Is this game too easy?

Idleray

Warlord
Currently on my first Deity playthrough and already losing interest... score at nearly double the next highest AI.

It seems the tried-and-true Domination playstyle is still incredibly powerful, and to this domination player it looks like all the other victory types are just gimped Domination victories that stop half-way.

I can't play Civ games without war, unfortunately. It's too boring otherwise and relies too much on luck.

The diplomacy system also appears to be completely irrelevant for me: since every game I get denounced for playing properly and triggering AI agendas that are along the lines of "you got more stuff than me how DARE you"

So yea, I'm not seeing much replay potential here. This is practically on the same level as BE in terms of playability. At least CiV deity posed a challenge (in the heavy-handed manner of giving the AI ridiculous bonuses), but here I am having the highest score when I've only eliminated one rival when the same thing would never be possible in CiV

The short answer is "yes, it's too easy." The AI needs some major patching. It isn't even competitive right now. I'm playing at Emperor, not Deity, but I'm not surprised to learn that it's the same story up there. That said, I'm choosing to have faith that the devs are working furiously on it. If you take a break and come back in a month, I don't think anyone will hold it against you.

Yeah, seems a bit easy right now, even on Deity. The first ~150 turns are somewhat interesting, when it's all about expanding and spamming cities, but after that it's hardly worth finishing the game. Once you established your position the AI won't/can't touch you, and after that it's just a long grind to a victory condition.

yes. Don't get me wrong, I'm still having a blast, but it's but not as challenging on the higher levels as it should be.

But you are limiting yourself doing domination-only. The builder game is pretty fun IMO.

Yes, Deity is way, way too easy. Once you make it through the first 50 or so turns intact, you can't lose. On Deity! I can't believe that's true about a Civ game, but it is.

Deity is too easy even if you use none of the game's many exploits. It's too easy even if you stay small and avoid early conquest and ignore the many AI Settlers the game is begging you to steal. The AI does not expand quickly and does not tech well. Even if you stay at 5 or 6 cities, you will inevitably catch up. If you get to 10 or more cities, the late game will be a total joke.

Yes, Deity is way, way too easy. Once you make it through the first 50 or so turns intact, you can't lose. On Deity! I can't believe that's true about a Civ game, but it is.

Deity is too easy even if you use none of the game's many exploits. It's too easy even if you stay small and avoid early conquest and ignore the many AI Settlers the game is begging you to steal. The AI does not expand quickly and does not tech well. Even if you stay at 5 or 6 cities, you will inevitably catch up. If you get to 10 or more cities, the late game will be a total joke.
this is true, I had a 20 tech lead on Immortal and I had like 8-9 cities only

this is true, I had a 20 tech lead on Immortal and I had like 8-9 cities only

Right? And the only thing in Civ VI that actually slows down the human player's expansion is that human players sometimes decide to try a tall game just for fun. Because the AI is not going to be able to stop a human from taking its cities.

Sometimes I have a harder time fighting Civ 6's barbarians than the other AI Civs. :/

I have been enjoying multiplayer though.

Yup, way way way too easy. The AI doesn't know how to tech, how to expand, how to build units, how to upgrade units. They don't even know how to pop a goody hut that is right next to their unit at the start of the turn. Come to think of it, in a 4X game, the AI fails miserably at every X. They probably tried to get around all of this by giving the AI even more settlers, but it doesn't help at all. That's just more early cities for me.

They don't even know how to pop a goody hut that is right next to their unit at the start of the turn.
I'm really curious whether that's a bug, an oversight, or an example of taking the "don't upset the player" philosophy too far. (or, I suppose, someone thinking that the AI might actually have better things to do with their unit)

I'm really curious whether that's a bug, an oversight, or an example of taking the "don't upset the player" philosophy too far. (or, I suppose, someone thinking that the AI might actually have better things to do with their unit)

It's the automated explore that's the bug. I had a scout on auto-explore the other day, and it revealed a goodie hut. Thinking it would automatically go pop it the next turn, I left it on auto-explore.. only to see the scout move away from the hut and towards a nearby CS to reveal more of the CS's territory...

It's the automated explore that's the bug. I had a scout on auto-explore the other day, and it revealed a goodie hut. Thinking it would automatically go pop it the next turn, I left it on auto-explore.. only to see the scout move away from the hut and towards a nearby CS to reveal more of the CS's territory...
Oh, that's interesting. Haven't used auto-explore. In one of the previews the devs said a unit on auto-explore should get out of that mode if a hut is revealed. Apparently a bug then.

Oh, that's interesting. Haven't used auto-explore. In one of the previews the devs said a unit on auto-explore should get out of that mode if a hut is revealed. Apparently a bug then.

That's what's happened to me so far, it turns off auto-explore whenever a unit finds a hut, or gets promoted. I think it was just a bug.

I might have gone out of auto-explore, after which I just clicked auto-explore again and it ignored the hut. I'll test it again on my next game. Thanks!

Apparently Ai doesn't research a bunch of military techs.
Which results in my tanks riding over their warriors.
Barbarians are actually the only danger - a camp spawning 4 cavalry is brutal.

It's easy on deity if you don't get screwed on start (and are not playing one of the best warmongering Civs). If you however are playing a slow start Civ and get stuck in the middle between multiple AIs, you will die.

You can definitely get screwed on Deity (possibly even on lower levels) if a horse camp is too close to you. You can literally have your capital surrounded by horse units before you have time to build anything. An early DOW by 2 very close AIs, or by Sumeria, can also be a challenge. Barring that it's pretty safe though. Have any of the high-skilled players here had mid-to-late-game Deity losses? Via religion, maybe? I've gotten close to losing by that a couple times.

You can definitely get screwed on Deity (possibly even on lower levels) if a horse camp is too close to you. You can literally have your capital surrounded by horse units before you have time to build anything. An early DOW by 2 very close AIs, or by Sumeria, can also be a challenge. Barring that it's pretty safe though. Have any of the high-skilled players here had mid-to-late-game Deity losses? Via religion, maybe? I've gotten close to losing by that a couple times.

One of the reasons I rush religion early, even as warmonger, so that hypocrites like Ghandi and Spain cannot apostle-spam their way to victory.
With religion up I can faith-spam combat units with Theocracy and also ask AIs not to convert my cities so they stick their apostles somewhere else. If they dare to ignore and spread their religion, I just DoW and ride over all their apostles in 1 turn with a horse.

Sumeria is annoying with the donkeys, yes.
But honestly, if right on start you tech Animal Husbandry -> Archery and have a bunch of archers, AI cannot do anything meaningful to you.
Just don't let them surround a city - 3 Monty's Eagle warriors can nuke a capital in 1 turn. Feels lame man.

Last edited by a moderator:
I find the difficulty highly dependent on start location mostly. If you get room to expand early or horses and a close neighbor, it's easy. If you get no strategic resources, horsehocky land and crammed between two civs who rush you early it can be borderline impossible. Even if I hold off my enemies, I've lost tons of early growth/expansion and will fall too far behind in science to fend off the second or third wave attacks, never mind going on the offensive when 2-3 eras behind.

Top Bottom