1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Is this normal?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Caveman 2 Cosmos' started by Timfromspace, Aug 17, 2019.

1. Timfromspace

Timfromspace Chieftain

So every time i start a game in epic, on prince difficulty and start a town, i only have 2 science, and it very slow to gather new techs, is that normal?

2. Toffer90

Toffer90 C2C Modder

It's not normal or intended exactly, but I think it's the current state of things on the SVN.
    I haven't played the start of the game properly for a while but I know Joe has been tweaking the early game balance, especially through civic changes.
    I did a quick test game about a week ago and did note that science was on the slow side early game, but I think I had 5 beakers per turn after founding my first city.
    He isn't finished with that work so it may be a bit unpolished at the moment... maybe.

@JosEPh_II: Better for you to comment further on this, I don't even know if what he's asking is normal or not on a new game in the current SVN.

3. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

Yes the Prehistoric Era start is slower not just in Science but Culture, Production and especially in Gold. As you work your way thru the Tech tree, and open up each New Civic Option, they rate will begin to pick up the rates. This is true for all Difficulties as well as Game Speed used.

Suggestion look over the Civics. All starting ie Default Civics have malus attached. Now Compare to next Civic in each category and you will begin to see the malus start to be lessened. By the Time you hit Tribalism the rates will be ~80% back to levels previous to these changes. Techs with Civics are as important as Techs with Buildings, Wonders, or Units now. Adjust your play accordingly.

And no it is not a finished project either. The Main goal is Gold reduction in the early game. Too many players saying "Too Much Gold". This is being addressed Era by Era. Same for Science, Culture and Production rates with varying degrees of manipulations.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
  4. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Deity

The only main point to hunting is to get the Myths and their point is to increase your science but only in the Prehistoric Era. This way we can represent the slowness of the real prehistoric era but make the game play a bit less slow.

5. Timfromspace

Timfromspace Chieftain

Thanks for the response, one more thing, do you have tips on how to keep up with the ai research, they seem to be 20-30 tech in front of me, at least the most advance civ is, and i just got to tribalism, got 4-5 city atm. is there anything i could read to get better?

6. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

On Prince Difficulty you will start closing the gap in Science by the time you get to Standardization Tech which leads to Bronze Working. Getting a Religion that gives good Science is also something to be aware of. Keep you Education level Positive for every city you own. Look over the upcoming Civics and Techs that will also boost Science and head for them. Traits are also important to look at in this as well.

On Prince you should be on level footing with most of the AI by Classical Era. And by Medieval you starting to pull ahead, possibly sooner.

The Higher the Difficulty level the longer it takes to catch the leading AI as the Mod stands right now. On Immortal expect the AI to get ahead of you by almost 2 Eras by Mid Ancient. Takes some good strategy to catch up, it wont be easy and will take so time. But it can be done.

billw2015 likes this.
  7. margolloxx

margolloxx Chieftain

Is the difficulty so different in the latest svn from v39? i am currently playing on immortal at v39 and i managed to outpace the ai in Prehistoric before Tribalism. I should mention that i got a lucky start with river caves and a natural wonder after moving a bit.

8. jshetley

jshetley Warlord

Getting the neanderthal wonder helps a lot. The units it enables are more powerful than the regular ones. The neanderthal trackers have helped me a lot. Hunting is very important in the prehistoric era. I'd almost go as far as saying that if you do not hunt you can not win a C2C game. The neanderthal warriors are very nice too. And yes you must get better civics as soon as you can since production, gold, and research get much better once you get rid of the starting civics.

9. raxo2222

raxo2222 Time Traveller

Are you playing on PIT's scenario?
    Its easy to have 10 cities, when AIs have one city here, especially on slower speeds - more time to manoeuvrer units.

10. irishhombre

irishhombre Prince

I agree completely, hunting is vital. I always make a beeline to unlock trackers. Neanderthal units are very useful.

11. margolloxx

margolloxx Chieftain

i am playing on a perfectworld map, standard size, 8startingcivs, snail speed,
    All players started on the same continent, too. As mentioned before i started by moving to a rivercaves position with a natural wonder (Kili) and built those as well as the Rockshelter Wonder. In between i also recruited a few brutes to hunt early animals (10% subdue is good enough for me). My closest neighbors i harassed with exiles and it didnt take long until i catched up in tech. for some reason they decided not to research trackers early.
    On a side note: during ancient i saw one ai in particular starving his capital (or sacrificing?) down to pop 4 and never growing again, which i thought was weird.