a misclick.

TAKE IT OUT~!

6. tetley

tetley Head tea leaf

I had Nubia make a demand of me, and in a rage I felt I had to payback and I turned around and demanded 100 gold from her. She placated.

7. Karmah

Karmah King Supporter

I say yes when I'm flushed and they ask for a single digit gpt if I'm interrested in getting the small diplo bonus that goes with it , if I want to start snowballing back to friendship or simply keep one particular AI off my back. And no ,they don't hate you more. Bonus diplo are per turn ,attitute toward you is the net result of diplo points over time. Getting a small bonus can mean getting back to green in bonus; It might still take a while to expunge a very low score due to past very negative modifiers that have been gone.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2019
  8. Lily_Lancer

Lily_Lancer Emperor

If you declare war on them they'll just offer money for peace every few turns instead of making such meaningless demands.

9. beestar

beestar subdeity

It prevents them from declaring war for 30 turns. Slightly useful if you are being threatened by a more powerful nearby AI, and need time to build up your defenses or military

(or at least that's how it worked in earlier versions!)

10. Isengardtom

Isengardtom Warlord

I read somewhere that it actually makes them respect you even less if you give in to the demand

11. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

But is likely incorrect. It is a way of saying I am bigger than you, give me money or I may attack you.

I did do some anecdotal tests one game and accepting many threats the civs did seem to warm to me more but it is all anecdotal and hidden.

leandrombraz and Isengardtom like this.