Is Trump mentally unfit for the presidency to the point that he ought be removed from office?

Is Trump mentally unfit for the presidency to the point that he ought be removed from office?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
He could theoretically pardon himself and his family no?
He can pardon anyone (but maybe not himself) for federal offenses even if the people have not be convicted or indicted. He cannot pardon anyone for violating state laws. That is why Mueller is working with the the NY State Attorney's office.

He could theoretically pardon himself and his family no?

Pardons only apply to federal crimes, and they are tantamount to an admission of guilt. Anyone pardoned would still likely be in jeopardy in state court, and accepting a pardon on a federal charge may only bolster the case against them.

Sometimes I get the impression that Trump mostly went into the elections for--I'm not sure exactly what, making some kind of statement I would think, and that he actually wasn't expecting to become president.
Yeah, the statement was "Look at me!"

4 billion dollars

thats if he's worth 10

not a bad pay off if you care who gets your money when you die

has rocket man blinked yet?

Last edited:
Sometimes I get the impression that Trump mostly went into the elections for--I'm not sure exactly what, making some kind of statement I would think, and that he actually wasn't expecting to become president.

Ot was all an Apprentice promo that got out of hand.

I'm biased, but I think we're well into 25th amendment territory here. If a president this unstable isn't what the 25th amendment was written for, then I don't know why we bothered to pass it.

Who still cares about the spirit or original intent of the constitution any more ? The whole point of the electoral college was to override the "will of the people" in case "the people" fall for a snake oil salesman.

Who still cares about the spirit or original intent of the constitution any more ? The whole point of the electoral college was to override the "will of the people" in case "the people" fall for a snake oil salesman.
Of course, the constitution cannot cover everything, for example, no computer technologies were available at the time of George Washington's presidency.

I had once wished the nation should go for the direct popular voting, but how do we recount the votes for the entire nation? Kennedy vs. Nixon was only about 100,000 apart in popular votes in 1960. Can it be done within several hours to a day?

Under the electoral college, the recounts can be proceeded in just one state.

if we went by popular vote california would decide the election every single time. not sure if ok with that

if we went by popular vote california would decide the election every single time. not sure if ok with that
The United States of America has a population of 323.1 million. The State of California has a population of 39.25 million. That's about 12.2% of the national total, which is to say, about 38% shy of a majority.

Now, I'm no statistician...

I dont think declaring him unfit would work, he was acting like this all long - the unfit for office charge probably refers to a change in the person

Some people would also declare Hillary Clinton as unfit to run for the presidency due to the email server issues, but it was the voters who decided the final destiny of a candidate or a sitting president, unless there were clear evidences such as Watergate.

Define "can't win." There was no way Trump could win Wisconsin, Minnesota, Pennsylvania, etc.

I cant define it, the candidates make the assessment and direct $$$ accordingly. But with the electoral college the candidates have to be more strategic than just pouring money into the biggest markets, they have to decide which states are 'winnable' and deserving of ad buys and which states are a waste of money. There's no reason for Trump to buy ads in California, so the popular vote in California is somewhat meaningless. If the state was in play Trump would have made more effort and the vote totals would be different.

Define "can't win." There was no way Trump could win Wisconsin, Minnesota, Pennsylvania, etc.
Trump won Wisconsin, Michigan and Pennsylvania with margins less than 1% in all 3.

The democrats should remember to vote, not sitting at home or elsewhere. Donald Trump won Michigan with only around 2.28 millions of popular votes vs. Hillary Clinton's 2.27 millions. George W. Bush got more than 2.31 millions and he still lost to John Kerry's 2.48 millions in Michigan in 2004.
http://presidentelect.us/2004/

I'm biased, but I think we're well into 25th amendment territory here. If a president this unstable isn't what the 25th amendment was written for, then I don't know why we bothered to pass it. Although, I wouldn't want to see the 25th amendment invoked, unless Trump were really going to do something catastrophic, like nuking North Korea. I'm hoping the investigation sinks him before it comes to that.
The hardest part is that in order to remove a president, the impeachment must take on the stage, the Republicans are currently controlling the entire legislative branch.

Of course, the constitution cannot cover everything, for example, no computer technologies were available at the time of George Washington's presidency.

I had once wished the nation should go for the direct popular voting, but how do we recount the votes for the entire nation? Kennedy vs. Nixon was only about 100,000 apart in popular votes in 1960. Can it be done within several hours to a day?

The new president is inaugurated three months after the election, so it doesn't really matter if a recount can be done in one day or one week.

The new president is inaugurated three months after the election, so it doesn't really matter if a recount can be done in one day or one week.
The cost to recount the entire nation is way too expensive.

Former President Obama even rejected to recount only 3 Rust Belt states after Trump declared his presidential victory.

There better not to be additional protests launching within the meantime of a lengthy recount.

Obama was always a bit of a fool when it came to challenging Republicans.
I don't know what a recount would cost but, but O'm sure it's negligible in the grand scheme of government expenditures and it's rarely even necessary.

I believe the reason Gore lost Florida is because his campaign wanted recounts in specific districts, the court said that would treat those voters differently - recount the entire state with the same standard instead.

I believe the reason Gore lost Florida is because his campaign wanted recounts in specific districts, the court said that would treat those voters differently - recount the entire state with the same standard instead.
If Puerto Rico were a state, they'd vote for the democrats like Hawaii. Puerto Rico has the population size similar to Connecticut thus 7-8 electoral votes.

Note: Bush 271 vs. Gore 267 in 2000

Puerto Rico couldn't even declare a "State of Emergency" after Hurricane Maria stroke.

Obama was always a bit of a fool when it came to challenging Republicans.
In what way?

I think he could have done a better job managing Congress but when the opposition leadership meet on inauguration day and proclaim their only goal is to make the President single-term, working with them is going to be an uphill battle. And it was - they spent 8 years doing everything they could to keep the government from functioning to appease their base. As far as elections go, by 2012 the Republicans had finished the majority of their redistricting process and had chosen their voters to maintain and build their power base. The Republicans get fewer votes than Democrats in state-wide and federal elections but keep winning because they've built in their advantage. There is no real mechanism for a President to undo this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom