Is there any way to disable auto-advance?

Hormagaunt

Warlord
Lately I've noticed that, after making an attack, my units will auto-advance the next round. How do I stop this?

Example 1) Archer fires at unit, unit dies. Next round (unless I actively cancel it), the archer will advance to the dead unit's hex.
Example 2) Warrior attacks unit, unit does not die. Archer attacks unit and kills it. Next turn the *warrior* auto-advances into the dead unit's hex. Or the archer does; depends on which one auto-moves first.

This can easily be seen by having a unit attack then clicking on the unit. If it's showing an action that can be cancelled, it's been queued to auto-advance.

I never experienced this. How do you initiate the attack, do you use the move-to action to the target unit's hex? Or do you use the attack action?

Generally it's just right-click on the target. Only time (for ranged) that I use the cross-hairs is if I'm worried that they might move instead.

Note that this auto-advance doesn't always happen. It's like that stupid thing now where if you click-and-hold on a target hex sometimes your unit will start moving without you releasing the mouse button.

Last edited:
One way I've been able to stop it, is before I click on the "next" button to go to the next turn, I click on each unit and cancel its future moves. It's annoying as my units don't always want to move in the next turn, just some times.

Never experienced this either. In my games, a ranged attacker will not move after attacking (not now, not the next turn either) even if the attacked unit dies - but I always use the "attack" button on the unit's panel.

Is there some other setting in the global parameters?

I've never experienced what is described.

1. Archers always remain in their own hex after an attack. If they shoot, they stay where they are regardless. I have to manually move them after they attack the next turn if that's what I want them to do, and will require orders the next turn regardless.
  2. A melee unit that acts defensively and survives is the same. It will require new orders the next turn.
  3. A melee unit that attacks will automatically move into the attacked hex if successful. Annoying in niche cases, but I figure it's a natural consequence of the action. It will require new orders the next turn.
  4. A melee unit that does not succeed will remain in it's original hex and will require new orders the next turn. Unless it dies, of course.
I've never seen a unit go into combat then advance the next turn. I never use the guard action, so maybe that has something to do with it?

Are you using the Go To function to attack with? THAT would cause the behavior you describe, especially with ranged units.

Lately I've noticed that, after making an attack, my units will auto-advance the next round. How do I stop this?

Example 1) Archer fires at unit, unit dies. Next round (unless I actively cancel it), the archer will advance to the dead unit's hex.
Example 2) Warrior attacks unit, unit does not die. Archer attacks unit and kills it. Next turn the *warrior* auto-advances into the dead unit's hex. Or the archer does; depends on which one auto-moves first.

This can easily be seen by having a unit attack then clicking on the unit. If it's showing an action that can be cancelled, it's been queued to auto-advance.

Never had that... arte you clicking twice?

Use R to launch a ranged attack, do not right-click enemy units. Right-click is "Move and attack if anything prevents from moving there", whereas R is just ranged attack.

Ite that this auto-advance doesn't always happen. It's like that stupid thing now where if you click-and-hold on a target hex sometimes your unit will start moving without you releasing the mouse button.

I suspect this is your issue. If your mouse is registering phantom clicks, it makes sense your units would be queued for their next turn.

Try this, attack with a unit without killing the enemy, then right click again before auto cycle moves you to your next unit, you will see the same behaviour.

If you are using a wireless mouse that has a wired feature, I suggest trying with the mouse plugged in to see if the issue helps. Try a different mouse and see if the issue persists.

Top Bottom