Is this the time, finally, for Victor to take action?

Falabello

Prince
Hy guys! That's the situation...

Two wars at Deity! But I'm calm now :coffee:

So, Qaraqorum is well, and you see I'm worry about my GGeneral. I'm preparing an Army of super horses!

But, Ürümqi - there are two weak Warriors prepared to attack next turn, and others coming. As you see, I have one Governor to choose. So, is the time to choose Victor in this city... I think He needs 5 turns to protect the city?!?! I saved and will return after some advices :rockon:!

Attachments

• Foto1.jpg
    Foto1.jpg
    536.2 KB · Views: 224
  • Foto2.jpg
    Foto2.jpg
    346.2 KB · Views: 181
Victor is the best option when you need to plunk a Governor into a freshly taken frontline city that is in danger of Loyalty flipping or being retaken. He's not completely useless. Plus there's an achievement for having recruited all the Governors in one game.

Any governor is good for preventing/slowing loyalty flip, not just Victor, because all governors add the bonus loyalty immediately. You only have to wait the 5 turns (3 for Victor) for their base and promotion abilities to kick in.

This case isn't about Loyalty. It's about to increase the power of the city.
The city is under siege... I think it will survive the next attack, and I have one Slinger.
But then, If I choose him I can lose the option of Magnus and my fast Army of horses...

Victor is about defense and getting more shots with the walls. Since you don't have walls yet, I don't think he's going to be that useful.

Victor kind of sucks because by the time I get a governor and can start using them, I'm no longer worried about the AI taking my cities. Rarely do I ever fear a city getting taken after turn 25 or so. I wish they made Victor more useful.

Victor isn't going to help the scenario in the pictures. His effect isn't going to happen fast enough and he can only be in one city while you have two taking a beating, with Urumqi about to fall if you don't take drastic measures. You need to break the sieges whatever it takes and attacking out of the cities with your Warriors should be enough. Which would you rather potentially lose, a Warrior in the open or a city?

If you are Zulu's neighbor and don't make him your best friend, he will go find a buddy and attack you. Sometimes you have to do a pointless Joint War with him just to distract him and to become that buddy.

IMHO, this shows exactly why Victor is useless. Even here, he doesn't help.

I don't think Victor is useless, exactly. He's fine assuming your opponent is in any danger of taking your cities. It's just with the AI as it is, that's not a very frequent scenario. I imagine he's more useful against a human opponent.

Victor is about defense and getting more shots with the walls. Since you don't have walls yet, I don't think he's going to be that useful.
Yep. I got it.

By the way, this thread was about to learn something with Victor. This game in particular was just to see the power of Mongol's horses after watching Civtrader6 video. And the result was absolutely formidable, as you see in the picture: no tech, no culture, no gold, just one city, 5 turns to settle near one horse, a completely uncompromising game, no rush, and Deity... But then the horses showed their strength :). I abandoned the game because it was a test. Note also this bug of production in city (999+)... A good city that can produce nothing :rolleyes:...

But my conclusion about Victor:
- experienced players never, never will use him. For nothing!
- medium players maybe. It depends of the situation.
- begginers will have a good reason to defend their cities, because AI will be a problem at any moment.
So, he has his value, remembering this game is for all level players :grouphug:!

Attachments

• Foto.jpg
    Foto.jpg
    764.5 KB · Views: 65
Reactions: liv
With his current bonuses he would need to have a 1 turn installation to be useful, but this would mean you are constantly swapping him. He is good for killing ally spies as the Cree though...

Last edited:
Victor can be of use in attack also by proxy. This is what I use him for and below is the reasons

Unless going religious or just need the small era boost by getting all governors Moksha is the useless one.
Magnus, Liang, Amani, Reyna and Pingala all have good uses in your loyal cities. I do *not* want to waste at least 10 turns of their use by shifting them into a flipping city on the front line.
Magnus and Pingala are the ones most useful for an early promotion in my view but Victor also has a good first promotion that makes him more useful than the rubbishy +5 garrison strength. My troops get +5 in the borders of a Victor city.
In essence in the early stages you are too busy with other governors to get him but once the key things are done you should be half way through your attacks and maybe have a promotion to spare in which case getting Victor up to Garrison Commander and using him as your front line governor makes him useful by the fact that the other governors are more useful elsewhere and the +5 may just help occasionally.

Last edited:
You must be implying I am inexperienced.:hug:

What? No way :lol:! :worship:

In essence in the early stages you are too busy with other governors to get him but once the key things are done you should be half way through your attacks and maybe have a promotion to spare in which case getting Victor up to Garrison Commander and using him as your front line governor makes him useful by the fact that the other governors are more useful elsewhere and the +5 may just help occasionally.

Yeah, I chuck him in newly conquered cities as well. Also use him for loyalty pushes.
Indeed. But I'm learning that in #1 Continent it's not necessary. And in other Continent you can use him for the new conquered cities for Loyalty. But for the #2 Continent I'll test other things, as Colonial Office (+3 Loyalty/t) and also Amani with Prestige (+2 Loyaty for 9tiles city) or Emissary (didn't understand right)... Using Amani, CS can wait a little.

Another thing: if conquering be fast enough :rockon:, Loyalty won't be a problem ;)!

Top Bottom