1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Is there any strategic value to naval melee units?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Strategy & Tips' started by Wingednosering, May 14, 2017.

1. empresskiova

empresskiova Warlord

The Viking Ships are strong enough to take cities in the Ancient era (maaaaaybe Classical) on there own too, including Capitals. You may need 2-3 to rotate them in and out however... They do have 30 power iirc.

They also tear apart Embarked Units faster than Ranged and Raiders. Or at least, that's been my experience.

2. MaximusPlatypus

MaximusPlatypus O.O

Yeah, I was gonna say it's useful to have a few around when a land army starts swimming en masse towards your location.

3. CountAccountant

CountAccountant Warlord

OP, I found this post by @Victoria to be helpful in understanding how to to use naval melee + ranged units together to achieve strategic goals. The specific game described is Deity / England / True Starting Locations Earth map, but the principles should apply elsewhere.

Photi likes this.
  4. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

If you combine the mausoleum and admiral nelson you can also get a +20 flanking bonus
    There is a thread on sea dogs if you search titles.

5. BlackWizard

BlackWizard King

You need them to capture cities and they are also good baits so AI will attack them rather than ships with borbardment

6. Victoria

What do you mean by "them" @BlackWizard ? Sea dogs cannot capture cities... but when they capture weak enemy ships, sure fire misdirection is a good option, especially if your fleet is large enough already

7. BlackWizard

BlackWizard King

Whoops this was VI not V

8. myclan

myclan Prince

melee ships appear a bit earlier than the same era range ships, it can be a slaughter to fight with the same anount of frigate with your ironclad. They are weak facing battleship though.

9. Lily_Lancer

Lily_Lancer Emperor

Galley: Train Use 3 galleys to capture city without walls.
    Caravel: Caravel+Battling Ram can work for even Knight Defenses.
    Ironclad: With Battling Ram you can take out 40 def city with a single Ironclad.
    Destroyer: Comes too late.

Also, with Battling ram you can do 100% damage to walls instead of a ranged ship's 50%.

Moreover, you need 2 Galley/Caravel for Eureka.

KyivanRusCivPlease and agonistes like this.
  10. Victoria

Destroyer is very important for anti sub... try sailing your fleet around a late game Russian runaway with submarine armies without them. It's one of the times the AI can seem cunning.
    . If I loose a melee ship I'll always rebuild a destroyer.

agonistes likes this.
  11. Lily_Lancer

Lily_Lancer Emperor

I never see them building submarines. Electricity is just too hard for them to reach.

12. Victoria

Sure, in your Dom rush, but people play in different ways including turning all VC off.

In these cases (quite a few people on this forum) destroyers have their place.

agonistes likes this.
  13. JustifierNA

JustifierNA Warlord

If you're going to tech the top side of the tech tree then your City's base combat (the little shield that shows the city's defense) can be determined by the melee naval units as it would a land unit.

agonistes likes this.
  14. Victoria

That's the base city strength before modifiers of course... and those crumbly castle walls having 24 inch battleship guns mounted on them look rather scary.

agonistes likes this.
  15. Lily_Lancer

Lily_Lancer Emperor

Have you noticed that when you eliminate all opponents, you automatically win a Dom victory even if it is not turned on?

16. Victoria

Nope...nice
    I just clarified city strength in the tips and tricks forum in case anyone was confused.

JustifierNA likes this.
  17. jimkirk

jimkirk Prince

i have used many "melee" ships to capture coastal cities while bombarding them with frigates and battleships

18. EpicWestern

EpicWestern Warlord

I've actually seen a decent amount of enemy subs in my deity games. I've even gotten nuked several times by the nuclear variety. I don't think that destroyers are specifically a good counter though. As in a lot of civ spots the problem with using melee units to counter range is that you're melee units are still taking damage when they attack. So even if stronger in a single battle in a fight to the death the melee unit gets hit twice while the ranged unit gets hit once. I'm not saying this means the ranged unit wins or even that its a wash, just that I don't think the melee unit wins strongly enough to be considered a counter. My naval force will almost always be pure frigate/battleship/cruiser with just enough caravel/ironclad/destroyer to take enemy cities. Keep in mind, even if walls are completely eliminated sometimes a single ironclad is not enough take an enemy city.

Locke_Daemonfire likes this.
  19. Lily_Lancer

Lily_Lancer Emperor

Of course you need to attack it before the Ai has high-defense units to enhance their defense. If the AI only have Swordman or Knight, Ironclads can easily take these cities, which often happens in Deity level. You just go too slow I think.

20. EpicWestern

EpicWestern Warlord

From a few of the weaker civs maybe, like Scythia. You're just playing a different game if you think the better civs are stuck at swordmen when you're at ironclad.