1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Is there a way to change the name of the rival leaders?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Kublai-Khan, Jan 11, 2011.

1. Kublai-Khan

Kublai-Khan Prince

I would like to play against the HRE, but Charlemagne was a stupid choice by the game makers, I would like to be able to change the name of Charlemagne to Otto, or some Hohenstaufen

2. lymond

lymond Rise Up! (Phoenix Style!) Hall of Fame Staff

Well, Charlemagne is by no means a stupid choice.

The only way I know how to possible do this is change the name in the Wordbuilder save file. Open the save in Notepad and change the Leader Name. However, I'm sure there is a permanent way of making this change in the code since modders create or modify leaders all the time. I would ask this question over on the Mod forum (C&C) - I'm sure you will find your answer and maybe they already have Leaderheads you can use to provide the full effect.

3. Yoshiegg737

Yoshiegg737 Jungo Jungo

Yeah, you can definatly change their names through modding. But if you do, I would think that you have to change alot of other things if you do. I don't think that this is as simple as it seems but I may be wrong

4. jgroth1978

jgroth1978 Warlord

Charlemagne is great. Not only is he the Holy Roman emperor, he also surprised me with a Whopper and fries the other day.

5. Shoes

Shoes Warlord

If you wanna change his name permanetly go to your Civ4 folder enter the BTS folder (or Warlords if he is a Warlords leader I cant remember) then Assets, in that folder open the XML folder- After that open the Civilizations folder and in it open the file named CIV4LeaderHeadsInfos with notepad (or MS Word whatever). In it you have to find Charlamagne and when you do go change (2nd or 3rd row im not sure)

<Description>TXT_KEY_LEADER_CHARLEMAGNE</Description>

to

<Description>*Type Desired Name Here*</Description>

PS: DONT write TXT_KEY_LEADER just the name you want!

PPS: Civilizations folder is in the Assets folder

6. Mec AntiKythera

Mec AntiKythera King

And then post a 10,000 word essay on why it was a stupid choice . . .

7. Shoes

Shoes Warlord

well im not saying it should be done but civ was made to be moddable and if he wants to rename his leaders why not? I named shaka MRjerk so what?

8. ywhtptgtfo

ywhtptgtfo Emperor

Charlemagne is not a good choice because he wasn't just a Holy Roman Emperor, but that he was also King of the French.

It's like putting Maria Theresa as leader of the Hungarian Empire or Charles V as leader of the Spanish Empire.

9. s.bernbaum

s.bernbaum Mostly lurking

Not quite the same.

Firstly, Charlemagne was the first Holy Roman Emperor. Prior to him, there had been no Western Roman empire, except in name for quite some time, and the title of Emperor of the West was being used as secondary title by the Emperor of the East (or as we now call him the Byzantine Emperor). Even after the Goths destroyed the Western Roman Empire, their leaders styled themselves King of Rome and gave lip service at the least to the Byzantine Emperor, who they referred to as THE Roman Emperor.

Secondly, all of the Holy Roman Emperors were the rulers of European countries. That was one of the requirements to be appointed, or later elected, Holy Roman Emperor. You had to already be an important ruler of a European country.

I am currently on the second last chapter of my long trek through Gibbons' "Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire", so it is all quite fresh in my mind.

10. lymond

s.b. already addressed this, but you are completely off base. All Holy Roman Emperors were also leaders of some country, countries or empire. You are making absolutely no sense here. So let me get this straight, Charlemagne should not be in the game for HRE because he actually was the Holy Roman Emperor and also King of the Franks. That's just ridiculous.

The OP has some merit in the suggestion of Otto since he was technically the first emperor of the HRE when "Holy" or "Sacrum" was added. However, that is really just all semantics. Later they would add "Germans" to the end of it. It was still the same basic entity it was when Charlemagne was crowned and it was Charlemagne who instituted the policy of restoring the Roman Empire.

11. ywhtptgtfo

ywhtptgtfo Emperor

I am not off-base.

The empire that Charlemagne ruled was the predecessor of both France (West Francia) and the Holy Empire (East Francia). While you argued that it is the same base entity as the HRE, how does it necessarily not have a similarly close relationship with France?

And of course, we already know France and HRE are not the same.

12. lymond

They were under Charlemagne though. Well, at least I think I get what your were trying to say in your original point, I guess. The fact that the Frankish Empire split up after Charlemagne died and that he actually ruled an area that would later not be part of the HRE (ever changing borders). However, the Frankish Empire was the Empire of the Romans under Charlemagne. What Charlemagne achieved and his very desire to reestablish the Roman Empire that lead to HRE anyway - he's the father of it all.

13. vranasm

vranasm Deity

well to be fair the HRE was never compact empire the way we usually look at it (at least that's what I got from reading about our Bohemia history).

When you mix France, Germany, Austria and Czech Rep. in one Empire you don't usually get compact nation with land.

edit:

btw when you edit the name I would prefer Karel IV (he got the rulership I think) or Premysl Otakar II (even though I think he didn't get the rulership at all)

14. lymond

oh no! Not Czech Leaders! :eek::eek::eek::eek: :lol: :rolleyes:

15. ywhtptgtfo

ywhtptgtfo Emperor

On the other hand, it was of a very different nature compared to the Holy Roman Empire. The Frankish Empire was arguably a French Empire while the Holy Roman Empire was mostly a German Empire.

Additional factors to consider is that both East and West Francia were highly important successor realms of Charlemagne's empire and the "Holy Roman Empire" technically did not exist until years after Charlemagne's death.

My point is that Charlemagne's empire was a common ancestor of France and HRE and thus it is very awkward to assign him as the leader for the latter because he is as much a Holy Roman Emperor as a French Emperor.

The same applies for Charles V, who is of mixed Austrian and Spanish lineage and also fortunately not in the game as a Spanish or HRE leader.

16. ywhtptgtfo

ywhtptgtfo Emperor

Come to the think of it, there isn't really any slavic leader in this game other than Stalin and Peter (Cathy is a German in fact). A Polish leader would be nice, since the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth was actually a large and powerful state before it got owned by the Russians. However, space victory should be automatically disabled for this civilization.

17. diegovelasco45

diegovelasco45 Casual civ4 emperor lvl

I think including the Holy Romans as a civilization was wrong. They can be easily replaced historically by the romans, (north of italy) the french or the germans.

It is like including the Soviets as a civilization. They were important, but for the most part they were russians.

Now Charlemagne is historically way more important than Otto, or some Hohenstaufen.

18. ywhtptgtfo

ywhtptgtfo Emperor

It would in fact be nice to have an Austrian Empire instead of a Holy Roman Empire, since the Austrians played a very big role in history and were the main force behind the HRE. Even though they were ethnically German, so were the Dutch.

19. lymond

I disagree with the above. If anything, the HRE was decidedly un-Roman. I do think if one made an argument that HRE doesn't belong in CIV is that I would not consider it a "civilization". It was a 'realm" but really more of a union of states - that became even looser over the ages. However, as a realm it was certainly a very important, meaningful, influential and powerful entity for a very long time.

I do agree with y....(wtf is that username...geez :) ) that it could easily be replace with various other true civilizations like the Franks, Austrians, Prussians or what not. There really should be Austria in this game, as well as Poland and probably Bohemia.

20. diegovelasco45

diegovelasco45 Casual civ4 emperor lvl

Well maybe their blood wasn't, but the territory (Gaul and the north of italy) and things like Christianity were inherited from the romans.

And I don't agree about Austria. It did play a role in history (German unification, Napoleonic wars, WWI) but not enough to make it worth it for a Civ.

I think a Hebrew (Israeli?) Civ would make more sense, since they founded a mayor religion and played a huge role in past and current conflicts.