1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

is there anyway to hook up this uranium ?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by CoZe, Oct 13, 2008.

1. CoZe

CoZe Warlord

2. Zekrazey1

Zekrazey1 Chieftain

Use a fort.

3. Methos

Methos HoF Quattromaster Super Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

To expand on this...

On the grass forest tile to the left of your uranium (where the worker is), build a fort. Put a road on both the fort and uranium and it'll be connected.

4. Willem

Willem Deity

Oh, I didn't know you could use a Fort that way. I'll have to keep that in mind next time I have a similar situation.

5. batavier

batavier Warlord

I think it won't be connected because the mine/fort can't connected to another city because of the mountain. Trade routes by sea work only from/to cities.
    the city can work the tile, but you can't build nukes.

6. digitCruncher

digitCruncher Emperor

Are you 100% sure?

I know that forts provide resources, but the question is do Forts allow resources to use coastal trade routes?

Mines / Plantations / Farms etc. don't allow thier resources to use coastal trade routes, so I am not sure that forts do either...

7. CoZe

CoZe Warlord

just made a quick test with WB. placing a fort on or near the uranium doesn't connect it. It seems there's no way to connect it which is stupid. (yes, I have fission, and I have uranium elsewhere too)

8. Zekrazey1

Zekrazey1 Chieftain

In BTS, forts do provide coastal trade routes, but maybe not when they're within a city's radius and on the same landmass?

9. digitCruncher

digitCruncher Emperor

There is one way...

Leave Alexandria totally defenceless, and declare war on someone. With some luck, they will eventually capture Alexandra. Then, you can re-capture it, raze it to the ground, and sue for peace (optional)

Then, build a settler, and settle a new city ON the uranium.

This will allow you to get the uranium without WB ;)

10. Dresden

Dresden Emperor

Trust Methos. Methos is wise. A fort directly on the Uranium instead of the mine should work too although you'd lose the uranium improvement bonus. Remember that in BTS a fort is a port and in this situation it'll hook up the resource.

@Coze: make sure you have a road on the mine and fort too; the road is critical.

11. digitCruncher

digitCruncher Emperor

Actually, the reason why the fort idea doesn't work, is possibly because he is running a mod (of some sort... all I know is that is NOT the default Egyptian flag ;) )

[Edit] And the fact that the road is missing (How could I miss that -.-)[/Edit]

12. CoZe

CoZe Warlord

wow, that was exactly it ! What a stupid bug ! fort coastal traderoutes don't work if they're on the same landmass ! check this

our good ole alexandria again, uranium is forted, but it is not connected (another uranium is connected elsewhere)

I just remove the stupid impassable mountain via WB and VOILA ! Uranium is connected !

I'm running BUG/BAT. I don't think it's related and of course both tiles are railroaded, who do you think I am ?

13. Dresden

Dresden Emperor

They weren't in the original post and I never assume. :p Odd that it works for me and not for you. Did you try ending your turn after adding the fort when the mountain was still there? And what patchlevel?

14. DanF5771

DanF5771 Emperor

Testing this with World Builder is tricky--you need to put the fort onto the forest first and then connect the mine and the fort with a road to have the plotgroups updated. If you do it the other way around there won't be an immediate update and the Uranium won't be connected until there is a general update of the plotgroups in the game (e.g. new cities founded, city changes ownership, DoWs...).

Edit: ... or someone terraforms your continent ;).

15. CoZe

CoZe Warlord

They were connected in the original post too, but you can't see it because of the imageshack image shrink. here's a 1280 pixel image since you want to be anal about it.

yes, I did end the turn and it was still not connected. Weird thing is, if I put the mountain back there, it's still connected. So I think making an identical landmass by WB won't give you the same result I have. I'm running 3.17 (latest I believe ?)

16. DanF5771

DanF5771 Emperor

Hey Coze, try taking your original WB test with mine connected to fort via railroad and mountain in place (no terraforming) and declare war on Toku or anyone else --> this should give you uranium as it triggers an update of the plotgroups.

17. Zekrazey1

Zekrazey1 Chieftain

So it's an issue of when the game finally gets around to saying 'hey, these things are connected'? So both cities and forts allow coastal connections, but cities trigger the game to update it's map of connections, whereas forts don't?

18. CoZe

CoZe Warlord

wow, yes that does it ! DoW'ing someone gives access to uranium when there's a fort on one of the tiles ! Is this update of the plotgroups triggered everytime a fort is completed ? (manually ? I always put the fort by WB so maybe it's skipped)

19. DanF5771

DanF5771 Emperor

I'm not completely sure about this, but I found that a Worker finishing a Fort on a tile with a road will not trigger anything whereas the Worker finishing a road on a tile with a Fort will trigger an update...

Edit: A very interesting fact is, that the fort does NOT have to be within your cultural borders to act as a road2coast link! If it is in neutral territory it will work too (not if within cultural borders of a different player).

20. RIcs

RIcs Warlord

always wondering if possibly have "TUNNEL" in those situations....
    after research : refrigeration or plastics !? ( and with fort - bunker - nuke bunker effects.. )