Is there any American female leader that wouldn't feel ridiculous?

Krajzen

Deity
As title says. I tried to invent female rulers for main civs and I mostly succeed - in most cases even if there was no decent independent female ruler, there was a regular queen or national hero feeling good enough to be a leader. But in America's case I feel completely lost.

Anybody has any idea?

I would argue that Abigail Adams is the best option with Dolley Madison being second and that's about as far as I would go.

Maybe Rebecca Latimer Felton, the first woman Senator? But that would still feel weird, because she actually served as Senator for like a day.

We need an aethnic mush of unparalleled hotness to represent America's diversity and sex appeal.

We need a timeless fixture who has been around for most of America's existence and who embodies the American spirit of reinvention.

We need a HBIC who is the voice of the people and who already owns 51% of this company.

We need Cher.

Some civil rights leader who actually had a massive impact on American Politics could serve? Lucy Stone, Sojourner Truth or Susan B. Anthony, perhaps?

Personally I wouldn't go there though. If the shoe don't fit, don't wear it.

I would argue that Abigail Adams is the best option with Dolley Madison being second and that's about as far as I would go.

That's what I was going to say. Eleanor Roosevelt as UN Ambassador has a small case. Edith Wilson took on the role of Presidential "steward," but that was a brief period of time with historians questioning how much influence she had beyond the role of Chief of Staff.

That's what I was going to say. Eleanor Roosevelt as UN Ambassador has a small case.
That's probably why she was chosen as a leader in Civ 2 though she was far from the worst.

I hate to say it but had Hillary been elected she would have been the clear frontrunner. Not because she was the first woman or current prez, but because she had also spent 8 years as first lady and another 4 as secretary of state. That's more years in power than most presidents get, and all before she even (almost) took the presidency.

The only two women who come close to that unfortunately don't compare. We've never had a female VP. The only other secretary Allbright was never first lady so was never a "queen consort" figurehead. And although Nancy Pelosi is the only woman to hold Speaker of the House, that's not really what we think of as leader material. We've never had a female Senate majority leader.

America...kind of sucks. As in prefers sucking the ****s of old men more than any modern nation this side of totalitarianism.

I can see some native american female leaders, but for the USA, there is actually no choice at all, oh yeah forgot Arabia...

In the U.S. there have been many accusations over the course of the current eras, of people rising to power based on class, gender, age, race, and various other pigeon-holes, rather than their policies and merit. This is true of employment, politics, education, entertainment, you name it. It has sparked much debate in our history as a result as to whether certain individuals even deserve the positions that they have. For some, the mere suggestion that a leadership role should be picked based on a pigeon-holed label is even insulting, while for others, it is innovative and daring. That has been why some roles, like the President of the United States, are not taken lightly when it comes to discussing such a topic. We are a young country and have not experienced the natural course of development that many of the longer-lived countries have had where they've had the opportunity to experience these things. That is not to say we don't provide opportunity, it is one of our cornerstone principles. Some things just have to come naturally, if they are to be taken seriously, and not have the appearance of being "forced" to fit a label. We've had some areas of our country where we "forced" change, in one form or another, for better or worse, and it usually came with "a lot of resistance", if you get my drift.

Chances are, each of the civilizations that are represented in the game has had their share of controversy when it came time to picking leaders, abilities, traits, etc. So, we are just a drop in the bucket in that list of a careful game balance.

I wouldn't even know who to suggest for "realistic" choices for a female leader of the U.S. that wouldn't offend at least 50% of the U.S. In this day and age, we are divided about almost every topic there is under the sun. We'd be hard pressed to agree on pizza toppings, let alone POTUS.

Last edited:
Probably an unpopular opinion, but I'd really like to see at least one couple represented as one 'leader.' Could have a gameplay interaction or not, I just think it'd be neat either way! Justinian & Theodora are the biggest ones that come to mind here, but for America- either John & Abigail Adams, or Eleanor & F.D. Roosevelt would be sweet.

Only Abigail Adams, and Elanor Roosevelt. The only two I can think of TBH.

That's what I was going to say. Eleanor Roosevelt as UN Ambassador has a small case. Edith Wilson took on the role of Presidential "steward," but that was a brief period of time with historians questioning how much influence she had beyond the role of Chief of Staff.

My vote would be for Eleanor Roosevelt as well.

Probably an unpopular opinion, but I'd really like to see at least one couple represented as one 'leader.' Could have a gameplay interaction or not, I just think it'd be neat either way!
Seems like an unnecessary complication. The leaders are an abstraction as it is.

Justinian & Theodora are the biggest ones that come to mind here, but for America- either John & Abigail Adams, or Eleanor & F.D. Roosevelt would be sweet.
Although you can tell from their letters that Abigail Adams had an impressive intellect and some definite opinions about how things should be, my understanding is that she was very hands-off about policy and politics when John was in office. As far as I'm aware, there was really no official role at all for the first lady before Dolley Madison.

Last edited:
Top Bottom