1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Is there any reason to vote for John McCain?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Halcyon, Oct 31, 2008.

1. Halcyon

Halcyon 9000

Seriously. Not a reason to vote against Obama, but a reason to like McCain on his own merits for something he has done or wants to do.

Seems to me that the McCain campaign has been thoroughly sleazy, deceptive and woefully mismanaged. One can't help but wonder whether a McCain presidency would be any different, and if so - why?

On top of that, he's a pretty horrible guy. Yeah, he seemed pretty cool in 2000, but on closer inspection he's kinda despicable in lots of ways.

Here, someone made a list of things he's said and done. It's not comprehensive and some of it is a bit trivial, but, well. I've bolded some of the worst bits... which turns out to be quite a lot.

So we've got corruption, hypocrisy, outright lies, violence, a seeming lack of ethics or morality, wilful ignorance of foreign and economic affairs...

As I said, kinda doesn't seem like someone you'd trust to run a country.

There's also the franky terrifying prospect of President Palin if he dies in the next four years - which as a 72-year old man in mediocre health with a history of cancer and a family history of dying from sudden, massive heart attacks is sadly not that unlikely.

Of course, a lot of people are going to vote (for either candidate) based on party loyalty, or cultural/ideological identity ("I am a ..."). This is understandable, albeit not particularly laudable, but it is not technically a reason.

So, is there a reason?

2. Perfection

Perfection The Great Head.

Well, if I was John McCain I would vote for John McCain. So being John McCain is a reason for voting for John McCain.

3. Arwon

Arwon

Similarly, being his wife is probably a good reason. Probably.

4. Ziggy Stardust

Ziggy Stardust New Englander

Right, you have established he is a politician.

Now where do we go from there?

5. Kraznaya

Kraznaya Princeps

Turn the lights down now!

6. Berzerker

Berzerker Deity

I prefer his economics to the wealth spreader

7. Ziggy Stardust

Ziggy Stardust New Englander

Well, I prefer intellectuals over sound biters, but hey, beggars can't be chosers.

8. Kraznaya

Kraznaya Princeps

The Economist as well as the plurality of leading economists have endorsed Obama

9. RedRalph

RedRalph Deity

Fighting with Strum Thormond might actually make me vote for him

whats the thing about wanting to bomb soviet ships in the Vietnam war?

10. Gorey

Gorey Prince

11. El_Machinae

El_Machinae Colour vision since 2018 Retired Moderator

Bolding his disability income shows that the OP doesn't know much about McCain's finances. He's owed that money, he's disabled. And he does some pretty impressive things with his income.

Anyway, reasons I'd vote for McCain:
    - I'd trust him to use his veto pen. I may not agree with his conception of 'pork' 100% of the time, and its overuse could backfire (i.e., more pork to make a bill veto-proof ala Farm Bill), but I think it's a good idea.
    - his emphasis on energy development is pretty good. I like other plan better, but this plan is pretty good.
    - his moderate nature: I happen to like it. He really does reach across the ilse
    - keeping troops in Iraq. I don't think the US should bail out. Now troops might not be necessary, but the US should still be trying to fix Iraq.
    - he's decently pro-stem cell research, and concerned about Global Warming.

Why others might want to vote for him (in addition to the above)
    - they like nuclear power
    - they like the idea of every family getting $5,000 in taxpayer money to spend on healthcare
    - they're hoping for President Palin
    - maybe John McCain is the right guy to help fix that stupid Farm Bill.
    - They want a slightly different tack on foreign policy
    - they want a guy who won't look like a hypocrite if the populace decides it does need to bomb Iran.

12. LightFang

LightFang "I'm the hero!"

You should vote for McCain because he will lower your taxes!

13. Loppan Torkel

Loppan Torkel Deity

The whole comedic aspect to seeing McCain/Palin run the US. It could be a bit more exciting for the rest of the world, like a docusoap with interesting characters, and the Letterman- and Lenoshow will probably be a bit funnier.

14. IglooDude

IglooDude Enforcing Rule 34 Retired Moderator

That's a pretty moronic list, all told. Sure some of them are perfectly valid, but many are taken completely out of context (of course he wasn't aware of MLK at the time, he was in a Hanoi prison), some of them are only negative if you're a partisan Democrat ("voted to convict Bill Clinton on impeachment charges"), some of them are splitting hairs ("doubling" vs "no more than doubling" capital gains taxes), and many of them are either cool or funny (at a Smith & Wesson plant, “I will follow Osama Bin Laden to the gates of hell and I will shoot him with your products”; “I wouldn’t call you an rear end in a top hat unless you were really an rear end in a top hat.”).

15. Patroklos

Patroklos Deity

:rolleyes:

Seriously, how many of these copycat threads do we have to go through?

As to the OP's question...

1.) Far superior energy policy in every respect.
    2.) Superior health care plan, and more importantly accomplishable.
    3.) When McCain says "Bomb Iran" and Obama says "Invade Pakistan," one of them knows what that actually entails for people like me.
    4.) I think he will actually reduce wasteful spending.

16. RedRalph

RedRalph Deity

Patroklos I'm not fan of Obama, but did he actually use the word invade about Pakistan? I thought he just said take military action against?

17. Halcyon

Halcyon 9000

Heh, okay. It's still important, though, because his opponent has built a reputation for not being (much of) a sleazy git. It makes him look pretty bad in comparison; if you care about any of those attributes

Yeah, he's not exactly the nicest guy. That said, restraint is kinda important for someone in charge of the scariest military on the planet. I've heard a lot of anecdotes about McCain's bad temper.

His economics are mostly the rather questionable "trickle-down" type, though. Can I ask why you prefer that?

Also, it seems to me that Obama's "wealth spreading" is just reversing Bush's tax cuts for the wealthy while lowering taxes for something like 95% of earners. I'm not quite sure what is so Leninist about that. Can you elaborate? I guess Republican pundits make it sound like he's going to beat you up and give your cash to gangsters, or something, but all I see is regular old progressive taxation. Would a flat tax/poll tax/no tax be preferable?

I concede the point - he does have a right to it. It just seems a little off to oppose social security, veterans' benefits, national health cover, etc - whilst taking government money that you don't really need.

As I understand it, this is only true if you're earning over $1/4mil per annum. Odds are, you aren't. If you are, that might be a reason.

Yeah, I did say that some of them were trivial or unfair. It's not my list; just thought it'd be interesting. That some of them are silly doesn't automatically invalidate the rest, though.

18. frekk

frekk Scourge of St. Lawrence

The list may be somewhat flawed, but I find it interesting that apart from comedic responses, only one person has attempted to answer the OPs core question.

19. Patroklos

Patroklos Deity

I was being deliberately sarcastic, McCain didn't really say bomb Iran either. The point is, when each decide to indulge in whatever military escapades they see fit, only one of them actually knows what that means to the rank and file.

20. lovett

lovett Deity

Basically, one must assume that ~95% of what he's said in the last few months will be reneged upon as soon as he achieves office.