1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Is Trump mentally unfit for the presidency to the point that he ought be removed from office?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Perfection, Aug 21, 2017.

?

Is Trump mentally unfit for the presidency to the point that he ought be removed from office?

1. Yes

57.1%
  2. No

42.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Retired Moderator Supporter

The Universe has spoken and The Donald is in eclipse!!!

2. onejayhawk

onejayhawk Afflicted with reason

There are two threads with "impeach" and "Trump" in the title. The idea has come up many times in other threads, eg the one on the Comey firing.

What is he eclipsing? The sun, the moon, the stars, Hillary Clinton?

J

3. Pokurcz

Pokurcz Emperor

The common sense of the GOP.

4. Hrothbern

Hrothbern Deity

A couple of thousand of years ago, removing Trump would be a no-brainer for the ruling priests

Hygro and Pokurcz like this.
  5. El_Machinae

El_Machinae Colour vision since 2018 Retired Moderator

Well, the fact that I don't think he's qualified to make judgments upon most of the serious issues, I think he's just generally unqualified. And so, people have to figure out how to explain to me how he'd be better than Pence along every single important dimension.

The other half is that he is an employee hired to do a job. He's blown through his secret service budget, he made noises about not performing his executive obligations on behalf of the ACA. You're in the position where an employee is telling you that he's not going to do the job he was hired to do. Try getting him to administer the various departments that law and voters hired him to administer.

LucyDuke and VicRatlhead5199 like this.
  6. Mechanicalsalvation

Mechanicalsalvation -

Why so far? Two decades or even less Trump would likely didnt stand a chance in the election but the idiot-president J.W.Bush and peace loving president Obama selling more weapons and bombing more people then Bush has happened among many many other things...

7. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

Other than Trump isn't safe to leave alone in the same room with even moderately-attractive females of any age vs. Pence, who won't eat in the same room with a woman if his wife isn't there to chaperone?

They've both got serious issues there.

Exactly. There's this presidential cult thing going on, or at least that's what it seems like. It doesn't matter who it is, they're put on some kind of pedestal and worshiped.

They seem to forget that they're just one more public servant. A highly privileged and pampered one with more responsibilities than the others, but still a public servant. They serve the country. The country doesn't serve them.

VicRatlhead5199 likes this.
  8. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Spoiler :

So now he's going to be stupid AND blind

Pokurcz and VicRatlhead5199 like this.
  9. Ryika

Ryika Lazy Wannabe Artista

It's the fact that this sort of story trends that makes me think America is full of idiots. What makes the eclipse so dangerous for your eyes is that you don't have the reflex to look away because it doesn't dazzle you, and doesn't trigger the reflexes to look away. Just looking at the eclipse for a second or two isn't going to cause any harm, not more than accidentally looking at the sun for a moment or two is going to cause.

From what I can tell, he looked up at it without glasses for like... a brief moment or two twice. Both of which aren't going to cause any harm, not any more harm than if you stare at the blank sun for a moment before it starts to hurt and you look away. For that, he would have to look up ~15-20 seconds at minimum, and even then, most cases of people who looked up this long did still not suffer from permanent vision damage, for a big risk of that to happen, you'd have to stare at it way longer.

Yet, the media are treating it as if he had been watching the eclipse for minutes without putting on his glasses, and the uninformed people treat it as if it's a big deal. It's a non-story designed to cause further damage to the image of Trump and people are eating it up because it fits their narrative, instead of evaluating these stories critically.

Hygro and El_Machinae like this.
  10. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

It's just a stupid thing to do. If you're the president of the U.S. you should know that eyes are on you, so you shouldn't do obviously stupid things, like looking straight at the sun.

Pokurcz likes this.
  11. Light Cleric

Light Cleric ElCee/LC/El Cid

Given his still-lingering obsession with Hillary I can only assume this is what Trump saw eclipsing the sun when he looked up:

Spoiler :

(yes the New York Times actually printed that a few years ago)

Pokurcz likes this.
  12. El_Machinae

Notice how Trump didn't get nice suits until the taxpayer was fully paying for them, instead of merely subsidizing them?
    And now see what happens once he's gotten his sweet, sweet government-funded eyecare.
    What's next? Blowing his secret service budget by making them pay to be at his resorts?

13. Broken_Erika

Broken_Erika Nothing

14. Ryika

Ryika Lazy Wannabe Artista

It's not at all a stupid thing to do, it's a perfectly fine thing to do, if you actually just do it for a moment or two. In fact, I would encourage people to stare at an eclipse for that amount of time if they ever get the chance to, just so they can say they saw it directly, without the filter of the glasses, as again, there's nothing that suggests it would cause more harm than just looking at the sun for that brief moment.

If the experts didn't manage to get that difference across in America, then it's a failure on their part (or maybe just them overvaluing caution over getting accurate information out). In that case, knowing that the instructions were bs to begin with and ignoring them is perfectly fine. Trump did not do anything that wasn't within the realm of things that were perfectly reasonable to do. Whether he knew that what he's doing is not dangerous or not, that's of course a different story, but I don't see that being discussed in the media. All I see is "Here's a picture of Trump looking at the sun, what an idiot!", which just shows either them being uninformed themselves (which really makes them be the ones who look stupid), or malice as they're using the fact that their audience is misinformed to spread even more misinformation.

Mechanicalsalvation likes this.
  15. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

I'm sorry but you'll never convince me that looking directly at the sun for a couple seconds is a good idea. Just don't do it, there's a lot of risk and 0 reward. It's like cracking jokes to the TSA agents at the airport.

Pokurcz and shadowplay like this.
  16. Cutlass

Cutlass The Man Who Wasn't There.

The fun part is that Trump's inner circle within the White House think that Trump is unfit to be president.

White House aide: ‘You have no idea how much crazy stuff we kill’
    08/21/17 10:00 AM

By Steve Benen

17. Ferocitus

Ferocitus Deity

Did somebody just inject Trump with a drug that made him speak at length coherently?
    I don't agree with a lot of what he said, but it was a speech made with complete
    sentences, and without straying off into the size of his inauguration crowd.

18. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

Trump has nice suits?

19. El_Machinae

20. Ferocitus

Ferocitus Deity

It didn't look like he was reading from a teleprompter though.
    He did stare at the eclipse without eye protection yesterday, so
    maybe it fried the bad chemicals and acted like a decoherent.
    Or just another one of those lizard people switcheroos.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.