Is this the new Germany?

classical_hero

In whom I trust
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/mayor-of-cologne-says-women-should-have-code-of-conduct-to-prevent-future-assault-a6798186.html
The crisis management team said prevention measures should include a code of conduct for young women and girls, and Mayor Reker said the existing code of conduct will be updated online.

The suggested code of conduct includes maintaining an arm’s length distance from strangers, to stick within your own group, to ask bystanders for help or to intervene as a witness, or to inform the police if you are the victim of such an assault.

Is this the new Germany where women have to on guard ll the time when they are outside because of the threat of sexual assault is now much greater? Because of the danger present they now have live by a code of conduct when outside. Interesting times for German women.

I don't know. Would be good to hear from the locals if the recommendation is being fairly represented or not

Real or not, this is a c_h thread; you're only getting the one post out of him, so I don't suppose it matters all that much.

Although I am neither a woman nor a German, I personally think an arm's length distance from a stranger to be uncomfortably short. Really.

Sticking with my own group is a normal thing if I come within a group. If I split off I tell at least somebody where I'm going and if I intend to return.

And as to informing the police if you're a victim of an assault.. well, who else is there to be informed?

So, what's so spooky about that all?

Lol. I meant intentionally obtuse, and maybe I was being snarky. Publishing a code of conduct for women in response to a public gang-rape seems odd, to say the least. Also some of the recommendation seem inappropriate in the context of a public celebration. Like I said though, I don't know if this story is a fair representation

Well, to start with, the quote says, "the existing code of conduct will be updated." So there already has been a code of conduct, and there's nothing new in having one.

Besides, there are in fact safety precautions that I routinely take. Maybe it's just me being excessively reclusive and unsociable. But keeping distance from strangers and staying out of a crowds increases the odds of being away from the trouble when the trouble happens.

Especially when the city crawls with culturally alien refugees.

Edit:
E.g.: Accidents on rallies happen frequently enough to know they can happen. Still people don't care about their own safety and go there instead of watching it online, on TV, or at least from a distance. What do we have next:
Saturday's accident saw newcomer Guo Meiling lose control of her X-Raid Mini over a jump, leaving the course and hitting a group of spectators. Though initial reports placed the number of injured at four, subsequent updates revealed the number had grown to 11 – six adults and five children. Four helicopters and numerous ambulances responded to the scene of the accident to treat and evacuate the victims, which included a father and his 14-year-old son reported to be in serious condition.
link

Footage of the incident appears to show the vehicle swerving to the left and the right of the dirt road before crashing into the gathered crowd on the side of the track.
[snip]
...including a pregnant woman...
Link

Okay, I can understand many things, but what the hell a pregnant woman was doing there? :crazyeye:

Lol. I meant intentionally obtuse, and maybe I was being snarky. Publishing a code of conduct for women in response to a public gang-rape seems odd, to say the least. Also some of the recommendation seem inappropriate in the context of a public celebration. Like I said though, I don't know if this story is a fair representation

It does sound odd.

The government discussing a code of conduct for how women should behave so as to discourage roving bands of men from sexually assaulting them is a crock of dung. It makes it sounds as if the government is placing the focus on how the women should behave rather than these packs of (dare I say it 'Arab and North African looking' [descriptions quoted in numerous news stories]) men that couldn't help but rob and sexually assault people who were attempting to celebrate the New Year in a manner in which they have been doing for years without this sort of incident.

Last year females in Canada and the US were staging slut walks.
I wonder how that would fit into the 'code of conduct' the German authorities are talking about.

How about they place the focus on the behavior of those f*#%ing animals that turned New Years Eve in Cologne and Stuttgart into a freakin nightmare?

How about they place the focus on the behavior of those f*#%ing animals that turned New Years Eve in Cologne and Stuttgart into a freakin nightmare?
Some of "those f*#%ing animals" have war in their country that turned the country into a "freakin nightmare" for them to happen in Cologne in the first place.

Secondly, if you're a mayor, you basically have 2 options:

- concentrate the "those f*#%ing animals" in camps, which is not an option actually given the German history with concentration camps, let alone calling some people names based on their ethnicity.

- instruct your own population, being historically proud (and rightly so) of being organized, pedantical, punctuous and letter-bound, on basic safety rules.

Then restore order and run investigations.

Does it still sound so odd?

Some of "those f*#%ing animals" have war in their country that turned the country into a "freakin nightmare" for them to happen in Cologne in the first place.

Secondly, if you're a mayor, you basically have 2 options:

- concentrate the "those f*#%ing animals" in camps, which is not an option actually given the German history with concentration camps, let alone calling some people names based on their ethnicity.

- instruct your own population, being historically proud (and rightly so) of being organized, pedantical, punctuous and letter-bound, on basic safety rules.

Then restore order and run investigations.

Does it still sound so odd?

So does the fact that these men in particular (those who committed these robberies and sexual assaults) might be from a war zone somehow excuse their behavior?

Is that the way that these attackers should show their gratitude to Germany for taking them in as refugees, for giving them food and shelter? Is robbing Germans and sexually assaulting women an appropriate way for them to show their gratitude to those that have taken them in as refugees?

Additionally, my reference to "those f*#%ing animals" was directed specifically at those that conducted these attacks. It was not directed at anyone specifically based on their ethnicity.

The reference to 'Arab and North African looking men' was from eyewitness accounts quoted in multiple news sources.

So does the fact that these men in particular (those who committed these robberies and sexual assaults) might be from a war zone somehow excuse their behavior?
No, it does not.

Is that the way that these attackers should show their gratitude to Germany for taking them in as refugees, for giving them food and shelter?
No, it is not.

Is robbing Germans and sexually assaulting women an appropriate way for them to show their gratitude to those that have taken them in as refugees?
No, it is not.

That said, we do have to acknowledge theses people objectively are from a different culture. And they can, be it deliberately or accidentally, misinterpret hosts behavior to their advantage.

Like, that girl was dancing invitingly, was she not inviting?

I see this sort of crap for over a decade with some people from Caucasus and Central Asia. And really, it is easier to instruct a girl to kindly keep her distance than to explain to them that a girl in tight jeans and a top showing sideboobs may in fact NOT be interested in sexual intercourse with them right where she is at any particular moment.

Finally, I am sure Germans, for the most part, a very reasonable and logical people. They do what's got to be done.

First thing first: they restore order and let the police work.

Next thing they develop a plan of how to avoid recurrence of the issue: instruct residents on safety, instruct the "guests" to keep their hands in their own pockets.

Then they ensure (enforce if needed) implementation.

What would you do?

Time has changed for Germany. The main train hub in Munchen (which I am using fairly often) has recieved several warnings of possible terrorist attacks at the end of year and was evacuated which is something that last time happened maybe in 70ies. I sincerely hope the present irresponsible German political elite will be send to dumping ground for mishandling latest crisis.

Calling it a "code of conduct" is foolish, and perhaps an (intentional?) accident of translation. Every college, every law enforcement agency...hell, every parent of a daughter...suggests common sense behaviors to reduce the chances of being victimized that look basically like these.

C_H just needed a drive by bomb that could be tossed anywhere but Israel, and Germany is an obvious favorite target.

They say there was a lot of theft with the attacks an it seemed organized so I don't think it was a case of some guys seeing provocatively dressed/ behaving women and responding to that.

Yeah, cops patronisingly lecturing women on how not to be assaulted is a pretty old phenomenon.

Top Bottom