1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Is this a bug??

Discussion in 'Bugs and Crashes' started by Koshling, Aug 24, 2011.

1. Koshling

Koshling Vorlon

In many ways forts act like cities (explicitly so in the code in fact), but I have foudn a case that I think goes too far and that I personall regard as a bug. However, before I 'fix' it I want a read on what everyone else things:

Turns out ships can enter land plots with forts on them (that's the effect of teh acts-like-a-city code being hyperactive IMO). Net result is you can bridge landmasses using forts!

I think this should not be allowed but I wanted to sound out other peoples' opinions before I chnage it...

As an aside it made me think it might be nice to have a woker build (modern era probably) that allows them to build shipping-canals (think Panama canal or Suez) which WOULD have this effect (should be an expensive build). Just a future possibility though...

2. Hydromancerx

Hydromancerx C2C Modder

That has always been. It also allows you to use them as canals. I personally always have liked that feature since there was no specific canal improvement. In short, no its not a bug. And I personally like that.

3. Koshling

Koshling Vorlon

Doesn't seem realistic to me. Also the AI doesn't know about placing forts in this way, so I need to either teach the AI the value of it, or stop it happening. I can do either (stopping it is easier, but having the AI bridge wth forts shouldnt be too hard really either).

I'll go with the consensus. Taking Hydro as a vote for the status quo.

4. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Warlord

It is a BtS feature but only works for two fort canals. It is very useful if you use them with lakes. :) Please don't remove it.

5. climat

climat Chieftain

It's the only way to have canal-like thing currently. Please teach AI. :)
    I want to see "real" canals in the game, though.

6. strategyonly

strategyonly C2C Supreme Commander

As long as the change of the AI does NOT interfere with the current system that is employed, and CAN understand the change then change the AI, but if the performance or turn times or culture changes that much, then thats a different story, i dont want anything messing with the performance, because you have worked to hard to get it to where its at;)

7. BlueGenie

BlueGenie Chieftain

It does come with a good limitation though. Not sure if this is valid for cities placed on peaks but a fort on a peak does NOT allow naval units to traverse it.
    A change I'd think would be good would be to also disallow Forts on hills naval traversing. That way it'd only be on flatland you could dig out those "canals" for your naval units.

Cheers

8. AIAndy

AIAndy Chieftain

Only forts directly next to water have that behavior. I think that means it was meant as a way for your ships as a safe harbor which later got used for 2 field canals by the players.
    The 2 field distance limits it in quite a nice way.
    Better would be a separate canal improvement though which is expensive to build but can be built further than 2 fields. Cheap to build on rivers, expensive on plains and grassland, extremely expensive on hills. Might also give a small amount of commerce to the plot.