Is this a dangerous precedent?

cgannon64

BOB DYLAN'S ROCKIN OUT!
I've seen alot of these articles lately.

So, I ask, is this a dangerous precedent? If routine stopping of flights based on terror threats continues, it could damage the airline industry...

Also, do you think that there have been this many threats lately or the government is just playing it extra-safe?

If I was feeling particularly conspiratorial, I'd say the government was inventing the threat so as to justify further intrusions on privacy and restrictions on liberty.

Remember when Bush raised the terror threat to the highest it's ever been, and gave absolutely no reason at all?

These flight delays are in line with the explanation given when the threat level was raised to Orange. The government said that they had credible threats that terrorist were interested in flights originating overseas and that it was a window of a few weeks.

What I have not heard is if people are being detained and questioned without warrants or lawyers present. Is this treated as a raid? Or are they simply security sweeps in which identity of passengers is confirmed and bags are checked? When we fly we willingly waive some rights to privacy in the name of security. The unanswered question in my mind is whether these delays are more intrusive than passengers typically are used to.

Originally posted by cgannon64
So, I ask, is this a dangerous precedent? If routine stopping of flights based on terror threats continues, it could damage the airline industry
The USA shut down ALL airflights in the USA for serveral days back in 2001, and yes it hurt the airline industry.

I feel that the government is going overboard on this especially when Bush gives little to no reason on why he is actually raising the security rating. I feel we are sacrificing alot of our liberties for some almost useless security.

Originally posted by Pirate
The unanswered question in my mind is whether these delays are more intrusive than passengers typically are used to.

I would say they are. There was a British Airways flight a few days ago that was grounded on the tarmac in Washington, DC, then all the passengers had to be taken in small groups for questioning by the FBI, then once that was done all the bags had to be checked and screened. The whole process put the flight back about three hours, and IIRC, it couldn't even fly then.

Originally posted by Lefty Scaevola
The USA shut down ALL airflights in the USA for serveral days back in 2001, and yes it hurt the airline industry.

How much of an effect did that really have though? I mean obviously alot of the damage came from people being afraid to fly.

That was perfectly justified at the time, however (IMO).

BTW the terror alert has been at orange several times before and they never did this. This is pretty much a new thing, started this Christmas...

the Bush Administration is calling wolf to much. one flight i was on got stopped once in Oakland for like 2 hours. they interviewed my dad and put him on the news. at least i was sitting next to a guy who was funny. whats worse is that the day before my flight from Colorado Springs was canceled because Northwest Airlines couldn't get ebough money to make the flight. the next day, they waited for 2 hours in Colorado Springs just so that 2 pilots, who weren't even flying the plane, could go on. after that, we decided never to flr Northwest again. and then the Scare-attack!

If I was feeling particularly conspiratorial, I'd say the government was inventing the threat so as to justify further intrusions on privacy and restrictions on liberty.
---------------------------------------------
the Bush Administration is calling wolf to much.

But as soon as something does happen there will be moans about why they weren't doing more. They just can't win.

@cgannon: Well the airlines are the ones stopping the flights, not the govt. I guess they think the security risk is greater than the potential damage to their business...

Originally posted by cgannon64

How much of an effect did that really have though? I mean obviously alot of the damage came from people being afraid to fly.
100s of $millions

Originally posted by Speedo

@cgannon: Well the airlines are the ones stopping the flights, not the govt. I guess they think the security risk is greater than the potential damage to their business...

Is that so? That is very interesting.

Of course, maybe the government told them to do it and they don't have the power/guts to refuse. Or maybe the govenrment hypes the threat to make them stop it...but I'm just thinking of possibilities here...

their crying wolf. that way, when someone says, "You raised the terror alert level for no reason!" the Hawks can say, "What about that flight from Saudi Arabia to Britian that got canceled? I t could have been a terrorist attack!"

Is that so? That is very interesting.

Well, all the articles I see say "British Airways cancelled."

their crying wolf. that way, when someone says, "You raised the terror alert level for no reason!" the Hawks can say, "What about that flight from Saudi Arabia to Britian that got canceled? I t could have been a terrorist attack!"

Yep, crying wolf, evil conspiracy... right up until something happens...

Originally posted by sims2789
their crying wolf.
It is possible. If they progessively raise the terror level in late October without much explanation I will be very suspicious.

On the other hand it is reasonable to assume that there will be more hijacking attempts and other terrorist efforts in the US. Given what has happened only a fool or a very naive child would think otherwise. Generally we don't hear about terrorist acts that are prevented. Grounding specific flights is a rare step. If it prevented possible attacks I have no problem with it.

Oh yeah, they're crying wolf all the time, but when something happens and they don't "cry wolf" its all George W's fault!
Get over your anti-american feelings and open up your damn eyes.

Top Bottom