1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Is There A Way To Tell How Many Units

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by Bandobras Took, Jul 7, 2019.

1. Bandobras Took

Bandobras Took Chieftain

. . . are defending an opposing city? I just picked up Complete off of Steam and my memory's a bit vague. :)

2. justanick

justanick Chieftain

3. Kirejara

Kirejara Chieftain

If you are unable to place a spy into your enemies capital, you can count the defenders by bombarding them with artillery, aircraft oder warships since the strongest defenders is allways at the top.

This works of course only if you have more bombard units than the enemy has defenders. ;)

4. Bandobras Took

Bandobras Took Chieftain

That was worth a chuckle.

So there's really no practical way before the Industrial Era? That may explain why I've not enjoyed early wars in the past. Thanks.

5. justanick

justanick Chieftain

Properly used artillery can be worth a lot. Trebuchets are good for attacking cities.

AI will defend its capital and cities with wonders with more units than regular settlements. That helps for guessing the amount of defenders.

6. Bandobras Took

Bandobras Took Chieftain

Right up until you run into that size-1 city that happens to be defended by 7 units. Moving troops to the north isn't that helpful when all it accomplishes is to find out that the correct choice was to have moved them south eight turns ago. I'm looking for something to help with the strategic decisions rather than the tactical.

7. CKS

CKS Chieftain

If you aren't at war yet, you can investigate cities once you have an embassy. This only requires writing.

tjs282 likes this.
  8. Buttercup

Buttercup Chieftain

Oh I quite agree, it's really annoying not being able to right click on a city and get a drop-down of units the same as you would if they were in the open field during warfare. I guess they really wanted to make the Spy function be more useful. As if ancient age people didn't have spies, lol.

9. Spoonwood

Spoonwood Grand Philosopher

If I recall correctly, I'd have to look it up to know for certain, spies also lower the cost of stealing a tech. So, it can be more difficult to steal tech before a spy.

Buttercup likes this.
  10. Theov

Theov Chieftain

you get a view at the capital if you establish an embassy

11. vorlon_mi

vorlon_mi Just One More Turn

Agree. The answer to your original question is (summarizing): Yes, you can see the defenders in a city when you're not at war. It's really difficult to see them when you *are* at war.

12. Civinator

Civinator Blue Lion Supporter

Bandobras Took, if you really like cheating (and what you want is something like a cheat), set the biq of the mod/scenario or the main biq to Debug Mode with the editor. This allows you to see every unit on the map and looking into each city on the map (and many other things) during the complete game. On the other side your civ in such a game will have the name DEBUG and there are some (for players) disturbing additional messages in the techtree windows.

Debug Mode is mostly used to create Civ 3 mods and scenarios.

Attached Files:

Spoonwood likes this.