Is Trump mentally unfit for the presidency to the point that he ought be removed from office?

Is Trump mentally unfit for the presidency to the point that he ought be removed from office?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Saying it's all North Korea's fault and crediting Trump's absolutely preposterous framing of "extortion money" is really the wrong direction to go in for a solution.

The point, of course, is that it's not a false or preposterous framing. It's a partisan framing. It lacks nuance. But saying that they deal in bad faith and extort money is certainly the major component of the modern ills.

But saying that they deal in bad faith and extort money is certainly the major component of the modern ills.

I happen to think the major component of the modern ills is the presence of US forces all up on North Korea and China's jock. Whatever money we give to North Korea is an insubstantial amount. As best I can figure it adds up to maybe tens of millions of dollars over the entire history. It has to be a drop in the bucket of what we spend on our military presence out in East Asia.

Oh, yes. The aid money is tiny. I also try to sell aid money as cheap defensive money, since it usually is a better marginal dollar once sufficient force is available.

And those defensive dollars are pretty cheap. If we look at those as a tax on trade with South Korea, they're cheap

But zkribbler, we regularly give aid to NK. You're only noting the pulses. Edit: nvm. I tend to forget that Americans don't really consider the UN 'we'

Last edited:
I happen to think the major component of the modern ills is the presence of US forces all up on North Korea and China's jock. Whatever money we give to North Korea is an insubstantial amount. As best I can figure it adds up to maybe tens of millions of dollars over the entire history. It has to be a drop in the bucket of what we spend on our military presence out in East Asia.

China might drop DPRK for economic reasons though. Although it's not guaranteed either.

Seeing that most people here do not believe Trump is insane and this being a Civ site, makes me think of my old saying that Putin is really smart but rules Russia like he was playing civilization, the computer game. Trump, who apparently looks up to Putin and his style, is clearly not insane because he looks up to a Civ-like demagogue, in these peoples eyes.
They clearly recognize themselves in Trump, and that must be part of the explanation, that and the obvious brainwashing.

Seeing that most people here do not believe Trump is insane and this being a Civ site, makes me think of my old saying that Putin is really smart but rules Russia like he was playing civilization, the computer game. Trump, who apparently looks up to Putin and his style, is clearly not insane because he looks up to a Civ-like demagogue, in these peoples eyes.
They clearly recognize themselves in Trump, and that must be part of the explanation, that and the obvious brainwashing.

I mean, I'm saying he's not insane because while I actually think he has psychological conditions that make me pity him on some level, I still think he is in control of his faculties and can be held legally responsible for his actions.

I mean, I'm saying he's not insane because while I actually think he has psychological conditions that make me pity him on some level, I still think he is in control of his faculties and can be held legally responsible for his actions.
Stop spoiling my carefully wrought generalizations!

http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/25/politics/us-iranian-missile-launch-fake/index.html

President Donald Trump tweeted about the apparent launch on Saturday: "Iran just test fired a ballistic missile capable of reaching Israel. They are also working with North Korea. Not much of an agreement we have!"
The footage shown on Iranian television appears most likely to be a re-run of a previous test launch, the official said.

So, anyone interested in having a commander-in-chief who's helping Iran propagate their national propaganda?

Let's be clear what happened here. Iran seems to have released propaganda. The guy tasked with being in charge of national defense then decided to propagate fake news. Probably unknowingly, mind. But still an instrument of their propaganda efforts. Not merely victim. Instrument. Really really.

Trump is not playing Civilization. He is Civilization. He's a poorly designed/coded AI player who only accepts deals that are heavily skewed in his favor, breaks them anyway, denounces allies because he is "not winning" and wastes resources on unnecessary walls and units.

Better that impeach him, he (the office he holds) should be explicitly stripped of the power to initiate acts of aggression against any other country.

Use the opportunity of having a president unpopular with a wide swath of the population, and the fact that many of those who do support him are not fond of more military adventures abroad, to reduce the powers of the imperial presidency.

Last edited:
It isn't Trump alone, though. Else he wouldn't be potus. He is obviously a symptom of a much more persistent problem, which imo includes super-polarization and trolling instead of any discussion in fairness and honesty. Why so surprised to get a tv persona as potus when news debate/presentation has been done by similar tv personas?

As someone with some knowledge of mental health, it's my considered opinion that he has completely lost his mind.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/25/politics/us-iranian-missile-launch-fake/index.html

So, anyone interested in having a commander-in-chief who's helping Iran propagate their national propaganda?

Let's be clear what happened here. Iran seems to have released propaganda. The guy tasked with being in charge of national defense then decided to propagate fake news. Probably unknowingly, mind. But still an instrument of their propaganda efforts. Not merely victim. Instrument. Really really.
Great isn't it?

Keep in mind that those who elected Trump were appalled that Obama had tried diplomacy on Iran. What? Resolve conflicts peacefully? That's not the American way! So the "launch" is as much propaganda for Trump as it is for the war hawks in Iran. And I for one think it's worrying that those two align.

Last edited:
Trump is not playing Civilization. He is Civilization. He's a poorly designed/coded AI player who only accepts deals that are heavily skewed in his favor, breaks them anyway, denounces allies because he is "not winning" and wastes resources on unnecessary walls and units.
The fact this is so true is both hilarious and frightening.

Great isn't it?

Keep in mind that those who elected Trump were appalled that Obama had tried diplomacy on Iran. What? Resolve conflicts peacefully? That's not the American way! So the "launch" is as much propaganda for Trump as it is for the war hawks in Iran. And I for one think it's worrying that those two align.

It's really a thing. The CIC is tweeting Iranian propaganda to his base. Now we need a poll to see how many of his supporters are now misinformed about what Iran did.

Last edited:
You might as well argue he's feeding his base to what they want to hear. Truth is hardly relevant there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom