1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

is there a way, in this world, to repair relationships?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Jim Bro, Jun 24, 2011.

1. Jim Bro

Jim Bro Emperor of Quebec

in my game, i have 5 civs who all declared war against me in the 1930s and 50 years later, none of them wants to be at peace with me. i've never done anything to them except bypassing them for wonder production. they are on other continents. perhaps they are just jealous because i'm leading the game but still i was wondering if there is a way to become friends with them. there is no solution i could find out. it seems like jealousy impairs the AI rationale in civ5.

2. qcdtics

qcdtics Chieftain

3. Montov

Montov King

If you are winning, the AI tends to get mad. Which is a good thing, because it would make the endgame boring if you just have to wait the last dozens of turns until victory. Now you need to watch your back and prepare for a last push of the AI.

But in the next patch there will be more ways to stay happy with AI, including bribing them with good deals.

4. Jim Bro

nice! i hope they improve the diplomacy.

like i could understand that the third world rallies against the superpower but not to declare war all at the same time for absolutely no reason and to all refuse peace 50 years later despite having no chance to harm me whatsoever. there is no way i could have seen this coming (i know there are random events BUT). it's just poor AI and it's totally unrealistic.

if we're nice the whole game and only go to war because others have attacked you first, then we shouldn't be labeled warmongers and hated that much.

5. Misterboy

Misterboy Modern Major General

Although possible, I find it unlikely that all the AIs just went from Friendly directly into declaring war. Most likely, they forecast their disapproval to you in some form or another. In case you aren't aware, you can hover over their "adjective" in the diplomacy drop down and see what they think of you.

While AIs will sometimes backstab you, or go from "Friendly" to declaring war... they usually go through a process of becoming "guarded" and then "hostile".

That's not to say you could do anything about it, but it would help you understand what is going on. The game will say things like, "they believe you are trying to win the game the same way as them", or "you are competing for the favor of the same city states", or "they covet land you own" etc.

I only point this out in the hopes that it is less mystifying as to why the AI is acting like it does. I don't think you can see the diplo modifiers after they've declared war though...

6. Jim Bro

i don't remember exactly but i think 2 out of 5 were friendly and went directly to war, without any process of being hostile or guarded. i can understand that there are irrational behavior and backstabbing in history BUT this goes a little bit far.

by the way, i burnt some cities so yeah i'm a bit of a warmonger but what doesn't make sense to me is that they ALL declared war at the same time and they all refuse to make peace even if they can't do anything even if I was nice to them the whole game. i'm angry that there is no way to improve relationships.

i know how to see what they think of me but thx for the tip anyways.

7. Misterboy

Misterboy Modern Major General

Poor little AI civs. You can't blame them for trying. You should feel sympathy for them.

Or... if you're in such a strong position, you could nuke them for being belligerent! :satan:

8. Jim Bro

no i can't nuke them unfortunately i have 1920s technology even if i'm in the late 1980s. but i'll take care of them sooner or later.

9. thadian

thadian Kami of Awakened Dreamers

capture their biggest cities once they settle little arctic or desert or island cities and "exile" them to their new homes.

10. apocalypse105

apocalypse105 Deity

No its a bad thing it makes the AI bad at diplomacy wich is crucial in this game...Thats what this topic is about "diplomacy"

Well i agree i dont mind a few backstabbers or people who pretent to be nice but will atack me. But now olmost every AI does this there is no AI person that has a bid of loyalty.

11. BobDole

BobDole American Leader in Civ VI

No, the AIs do have loyalty, even if you're winning. Just because you're in the lead doesn't mean they'll attack you; keep good relations with them and they'll totally forget you're actually in the lead. If that many civs are turning on you, they probably didn't like you that much in the first place.
    As for whether or not it's a "bad" thing for the AI to "play to win", well...people complained about the AI not playing to win in other Civ games. Doesn't mean that it's right necessarily, but people did ask for it.

12. Drawmeus

Drawmeus Emperor

It's a "Damned if they do" kind of thing. For some people, the AI playing to win is abhorrent and spoils the game. For others, the AI NOT playing to win has that effect. The only real difference in Civ V is it's a different group of people complaining about the AI's approach to victory conditions.

As far as building relationships go, it looks like they're addressing the whole mess in the next patch.

13. Sonereal

Sonereal ♫We got the guillotine♫ Supporter

Don't kill civilizations and return stolen workers (when you recapture them from barbarians) is all I can think of.

The next patch, thankfully, will fix this problem.

14. cccv

cccv King

There's only a few reasons I can think of AIs on the other continent getting mad at you.

Taking too many CSs. Soultion: Don't take more than 1.

Eliminating other civs. Solution: Leave them broken with a single miserable city. They rarely bother you anymore anyway.

And I suppose if you get denounced a lot they may be swayed, but I honestly haven't found that to be a problem since the last patch. I also haven't had them get mad at me for wonder-whoring, but I don't do it often, and when I do, maybe I just get lucky and don't whore the wonders they want.

I rarely see friendly AI go nuts because you're winning. That only tends to happen with the science victory, and even then it sometimes happens, sometimes doesn't.

But yeah, not pissing them off in the first place is pretty much the best thing you can do.

15. Jim Bro

OHHHHH that's why. I killed my 3 neighbours (after they attacked me) so the world was probably mad because of that. do you think it could have helped if I had left them their capitals (only)? do we get a diplomatic loss for eliminating someone or once we burn, we're already considered a warmonger??

16. cccv

cccv King

To get significant hate you have to eliminate them /completely/. I suggest that you do take their capitols. 1-- it breaks them and they'll give you a ton in the peace settlement (unless you appear so weak that they have a chance to take it back), and 2-- they can no longer win the game by any means. No, what you want to do is take as many cities as would be useful to you, plus the capitol. Don't leave them strong enough to come back, just let them keep a city or two.

As far as I know, razing doesn't give you a stronger negative modifier. I don't happen to know, however, if it makes a difference if you're the one DoWing or not. All I know is that eliminating a CS or civ completely will tick off the other AI a lot.