Is there an official (or unofficial consensus) Vox Populi map script?

Nope, there isn't. If you search in the past threads you will find several where people argue to death about their favorite maps and settings.

Many people like Communitas while others say it creates too many resources and others counter them saying that it is now using the standard distribution function, so it should not be the case anymore, it also sometimes causes CTDs upon map generation for some people. For me it was creating too many 1-tile wide loooong straits between the continents, but it was probably because I like crowded maps.

Then I switched to Tectonic (not Tectonics!!!! It is a different script), which became my favorite map script by far, but last autumn the game started getting stuck on large maps for me with Tectonic, so I changed to the Planet Simulator which is almost as good - except it tends to create 1-tile islands too often sometimes, otherwise it creates nice land masses, enough oceans, so that you cannot circumnavigate the world before Astronomy.

Other people like Oval, PerfectWorld3, Pangea, maybe I forgot some more. And the TSL maps like YNAEMP. I think your map choice will be the same regardless of playing VP or not.

The communitas map script is probably the nearest to what you ask, but that's not a consensus since most people use their own favorite map script (yet another earth map, tectonic, continent++ (variant of continent plus where you delete the part forcing city states to be on islands), ...)

Pangaea or Oval. And that's clearly a consensus because I said it :D

I use Planet Simulator and it's similar to continents, but the continents are much bigger and sometimes it can create 3-4 continents with plenty of land, nice river banks and such. It can also be erratic though.

Nope, there isn't. If you search in the past threads you will find several where people argue to death about their favorite maps and settings.

Many people like Communitas while others say it creates too many resources and others counter them saying that it is now using the standard distribution function, so it should not be the case anymore, it also sometimes causes CTDs upon map generation for some people. For me it was creating too many 1-tile wide loooong straits between the continents, but it was probably because I like crowded maps.

Then I switched to Tectonic (not Tectonics!!!! It is a different script), which became my favorite map script by far, but last autumn the game started getting stuck on large maps for me with Tectonic, so I changed to the Planet Simulator which is almost as good - except it tends to create 1-tile islands too often sometimes, otherwise it creates nice land masses, enough oceans, so that you cannot circumnavigate the world before Astronomy.

Other people like Oval, PerfectWorld3, Pangea, maybe I forgot some more. And the TSL maps like YNAEMP. I think your map choice will be the same regardless of playing VP or not.
if you don't like one tiles island with communitas, you can have two atlantic rift , wide if you want to have two big continent or narrow if you want to have more landmass .

if you don't like one tiles island with communitas, you can have two atlantic rift , wide if you want to have two big continent or narrow if you want to have more landmass .
This does not work for me unfortunately - not in the Communitas bundled with VP. I think it is related to the number of civs. It seems as if the landmasses were created and then enlarged to fit all the civs in which would almost connect them so in order to keep them separated the long 1-tile rifts are created with very little open ocean - I know the map generation does not work this way, I am just describing what it looks like for me - could be a local bug on my side, but cannot imagine how it would be happening. I also saw similar complaints from other users before, so I think I am not the only one.

The only thing that solved it for me was choosing high sea level, but then the continents were too narrow and sneaky, which gives a big disadvantage to AI militarily.

Trust me, I tried all kinds of settings before. I used to play GEM on the Communitas map all the time. Now I like the Tectonic the most, but the game gets stuck roughly in industrial.

The communitas map script is probably the nearest to what you ask, but that's not a consensus since most people use their own favorite map script (yet another earth map, tectonic, continent++ (variant of continent plus where you delete the part forcing city states to be on islands), ...)

Do you have a link to where I can find continents++ ?

The thing i don't like about communitas is that it creates tons of 1 tile long rivers, which makes combat and movement super unbearable

Not what your looking for, but try Small Continents Plus, in the Scrambled Continents pack, on large. I find it has a nice balance: enough islands and continents so that civs with sea-minded UU's and UB's can flex their naval muscles, but with landmasses large enough that players who like big, fat, 3-radius cities can still find good locations. Has both the archipelago feel and the continents feel.

I fully enjoy Communitas with the Terra map function (so all civs start on largest continent).

I fully enjoy Communitas with the Terra map function (so all civs start on largest continent).

Fractal usually creates interesting maps too. It seems to create a lot more stone and horses than other map types, but it's still pretty good.

Where do I download other map style packs?

I'm still trying to figure out what kind of map I like. I like islands, but not too much, or it becomes biased for certain Civs and peaceful play. I don't mind starting on a continent with other civs, but I don't like having tons and tons of settling room. I actually think I like lots of stringy weirdly-shaped mini-continents or something. I don't know. In any case, I usually end up playing Communitas, and am just annoyed if my starting continent is too big.

Where do I download other map style packs?

I'm still trying to figure out what kind of map I like. I like islands, but not too much, or it becomes biased for certain Civs and peaceful play. I don't mind starting on a continent with other civs, but I don't like having tons and tons of settling room. I actually think I like lots of stringy weirdly-shaped mini-continents or something. I don't know. In any case, I usually end up playing Communitas, and am just annoyed if my starting continent is too big.
You are calling for fractal. If you want it more crowded, increase number of players.

You are calling for fractal. If you want it more crowded, increase number of players.

I appreciate the reply for Fractal and I'll try that out again. To clarify, though, I didn't mean more crowded when referring to settling room - I guess what I'm saying is that when there is a HUGE continent it feels like you can fit a million cities on it no matter how many players there are - I just want not too much open space in the first place as opposed to unused space.

I appreciate the reply for Fractal and I'll try that out again. To clarify, though, I didn't mean more crowded when referring to settling room - I guess what I'm saying is that when there is a HUGE continent it feels like you can fit a million cities on it no matter how many players there are - I just want not too much open space in the first place as opposed to unused space.
Ah, you're referring Terra setting. In advanced options, avoid Terra so all continents are settled at the beginning.

I think doughnut with inner ocean is the fairest and most competitive map. Everyone on the inner ocean is connected, everyone on the outer ocean is connected. At the same time, everyone is also connected by land. So I theorize it puts all leaders on fair ground.

It's not perfect however. Assuming you want total naval dominance, you need cities on on both coasts. You might get unlucky and have a civ spawn next to where you wanted to settle your other coastal city, and maybe have city states to the north and south of that city. Basically leaving you no option but to conquer to have a connected empire on both coasts, which kinda limits the players options. Secondly, and not everyone agrees with me on this, there is no way to connect your two navies (inner and outer). I proposed a canal improvement, even though it's unrealistic, but it didn't seem to catch on.

I think doughnut with inner ocean is the fairest and most competitive map. Everyone on the inner ocean is connected, everyone on the outer ocean is connected. At the same time, everyone is also connected by land. So I theorize it puts all leaders on fair ground.

It's not perfect however. Assuming you want total naval dominance, you need cities on on both coasts. You might get unlucky and have a civ spawn next to where you wanted to settle your other coastal city, and maybe have city states to the north and south of that city. Basically leaving you no option but to conquer to have a connected empire on both coasts, which kinda limits the players options. Secondly, and not everyone agrees with me on this, there is no way to connect your two navies (inner and outer). I proposed a canal improvement, even though it's unrealistic, but it didn't seem to catch on.
It's a good map for sure.

I played many map scripts, the most I liked is communitas and planet simulator. Currently play planet simulator. I like that it creates sometimes 2,3 or 4 continents.
Also i like Oval map script, but I don't like how CS spawn there(in 2-3 groups near each other).

Top Bottom