Is there a possibility of getting to the first unread post instead of the last?

DRJ

Hedonist
Hi! Title says it all: Is there a possibilty to get to the first unread post in a thread which has a lot of new posts?

For example there is a heavily discussed thread and I come back the next day, having to click and click to get to a "known point" in the discussion.
If I click on the arrow leading to new posts regarding a thread, couldn't it be that it leads me to the first unread post instead of the very last one?

Any ideas?

I'm not sure what you mean. The little "down" arrow to the left of a thread title goes to the first unread post. The little "right" arrow to the right of the user's name in the "Last Post" column goes to the last post in that thread.

What he said ^^^

I'm really glad this thread got made, I had no idea about this! :) This just made my weekend (well that, and the leftover turkey).

Maybe some enterprising poster should compile a list of all the "shortcuts" and "maybe not obvious" features of vBulletin at CFC. :)

I've actually thought of a related question somewhere else, don't think I've mentioned it in feedback though. First, I am happy with the "jump to latest post" feature, so it's not that, but on a related topic:

For page numbering, who thinks it would be more convenient to have the 1st page, and then last 10 pages linked? Currently, the first 10 pages are always the ones that appear under a thread title, and then only the last. However, in many types of threads that tend to become rather long, it seems to me that it would be much more useful to have links to the more recent posts - so rather than going to the last page and then linking your way back, just be able to go to any of the last 10 pages (the first would always be there, for the OP and all.) Essentially, I don't think this would matter for many discussion threads - anything less that 10 pages wouldn't be affected, but then you have regularly updated but long threads that might be a couple dozens pages in, and the first 10 pages are months old posts with nothing relevant to current discussion, and we only have the option of "first 10 or last" page. It's really not a big deal, but since someone took the time to bring this up here already, and it's related, just wanted to put that out there and see if anyone else ever noticed that.

I like that idea.

I'm not sure what you mean. The little "down" arrow to the left of a thread title goes to the first unread post. The little "right" arrow to the right of the user's name in the "Last Post" column goes to the last post in that thread.

Also, if you click on the thread and get the OP, you can click on the "View First Unread" link just about the OP.

btw, you can edit a thread title up to 24 hours after you made a thread (that's still in effect, right?) by clicking on edit post in your original post. you then get the edit page where you have a box at the top with the thread title that can be changed.

took me quite a while to figure that out.

Top Bottom