Is there a way to disable sanctioning civilizations in world congress?

Laz0r

Warlord
Being sanctioned is kind of obnoxious because it punishes the player for not going full authority warmonger and trying to play peacefully given that it has zero counterplay, heavily damages a tall-peaceful player's economy and science, and is a nuisance at worst for a wide warmonger player who can just acquire vassals for research agreements and trade routes.

He is just wrong. An obvious counter-play is voting against it, trading votes and diplomacy in general.
You're wrong. If you play 22 civs and 41 city states like I do, you'll never have enough votes to avoid a sanction unless you are playing austria if enough AI's hate you. That, and trading votes is useless because of how impractically expensive it is. potentially thousands or tens of thousands of gold just for 3-5 votes out of 100 existing votes is kind of nutty. None of this would be an issue but the AI only likes to sanction you if you aren't wide warmongering, and so I end up almost never getting sanction attempts against me if I have a lot of cities and troops, and I get early sanctioned if I play tradition.

You're wrong. If you play 22 civs and 41 city states like I do, you'll never have enough votes to avoid a sanction unless you are playing austria if enough AI's hate you.
That's a very custom setting. The game is balanced mainly around standard size with 8 civs. Do AI wants to sanction you even if they like you? If so, it's probably a bug to be reported. If they doesn't like you, then the counterplay could be improving relations.

That's a very custom setting. The game is balanced mainly around standard size with 8 civs. Do AI wants to sanction you even if they like you? If so, it's probably a bug to be reported. If they doesn't like you, then the counterplay could be improving relations.
I think the AI is working as intended, it's just that the AI always treats warmongers with a lot of cities/troops better than a tradition civ that is outpacing them on culture/science/wonders. Ergo, they always try a sanction on a successful tradition civ while barely if ever doing it when you go wide. And improving relations isn't really practical when you have 15 of 22 civs that hate you just because you have wonders and a lot of culture, or don't really hate you at all but just value "YES" on sanctioning you more than any other option on the voting board for whatever reason.

So I’ve seen these kind of threads a few times now…what seems to start as a simple question actually appears to just be a balance rant.

I would siggest to the OP, if you just want some information, just ask without condemnation of a mechanic. I think people will be more helpful to you, and if they are not, then they get chided!

If you want to start a balance discussion, by all means start a thread with that in mind and we will debate.

But I feel like this thread is wanting to do both, and so instead does neither

Top Bottom