Is this game worth getting?

Phoenix Master

Chieftain
I have civ 4 the complete edition and civ 5 the complete edition. I also have civ 6 for my xbox one s. How does old world compare to these games? Also, I've only beaten these games on the standard difficulty level. I am basically wondering if old world is easy to play for beginners?

If you enjoyed Civ4, there's a very high chance you'll enjoy OW. I've definitely noticed an overlap between Civ4 fans and OW fans, which only makes sense because many of the same people have worked on both games.

There's definitely a learning curve to Old World. We have five tutorial scenarios to introduce you to the concepts, because OW is very different from Civ mechanically, even if it at first glance it really looks like Civ. But hopefully we've balanced the difficulty levels well, the two easiest difficulties are intended for you to learn the ropes.

I have civ 4 the complete edition and civ 5 the complete edition. I also have civ 6 for my xbox one s. How does old world compare to these games? Also, I've only beaten these games on the standard difficulty level. I am basically wondering if old world is easy to play for beginners?

I've been playing Civ since Civ III regularly. Civ IV was my favorite iteration but I've appreciated some of the improvements in Civ VI to certain features. However I am also a fan of the Paradox games that have features absent from Civ including inheritance and leader traits impacting the overall civ, narrative events and event chains, etc.

All that said, I am enjoying Old World because it is a hybrid of both of those aspects. The inheritance and family aspects are not *perfect*, but they are great for the turn-based type of game this is, and where they aren't perfect there are paths to improvement. Plus the narrative events which are entirely absent from the Civ franchise, while some can be repetitive, add a welcome freshness to each playthrough. It retains the city-base and combat structure of Civ, and a tech tree reminiscent of Civ with some cool changes, but adds the familial and relationship layer that has the foundations of something really great.

When I bought the game a few months ago it was only $30 which I think was a fair price for the state of the game. It is complete in it's vision but I think there is so much depth beneath the surface waiting to be tapped into, and for $30 I was happy to join the community.

Basically if you loved civ but wished for an added personality layer, moreso than the superficial Civ leaders always having specific traits, I think you will love it.

Reactions: PiR
there's plenty of tutorial tips ingame to teach you, in addition to the actual tutorials solver mentioned above.

its hex-based and 1Upt like civ 5, but takes the buildings out of the city like civ 6 and places them on the map.
population, in my mind, functions a lot like colonization where you can assign them to various buildings and improvements in your city.
resource-gathering, though, functions more like real-time games you only collect the resources that you're workers have improved, rather than being able to work any tile in your citie's Big Fat Cross (or Bigger Fatter Hexacircle in 5 and 6). [also, bigger fatter hexacircle is my new band name, please don't steal it.]

And then there's the dynasties: you aren't a faceless leader of your civ: youre hatshepsut or romulus or phillip ii, etc. and you have a partner and kids, and they'll inherit your kingdom. and they have traits you can influence, and events that can happen in their lives. it's simpler than CK2, but a bit more than ck3 for now.

there's many other innovations, but as a civ player, that's some of the biggest differences that won't take too long to explain or overwhelm you. it's a fun, complex game, but on a normal level, it's a game where you can just "play" and still win due to fulfilling your in-game ambitions. it's a story-generating 4x game.

Last edited:
Yes! This is also the first 4x game that has caused me to no longer enjoy other 4x games. I can barely even pick up Humankind now, it's so boring.

I got humankind and this game at the same time and I haven't gone back to humankind since getting better at this one.

Top Bottom