1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Is there any response from Firaxis / 2K ?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Orion66, Sep 27, 2010.

1. Orion66

Orion66 Master of Orion

So I was wondering if there is any respons from Firaxis / 2K about our AI complaints ?
    Any news?

2. Slecht

Slecht Chieftain

Yes; they are very bad players, they thought they had made good AI, they never expected how good we where at it.

3. Noob-ish

Noob-ish Chieftain

I really hope you are being sarcastic, but when i think about it, it better than the thought that they deliberatly dumbed it down. I honestly don't know which is true. But several people who had the press release build do say the AI was way smarter and harder to beat.

For me, i can slaughter every AI and hardly encounter more than, say 4 or 5 units, but they are never organized intelligently.

4. coe

coe Chieftain

They are laughing their way to the bank right now, for decking out so many 90% reviews and game selling so well. In eyes of publisher and developer, civ V is huge success and business is strong.

I don't think there is a single developer on their parking lot that has a sting in their hearts that they might have released something that for higher than average consumer feels like rushed release with horrible ai, worse ui and unfinnished game mechanics. And you posting here, means that you are by default, above the average buyer of CIV V.

In all its glory, there is just one reviewer out there who had the spine to actually think what he is playing: http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3181540

Thank you.

5. Rince

Rince King

Well, they issued a patch fixing one of the most glaring issues with the AI. That's my favorite kind of reply.

6. duxup

duxup Prince

Yar. You never can be sure of the future but historically Firaxis has been good about patching.

Also the AI in Civ games has never been that spectacular.

7. Bhoy

Bhoy Chieftain

After playing on the european release date I hated it, but thought it was just me and I hadn't learned how to play properly, as from looking at all the reviews they seemed to indicate it was an improvement on Civ 4. I gave it about another 14 hours of gameplay before deciding that it was time to activate my dormant account here and start :):):):):)ing about it. I'm so disappointed, I'm not even sure how they can claw this back with patches and even expansions. Scrap this game and give us another expansion for Civ 4!

Moderator Action: Please watch your language. Thanks.
    Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

8. Krall

Krall Warlord

It seems fairly obvious that with all the glowing reviews for this game that they were playing a different, pre-release build. Also. consider the hype surrounding the multi-layered AI that was so fun and ground breaking it was tested daily on their lunch breaks.

Maybe in an upcoming DLC we will see this:

Civilization V, DLC add-on pack: Improved AI
    Civilization V, DLC add-on pack: Optimized Graphics Engine
    Civilization V, DLC add-on pack: Alternate User Interface Bonus
    Civilization V, DLC add-on pack: Expanded Multiplayer with included V 1.0 hotfixes

9. Slecht

Slecht Chieftain

I was joking yes, I really believe that they made the whole game more noob friendly and / or they where just rushing the game.

10. Those look like patches to me.

11. Slecht

Slecht Chieftain

Got 2 friends, they never where in CIV really, they tried but seems the learning curve was to high. And now they absolute love CiV V, they always where pretty bad at it but now at prince, they have no problem whatsoever.

12. Mallipeep

Mallipeep Warlord

Could you back up your estimation of one example of some game company actually having done that.
    ONE. Even from EA?

13. Gunship_Down

Gunship_Down Chieftain

Yes, sure, that will happen.

Really, all these unfunny jabs about DLC are getting annoying now. We know, you don't like it when developers release new content after a release that isn't all bundled together in an overpriced expansion pack. Get over it already.

14. Guardian_PL

Guardian_PL Emperor

Oh but of course!
    :clap: That's one helluva of a patch right here!
    :wallbash:

Excellent!
    Yeah, who cares about the existing fans, right? They'll buy the crap that's ridiculously easy even on Deity and after the purchase they can be forgotten. It's the new fans that are important!
    :suicide:

15. bal_rob

bal_rob Chieftain

...and to be fair, I think this is entirely the game we have got. They have made it much more newbie friendly and in a way, that is fair enough. More people playing Civ isn't a bad thing.

Unfortunately, it does seem like they have concentrated on that a little too much with V. Hopefully the patches will beginning to address this - fingers crossed.

16. dannythefool

dannythefool King

Complaining that the "normal" difficulty level can be beaten by "normal" people is really a bit ... weird. Play on deity if prince is too easy for you. And don't use any of the known easy win strategies, don't pretend quechua rushes were impossible on deity in Civ IV.

17. Guardian_PL

Guardian_PL Emperor

Mate, you're getting on my nerves now with same empty argument all over the threads - how many times it needs explaining that two very first games of Civ5 I've ever played were a resounding success on King and Emperor? Did that ever happen in any of the previous games? Can you win your first game on Swashbuckler in "Pirates!"?

No, no exploits here, unless you're talking about playing the game instead of watching telly and chatting to friends in the meantime. Cultural/Diplomatic win.

AI is broken, and the way the happiness is set is simply not working. We can hope for patches, but don't make the problem smaller by saying "oh if it feels easy go and play on Deity". We need to get the message across (and vent btw :)), otherwise we'll get more "awesome" patches fixing highscore username :rolleyes:

18. Tiwar

Tiwar Chieftain

That was a nifty point, it kinda sums up a few things. I stated earlier that it was a teenage version, but I'll buy the noob concept. Probably more accurate.

19. Guardian_PL

Guardian_PL Emperor

No, I get that it all moves forward, so there is progress even with non-important fixes but man how the AI sucks. :wallbash:
    I've read Tom Chick review, and I can't believe how accurate it is...

20. viper_1986_1986

viper_1986_1986 Warlord

Freakn sounds like
    Halo3
    Halo3: ODST (DLC that you had to pay 60$ for)
    Halo: Reach (more DLC that was 60$ and you just got OLD maps from halo1 2 and 3...)