Is there any insane epic/marathon/huge ppl?

Thunderbull

Chieftain
hi guys!

I wonder, - how much of ppl likes such kind of games? - huge map, marathon speed, ancient era? i always play only this mode - no fun in other.

p.s. does anyone knows - is there any chance to get hof game in such mode? :)

I`m one of them. Even lowered my tile settings to be able to play on huge.

The game truly doesn`t seem balanced if i have to upgrade my units every 40 turns. Also the neverending epic feeling a marathon gives me is great. Mentioning that, i haven`t finished a game of ciV yet.

I'm absolutely one of those types...

I prefer the journey to actually "winning" -- in RoM/AND, I play on the largest possible map and slowest possible setting. My games take months to complete - if I complete them.

I find V to be almost unplayable on anything other than huge/marathon --- I have a fundamental problem with a game of Civilization being completable in a single day!

I play on king difficulty, big map, continents and marathon speed.

There is this one reason why im not playing on huge maps and that is because in my big map games somewhere after the classical era there are only few opponents left in the game and this basicly means that everyone (at least everyone who wants to win) needs to build a ton of cites ala civ4. That is not what i want to do but unfortunately if there are only 4 players left in big map game and if you want to win you need a country size of Russia. Im afraid that if i would play on huge maps then i would have to build even bigger country.

IMO it is stupid that you cant add more civs to your game, or if you could then maybe the AI would just destroy the extra civs right away like it does now and we would be at the same situation. :blush:

IMO it is stupid that you cant add more civs to your game, or if you could then maybe the AI would just destroy the extra civs right away like it does now and we would be at the same situation. :blush:

All hail RoM/AND --

Seriously, if you haven't played the Civ IV Rhyse of Mankind/A New Dawn mods for IV -- you really ought to dl them and give them a shot because this is PRECISELY what they do.

Barbarian cities spawn into to civilizations -- it's nothing in AND for there to be 30 active civs, even late game.

In addition, the Revolutions option means that any empire that gets too large comes under rapidly increasing risk for a revolution -- so large empires rarely run and keep running away with a game. Inevitably, they run into bloat and the revolutionaries become more than they can handle.... leading to lots of smaller civs breaking off all the time. It likewise adds a lot of usefulness and more dimensions to religion and espionage -- you no longer have to just match larger opponent civs in size and strength -- you have a lot of other options to undermine them. I've held off Civs twice my size by simply focusing on diplomacy, religion, and espionage -- and cracking them into squabbling bits of smaller nations.

Conquest/Domination wins in RoM/AND are virtually impossible -- which makes it incredibly fun to TRY to win a conquest/domination game.

RoM/AND sounds like it would be right up your alley....

...and that's BEFORE you see all the wonderful other little goodies those mods have.

I am also a huge map/marathon guy.

I've noticed turns take a little while though to process... (and I'm on a 4.11 GHz i7 930!)

All hail RoM/AND --

Seriously, if you haven't played the Civ IV Rhyse of Mankind/A New Dawn mods for IV -- you really ought to dl them and give them a shot because this is PRECISELY what they do.

Barbarian cities spawn into to civilizations -- it's nothing in AND for there to be 30 active civs, even late game.

In addition, the Revolutions option means that any empire that gets too large comes under rapidly increasing risk for a revolution -- so large empires rarely run and keep running away with a game. Inevitably, they run into bloat and the revolutionaries become more than they can handle.... leading to lots of smaller civs breaking off all the time. It likewise adds a lot of usefulness and more dimensions to religion and espionage -- you no longer have to just match larger opponent civs in size and strength -- you have a lot of other options to undermine them. I've held off Civs twice my size by simply focusing on diplomacy, religion, and espionage -- and cracking them into squabbling bits of smaller nations.

Conquest/Domination wins in RoM/AND are virtually impossible -- which makes it incredibly fun to TRY to win a conquest/domination game.

RoM/AND sounds like it would be right up your alley....

...and that's BEFORE you see all the wonderful other little goodies those mods have.
Ya ROM a new dawn is awesome.. is it bad that alot of whats in that mod i was hoping for them to actually put in ciV... lol i mean they stole the ranged combate from dales combat mod which is a part of that so what gives.. were the rev and more civs.Also it has an option you can limit units per tile from unlimited to ? idk i usually set it at 3 :D
But now that i think about it.. the great mods in CiV iV is probably why i am so disappointed with CiV. I saw all the brilliant things modders could do and expected firaxis being the games developer to actually add to the game instead of taking so much away.

I played those kinds of games in Civ IV, but in V I think the pace is a little to slow and the maps are a little to big for that kind of thing. A standard map on normal speed with 2-3 extra AI and 4-5 extra city states is more my speed.

Not sure what you mean here. You can add as many AI as you want.

Count me in that crowd as well. I bought a new computer to play this game (well, it was time anyway) because I knew I would be playing it in this manner. Only way to play, in my opinion.

Not sure what you mean here. You can add as many AI as you want.

Yeah so it seems that you actually CAN add AI players to the game. :)

I was just so used to civ4 style of adding AI players that i just did not see that button. :lol:

I just might start a new game today with many many AI opponents. Thanks :D

In IV I was always like that but in V you can't...

The wait between turns is borderline stupid... I suggest you all to play either marathon / standard or small maps... The wait time even at end game is super fast...

In the current state of the game, huge maps does not do anything better than small maps... You cannot fully saturate a huge map without running into happy face / money issues...

Not to mention since the game lets you put 22 civs on a small map along with 28 city states, there is no need to play a huge map... The only reason why I use to play huge was just to get all the civs in the game...

Right now, I find build speed too slow and research too fast even on marathon speed...

I've heard that switching to strategic mode before you hit the next turn button speeds up your game by about 20%.

I also play only on Marathon Huge Maps they give you that epic feeling and seems to me more balanced because u actually have an use for all units before they become obsolete.

Top Bottom