Is there any war guide for MP?

Chibi88

Chieftain
I feel like I'm terrible at war. Even with baracks and promotions I don't know how to attack a city. It is so easy to defend a city with just the city and ranged units. I'm so frustrated. I can't build melee units cuz they are bad for attacking a city.

I need tips to conquer a city.

Defending with range is easy, killing stuff with range is easy. Counter with cav and your own range. Not that much to it, just make sure you have everything covered. If you must sacrifice a unit, make sure it counts.

You could defend your cities easily and cheap. Building walls early will not only defend your cities but save you money too.

You are correct in not building melee units. A good army usually consists of ranged units plus horse units for clean up or taking cities. If you want to focus on war then you want to rush the specific techs which open up chariot archers, composite bowmen, horsemen and ultimately xbows.

Rushing your tech for xbows and building up your production in anticipation of building them is a good military plan. Also having archers ready to upgrade to composites for a composite rush or having composites ready to up grade to xbows for an xbow rush.

It's all about timing as well as unit placement. Always try to get a surround instead of coming in single file.

When you attack another player without many units, make sure you have siege units (2-3) that can attack from 2 range away from the city (for instance from a hill), while there is plenty of space for 2-3 melee units to stand in front and surround the city.

If the other player has many defending units, or the terrain does not allow you to place 2-3 siege units together with 2-3 melee units, then the 'brute force' method is probably going to fail, unless you have a high tech advantage.

However, there is a situational trick that works Very well when attacking:
- Creating Citadel using Great General.
This obviously only works when you have a border conflict, but when you do, it will net you a higher chance to push back the enemy defenders, further allowing you to push your 2-3 siege and 2-3 melee units into range.

Remember to buy territory as close to your opponent as possible, to create the citadel at the best location.
Note, that when creating a citadel, you do not have to put in your own territory, but ADJACENT to your own territory, for instance inside your opponent's territory :D

For more info on the glorious citadel, see here: http://civilization.wikia.com/wiki/Citadel_(Civ5)

Use catapults and ranged units preferably crossbowmen and trebuchets. Use infantry units as well. Try to rank up your ranged units to obtain the range and logistics promotion so that enemy cities won't kill your ranged units that easily.

The mindset for multiplayer combat is pretty different from single player. In singleplayer you can fight in a way that allows you to never loose a unit. Humans tend to be smarter and will kill at least some of your units. With that in mind,

-Ranged units. Build them. They are much stronger than melee units. Your force should consist of almost entirely ranged units. Melee units are only meat shields for ranged units, hit and run (cavalry) and the final unit that takes the city. When planning a siege of a city, look to see how many tiles you can bombard the city from two tiles away and plan how you will take and secure those locations.

-Move quickly. Since most multiplayer is simultaneous turns, you generally want to move before your opponent. Fortify your units at the start of a turn if they dont have something you immediately need them to do.

-Sizeable army advantage. In single player you can rely on your opponent throwing away units and being ineffective with them. In multiplayer you have to have superior numbers in order to defeat your enemy. Use demographics screen (f8) and the military advisor to determine your strength.

-Great generals. Godspark already mentioned this, but using great generals at borders can break stalemates. You can use a great general in someone else's land if you are on the very edge and have a cultural border there. Also you can convert citadels on the enemy side with this technique. Be careful of the enemy using a great general back on you!

Top Bottom