1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Is there any American female leader that wouldn't feel ridiculous?

Discussion in 'Civ - Ideas & Suggestions' started by Krajzen, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Zaarin

Zaarin Chief Medical Officer, DS9

That's not my impression at all. While I think it would certainly be a stretch to call Abigail "the real power behind the president," it nevertheless is certain that she was influential in shaping her husbands' policies. That being said, the influence she exerted was private, not public. She gave him advice; she didn't dictate policy. I don't think any First Lady has exerted the kind of power that would justify being chosen as the American leader in Civ, not even on the level of some queens consort, but I think Abigail Adams probably comes about as close as any. If for some bizarre reason it was deemed necessary to choose a female leader for America, she'd have my vote--but I'd rather have her husband.

earlc likes this.
  2. Jenniza

Jenniza Chieftain

As I've heard it from internet searches, several [I'm not sure if the term I'm looking for is many] of the Civilization's game's leaders throughout the series have met with controversy from members of their countries of origin. That said, eventually, decisions were made that not everyone would be happy with to pick leaders of each country, as well as simply picking which countries to include at all. So, that being said, not going to please everyone. Probably won't please even half the people. The best one might hope for is some poll results kind of thing in the end. Or just going by various mentions of people and which candidates had/have the most merit. It would pretty much be the same subjective basis that Firaxis uses to pick leaders. The difference is that none of these candidates held the leadership role directly.

Alqamar Alaswad likes this.
  3. Socrates99

Socrates99 Bottoms up!

Eleanor Roosevelt by a mile. She had a major impact on FDRs political career even before he was pres. She may have been pulling the strings towards the end of his life. Then her career extended far beyond his death playing a major role in the fledgling UN.

4. cosmicmangobear

cosmicmangobear Warlord

Although Eleanor Roosevelt is the obvious choice for America a much lesser known but very pivotal First Lady is Edith Wilson. After Woodrow Wilson’s stroke in 1919, Edith acted as a middleman (middlewoman?) between the President and Congress for the next year and a half. She reviewed every document that was brought before the president and decided which matters were important enough for him to sign. Some public officials referred to her as “Presidentress” and considered her the acting chief executive of the United States in the wake of her husband’s infirmity.

Zaarin and earlc like this.
  5. earlc

earlc Warlord

Whenever I think of Eleanor Roosevelt, I remember the dated short educational film I had to watch in middle school. The film, which was intended to be positive and exhibit her accomplishments, opened her segment with "Eleanor Roosevelt. No beauty, but a woman of character." That line really hit me.

To my knowledge I'm not sure any is really a great choice, though I'd certainly take Eleanor before FDR again.

Zaarin likes this.
  6. Zaarin

This is my thinking. There have been enough great female leaders in world history without arbitrarily trying to dig one up for the USA or other civs that may not have had them.

Jenniza likes this.
  7. AmazonQueen

AmazonQueen Virago

I'd agree. We could go on adding American women who were influential but they weren't leaders.

Jenniza and Zaarin like this.
  8. AmazonQueen

AmazonQueen Virago

Although that said I think a word should be put in for Lady Bird Johnson, both for having a great name, and for changing the role of the First Lady.
    Still not a leader though.

9. DeAnno

DeAnno Prince

I kind of think you'd be better off with someone more modern and mostly apolitical, showing off America's cultural hegemony and economic glitz as a contrast to Washington's stolid figure of the past. Go with Marilyn Monroe, just embrace the ridiculousness and go dashing full speed ahead with it. I think choosing a President's wife really sends the wrong message, honestly.

Jenniza likes this.
  10. Jenniza

Jenniza Chieftain

Honestly, I don't know enough about world politics in the history of human civilization; but, from the limited decades, I've lived on this Earth and watched both reality and fictional leaders take on their roles for more than let's say six months... it changes them on a fundamental level. They may walk into the roles with the best of intentions; but, after that amount of time, a lot of stuff happens which no one could have anticipated. The world around them has changed. Everything has changed. They have to adapt, overcome and improvise. If that don't, pretty much everyone under them suffers tremendously.

In the U.S., a couple of women have run for vice-presidential candidates, one has run for president on a major party [I believe one ran on an independent party too]. So far, it has not come to pass. We have only just recently crossed racial boundaries with our previous president. We are a young country.

Despite allegations, this country generally does not VOTE for our leaders based on more than their policies. Toss all the stats you want at the subject that you want. We generally vote based on representation. Again, I submit that it is silly to "force" an issue where it doesn't belong. If you must insist, then ANY answer is equally as absurd as the next: Marlyn Monroe, Lady Gaga, Cher, any of the Kardashians, Betty White, etc.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2019
    Zaarin likes this.
  11. Flaxton

Flaxton Warlord

They need to be deceased; just adding another reason for not having Lady Gaga or Kim.

12. cosmicmangobear

cosmicmangobear Warlord

Kim Kardashian leads America in SMCVI: Ka$h Grab!

Unique Ability: Break the Internet

Upon researching social media, gain 1000% tourism against other civilizations. Also unlocks the Paparazzi unique unit.

Agenda: Reality TV

Likes to have as many amenities in her cities as possible. Dislikes civs with low amenities.

13. Flaxton

Flaxton Warlord

I think you are overestimating her popularity overseas! Should be like trade routes and districts convert any culture/science into gold - call it Dumbed Down or Lowest Common Denominator ;)

racha, Jenniza and cosmicmangobear like this.
  14. Jenniza

Jenniza Chieftain

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! I avoid anything to do with the Kardashians on principle; but, I know that a lot of people in our country, for whatever reason, were following them at one time or another. They are free to do as they wish, even if I think they are odd. A lot of generations think other generations have odd cultural and technological habits. We will not be the first and we will not be the last.

15. Zaarin

Yeah, people act like being starstruck is something new, but Hollywood has been around since, what, the '20s? And before that major stars in theatre and opera weren't regarded that differently from movie stars. I've never particularly cared for celebrities myself and can't say I've ever even had anything like a hero, but celebrities are certainly nothing new. As the Teacher says, "Truly there is nothing new under the sun."

16. Phrozen

Phrozen King

Franz Liszt.....

Zaarin likes this.
  17. Zaarin

Even glossy gossip magazines aren't new. Dante's Inferno was probably one of the first. :mischief:

18. Boris Gudenuf

Boris Gudenuf Deity

It goes back even further: Demosthenes' and Cicero's speeches were copied down and passed around like modern tabloids. the best of the Greek actors had so much prestige they were used as couriers of diplomatic messages, because it was considered that they could deliver any message with the maximum of emotional/persuasive effect, since getting those effects was their profession!

Kim Kardashian at the UN? :p

Zaarin likes this.
  19. Zaarin

Well, Shirley Temple was a UN ambassador...

20. Boris Gudenuf

Boris Gudenuf Deity

This is probably going to step Over the Line in what's allowed on the Forum, but I have to point it out:
    Shirley Temple actually had Talent.

Mind you, no indication of any diplomatic talent, but then I believe it was Tallyrand (no mean diplomat OR politician) who said a diplomat's only job was "to lie and deny".

Socrates99 and Zaarin like this.