Is this even possible? potential new PBEM

Nighthawk419

Deity
Pretty much a noob PBEMer here. I recently got back into Civ 4 about 6 months ago playing against a buddy of mine in super long PBEM games starting this past summer. Playing 1 v 1 v 16 AI's we've managed to get through almost 2 games in 6 months, normal speed. Of course we have nights where we only do 2-3 turns a night, and some nights we blow away 15 turns each. I absolutely love the PBEM games and can see myself playing these games nearly forever. Anyway, I'm assuming this idea will get flamed away from all you PBEM regulars, but here goes nothing...

Thinking about starting a massive 18 human PBEM game. It would be good old fashioned civ: no teams, normal speed, huge map, all victory conditions except time, ancient start (possible a slightly advanced start, but only slightly) etc. Everything would be enabled from espionage to human diplomacy as to war and peace, etc. I have no idea as to my skill level other than I think I'm a little better than Noble (currently topping the leaderboard in our current game on Noble) but haven't actually tried the next level yet (Prince?)... With a game like this I can honestly see people of all levels within reason joining in, as if 1 super advanced player starts going nuts, I'm assuming the rest of the world would gang up and try to stop him from winning a domination victory. I imagine diplomacy would be a huge thing in this game, and definitely more fun than dealing with AI diplomacy.

I have more ideas as to settings and whatnot. In reading through a few PBEM games on here, it looks like the standard is to do a turn every 48 hours. Considering I am doing minimum 3 turns a night as it is, I don't see it as a problem for me, however with 18 people I could see how things could grind to a halt quickly.

I just wanted to throw the idea out there to gauge interest and see if anyone has actually tried this before with any kind of success...

Looking forward to responses, and if its all flame then so be it... I can take it! :nuke:

18 player games are in general turned into Pittboss games..

For PBEM purposes it would simply take to long.
Based upon my experience I would say that even with 18 committed players such a PBEM would take at least 2 to 3 years..

Whats a pittboss game? Sorry I'm a little technology illiterate... hence why I love PBEM games haha

and 2-3 years is fine with me... I fully expect it would run for a very, very, very long time.

Pitbosss games are like regular multiplayer games with the difference that the turn timer is in the range of 20hours and players can log in take their turn and log off again. One needs a server that is running the game though.

For the record I´d join a 18player pbem. So if you ever get 16 other players tell me

I will admit I'm shocked by the response... or lack thereof, which basically tells me that people would be down for a maxed out PBEM game!

I am going to run some tests with advanced starts this weekend when I get a chance and will be posting the details on a new game on Monday! 18 players, or as many as possible within a reasonable starting timeframe!

Well put me down.

Quitters who stop playing and don't post or respond to emails could be a problem in such a large game.

Hello,

This is my first post on the forum. I'm interested in playing a PBEM (first time for me with "foreign" people).
I'm interested by this game. I'm from France.

:)

Top Bottom