1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Is there any site that will rotate any image for you?

Discussion in 'Computer Talk' started by Narz, May 19, 2009.

1. Narz

Narz keeping it real

What I want to be able to upload multiple images to somewhere that will rotate them as the same filename (say http://thissiteshouldexist.com/dog.gif). You can add multiple pics of dogs & they will rotate & a user determined rate (every week, every month, etc.). This would be very cool for being able to set your avatar to change in advance.

Anyway know of any such site? If you start this site & do well you owe me 25%! :religion:

:thanx:

2. GVBN

GVBN Chieftain

Any web host that supports PHP will do. It won't work with avatars though

3. againsttheflow

againsttheflow unpolitically uncorrect

Depends, do you want it 90 degrees to the right or left?

4. Mise

Mise isle of lucy

That's a pretty good idea Narzyboy. If you have the time and the inclination you can probably investigate doing it yourself (lots of free web-hosts out there, and you can create a very simple script to do the renaming via ftp).

However I'm not sure it would work for avatars, because I think the vB software actually downloads the picture onto CFC servers, rather than using the url every time.

5. Genocidicbunny

Genocidicbunny Bug squasher

Correct, it would not work for the avatars here. If you actually right click on an avatar and hit "View Image" you will see that the url is for cfc, not for the original host.

You could ask Till if its possible with a greasemonkey script. http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=319173

6. Mise

Mise isle of lucy

The avatar's URL may be CFC, but that URL might simply be loading the image at the other end of the URL you tap into the user CP when you set your avatar. The real test is to actually try it, but it makes sense to store the image on CFC servers, in case the image gets deleted on the foreign server.

7. Narz

Narz keeping it real

I will ask Till (send him a link to this thread). :)

8. Mise

Mise isle of lucy

The greasemonkey script won't be able to rotate your avatar in the way that you want, because it only works on the client that the script is run from.

9. Till

Till Adventurer

Mise is right, greasemonkey can't be used for this.
    Writing a script to rotate images at a given interval is a matter of minutes. If you want a web frontend to handle the interval setting and file management (and possibly user accounts), then there's a little more work to do, but all components already exist.

The trickiest part is getting the HTTP headers right, so that browsers update their cache in accordance to the set interval. There is a standard way of doing this (you can read it up in the specifications for the HTTP protocol), but not all browsers might have implemented this accurately. It would most likely be necessary to check for the client's browser type/version, and generate the fitting headers.

10. Narz

Narz keeping it real

Ok, well thanks for examining the issue Till! :)

11. LucyDuke

LucyDuke staring at the clock

They're kept locally. I've deleted them on the foreign server. Also you can upload your own from your own machine. It ain't calling up your machine every time...

Not to mention that if they weren't stored locally there'd be no need for the file size limit. (Okay, load time I guess, but come on, it's 2009.)

12. Genocidicbunny

*Genocidicbunny wonders if that was not what he said several posts above.*

13. LucyDuke

LucyDuke staring at the clock

You didn't explain to Mise why his theory is incorrect. :)

14. dutchfire

dutchfire Moderator Moderator

I suppose it might be possible to write a script that'll upload a new image for you every now and then, but that's probably much more of a hassle than just uploading a new image yourself.

15. Genocidicbunny

I did, just not in as many words as you.

16. Mise

Mise isle of lucy

This really isn't worth arguing about, but your "explanation" was irrelevant. The url for the avatar image on this page can look at CFC servers without the actual image being stored on CFC servers.

17. Genocidicbunny

If the URL for an avatar image is on the cfc server means the image is being served from cfc. Which means the actual image is being stored on the cfc servers. Unless the forum software uploads every image to a cache when you load a page, but thats just stupid and uses up bandwidth needlessly.

18. Souron

Souron The Dark Lord

It is possible but generally pointless to create a server that will use a local uri as an alias for a non local file. So technically, Mise is right.

There is no reason for CFC to do this, so the fact that the url is local does strongly suggest that the file is stored locally.

19. Kraznaya

Kraznaya Princeps

Why are CFC avatars hosted locally? With free image hosting it seems like a rather pointless exercise to me.

20. dutchfire

dutchfire Moderator Moderator

@Souron: Don't those "don't hotlink this image, go to yaddayadda.com to see the real image" images work on that principle?
    @Kraz: Free image hosting services aren't the most stable things on the internet.