Is Trump mentally unfit for the presidency to the point that he ought be removed from office?

Is Trump mentally unfit for the presidency to the point that he ought be removed from office?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
She did after getting tenure... before that she needed and used her Indian identity
She was offered tenure in 1993, but declined.
The offer remained open until she accepted it in 1995.
She didn't discover that Harvard was mis-reporting her until 1996.
There is no indication ethnicity had any bearing on her being grated tenure. More likely:

She has won teaching awards at multiple schools, and graduating classes at Harvard twice recognized her with the Sacks-Freund Award for excellence in teaching. National Law Journal named her one of the Most Influential Lawyers of the Decade, TIME magazine has named her one of the 100 most influential people in the world three times, and she has been honored by the Massachusetts Women's Bar Association with the Lelia J. Robinson Award. Senator Warren was elected to the American Law Institute, and later to the Council of ALI where she served as Vice President of the Institute. She also was elected to the National Bankruptcy Conference, the American Academy of Arts and Sciences, and as a Theodore Roosevelt Fellow of the American Academy of Political and Social Science.

Doesn't matter, our senile president blasted a bunch of obscenities about her on twitter so she's basically Pocahitler.

Surely no one is expecting such facts to derail the right wing echo chamber's attacks on her.

Dont lump them into one blob, that rubs people the wrong way
Is it any less of a "blob" to refer to them as Native Americans" than it is to refer to them as "Indians" (which I've noticed you do).

There's a right-wing federal Canadian politician who became very confused about the Indians in North America and the Indians who live in India, and made a laughing stock of himself (more than usual) for sending a message of congratulations to the wrong people for some sort of achievement which I don't recall.

The people who received the congratulations reacted with a "Huh? What are you talking about?" while everyone else realized once again that we had federal politicians who don't know how to read a map.

Dont you think thats rather interesting? Harvard's first Indian professor with tenure and she stops being an Indian.
Now who's "lumping them all together as a blob"?

Dont you think thats rather interesting? Harvard's first Indian professor with tenure and she stops being an Indian.

It's not interesting at all, actually. It's nothing more than a shortcut for the intellectually lazy, the dishonest, and idiots to attack someone they know absolutely nothing about.

Is it any less of a "blob" to refer to them as Native Americans" than it is to refer to them as "Indians" (which I've noticed you do).

No, that was my point... Traitor Fish said lumping native americans into one blob called "Injuns" was offensive... He seems to be under the impression "Indians" is a derogatory term but apparently its okay to lump them into one blob called native americans. I imagine a few Indians might object to being called americans, 'we' didn't treat them too well. I'd say both them and black people have good reason for not standing for the anthem or flag. Course they dont all agree on that either, I guess that depends some on how much pain their ancestors suffered... The Navajo and Hopi were spared the worst because nobody wanted their land enough to kill them off and take it.

Now who's "lumping them all together as a blob"?

I've been doing it all along (except when specifically discussing the Cherokee), TF complained - he said it rubbed people the wrong way. You should direct your first question to him. ;)

Dont call them Indians because thats offensive, call them Native Americans instead. Well, who slaughtered the Indians? Oh yeah, the Americans. Thats even worse than naming slaves after their owners. Some dont mind, some do... If I was Indian I might not feel so honored being named after the genocidal maniacs who killed my people. I'd prefer my tribal or clan name, but like you said, that becomes impractical when discussing a large group of people encompassing a continent.

"I abhor the term Native American" - Lakota activist Russell Means

Hey Traitor Fish, does lumping Indians into one blob called Native Americans rub anyone the wrong way?

It's not interesting at all, actually. It's nothing more than a shortcut for the intellectually lazy, the dishonest, and idiots to attack someone they know absolutely nothing about.

We know she has no Cherokee ancestors going back ~200 years or more. So contrary to what Zkribbler and TF argued, we do have documentation and its far older than Ellis Island.

She was offered tenure in 1993, but declined.
The offer remained open until she accepted it in 1995. She didn't discover that Harvard was mis-reporting her until 1996. There is no indication ethnicity had any bearing on her being grated tenure.

Well, who told Harvard she had Cherokee blood? How did they 'mis-report' her ancestry if she wasn't telling them about it? And you're wrong, Harvard presented her as their first minority (Indian) tenured professor, but she didn't know they did that until a year after her tenure? Looks like she dropped her Cherokee roots once she didn't need them.

She has won teaching awards at multiple schools.....<...>

And she dropped her Indian heritage after getting tenure. So instead of an Indian getting tenure, she cut in line and stole it from someone else. Now the only reason I'd give her a partial pass is if she actually believed she was Indian and found out she isn't a year after tenure, but her reason for believing that is unreasonable... Or I should say, its unreasonable to advance a career by claiming Indian ancestry based on having high cheek bones. I'm sure if she was ethical and only found out she wasn't Indian later she would have explained her mistake and told Harvard to honor the next minority with being the first tenured. Did she? Obviously she didn't resign, did she even offer to resign? They probably just swept it under the rug.

Based on what I told you: that it cavalierly flattens the richness and complexity of a culture to invoke it synecdochally by a single member of that group, even a revered member.

Pocahontas is unqualified to represent Indians? That was Trump's intent? No, his intent was to mock a white senator who spent years masquerading as an Indian.

Call your South Asian friend Ghandi for a month. Call your Irish friend St. Patrick for a month. Report back how they take it.

But he aint South Asian or Irish, he (she) lied about that to advance his career. I'm mostly Irish, if someone was pretending to be Irish and they got called on it with "look at St Patrick" I wouldn't be offended by St Patrick representing the Irish. Well, I like snakes so he wouldn't have my vote but I dont know who I'd replace him with, so... ;)

You're making my point, you're nominating great people to represent larger groups. Thats what Trump did. When did sarcasm leave this forum? This thread is filled with it, but you guys dont understand sarcasm when its directed at Warren? If some guy claiming to be South Asian cuts in line and somebody says, 'hey, look at Ghandi jumping in line', he's not demeaning South Asians, he's exposing the outsider's sneaky attempt to become one.

It doesn't have to be to stir up hatred of the group. It simply is, in itself, belittling.

He's belittling Warren, not Pocahontas. Its a sarcastic comment directed at frauds trying to sneak in, it is not a commentary on the victims. And the notion its racist is illogical, the fraud is not one of the victims. She isn't Indian.

I'll refer back to Lawrence O'Donnell's analogy: calling a basketball player Michael Jordan should reasonably be taken as a compliment. Right? Well, not really. I mean it would be if the comparison was sincere. But there's only one Michael Jordan so a sincere comparison would indeed be quite a compliment, one to take pride in. I sure would...

But usually calling a basketball player Michael Jordan is meant sarcastically. Look at that guy, he thinks he's Michael Jordan. That aint an insult to Jordan, its placing him at the pinnacle of greatness - the representative of a very large group of people. It doesn't inspire racism against black people, even racists understand Michael Jordan represents the best in basketball.

We know she has no Cherokee ancestors going back ~200 years or more. So contrary to what Zkribbler and TF argued, we do have documentation and its far older than Ellis Island.

Who cares? What relevance does this have to anything?

LOL...who's this "we," white man? Most people don't have a reliable genealogy for themselves going back more than three or four generations. Yet you claim to have a reliable genealogy for someone you've never even met going back 200 years.

Once again, the credibility of your sources in the right wing echo chambers is ZERO, so dragging that crap in here and dropping it on the carpet is extremely rude.

Yeah, in all fairness, I was told many things about my genealogy that proved not to be quite true when I did my own research. It was close but there were some definite differences once I got back as little as 4 generations.

Ever notice how every single person of Scottish ancestry is descended from William Wallace?

And some that aren't even Scottish. :D

Ever notice how every single person of Scottish ancestry is descended from William Wallace?
I'm not (to my knowledge). I'm descended from Rob Roy. :p

I'm pretty sure William Wallace wanted nothing to do with my ancestors. Supposedly they were considered crazy even by highlander standards...:mischief:

Hey Traitor Fish, does lumping Indians into one blob called Native Americans rub anyone the wrong way?
It can do, yes. "Native Americans" conventionally refers only to the indigenous peoples of continental North America, while "Indian" stretches from Tierra del Fuego to Labrador, excluding only the Inuit and Yupik peoples of Alaska and Northern Canada, who have traditionally identified as their own, set-apart thing. Native peoples in other countries will have other identifies, the most immediate example being the use of "First Nations" in Canada.

Calling a Cree or a Nahuatl "Native American", as if it was simply synonymous with "Indian", while it probably wouldn't be construed as offensive, would be taken as indication of a certain degree of cultural ignorance.

In response to Prime Minister May's response to trump's retweet of terrorist videos, The Donald tweeted to the wrong Theresa May. He went after a housewife from Bognor who has six followers. You'd think that with all the resources available at his beck and call he could get the PM twitter handle right.

Hey now, he isn't Johnson. He doesn't call his aids into the room when he's literally poop-posting.

Maybe he should start....

Who cares? What relevance does this have to anything?

I imagine the Indian or other minority who didn't get into Harvard much less a tenured professorship would care. Warren stole their spot!

LOL...who's this "we," white man?

You're Indian? I thought you were a white man and Warren's a white woman with a long line of white ancestors, why is race relevant? The New England Genealogical Society, the people who tracked down her family's records, I assume with her help. Or maybe not, maybe she wouldn't be too thrilled if someone was actually investigating her ancestry.

But the thing is, they did that in 2012 as she ran for the senate. If she had corrected the record way back before or shortly after tenure, she would have acknowledged her mistake more than a decade earlier and it wouldn't have mattered. That suggests she didn't drop her Cherokee heritage a year after tenure. Anyway, I dont condemn her for an honest mistake but I dont have a dog in this fight, I liked Warren more than Trump but I'm not so attached to either I cant see her for what she is, just another lying demagogue - they go together like bookends.

Most people don't have a reliable genealogy for themselves going back more than three or four generations. Yet you claim to have a reliable genealogy for someone you've never even met going back 200 years.

I dont have the records, experts who track down family histories looked at the records. They're the ones claiming she has no Indian ancestor going back long before the Trail of Tears. Thats over 200 years... I assume that means they found no ancestor at all who was Cherokee. I'm not sure but I think the article I linked gave her explanation - family lore and high cheek bones. The author called the latter a racial stereotype... She screwed up, bad... And thats if she aint lying. This will hurt her if she runs for Prez, she's the poster child for white privilege.

Once again, the credibility of your sources in the right wing echo chambers is ZERO, so dragging that crap in here and dropping it on the carpet is extremely rude.

Welcome back :)

But thinkprogress and Trevor Noah are right wing sources?

It can do, yes.

Not "it can"... Does.

"I abhor the term Native American" - Lakota activist Russell Means

"Native Americans" conventionally refers only to the indigenous peoples of continental North America, while "Indian" stretches from Tierra del Fuego to Labrador, excluding only the Inuit and Yupik peoples of Alaska and Northern Canada, who have traditionally identified as their own, set-apart thing. Native peoples in other countries will have other identifies, the most immediate example being the use of "First Nations" in Canada.

Calling a Cree or a Nahuatl "Native American", as if it was simply synonymous with "Indian", while it probably wouldn't be construed as offensive, would be taken as indication of a certain degree of cultural ignorance.

Yeah, that aint why Russell Means finds "Native American" abhorent. Now, why do you advise me (us) to use native american instead of Indian? Well, consider why Russell Means finds your preference abhorent. Would you call a Jew, Nazi? What Americans did to the Indians was Nazi-esque. Okay, would you settle for really really bad, evil? You get the point. Dont call Russell Means a native american. Now whats so upsetting about Indian? Some guy got lost and thought he found India?

No thanks, Indian is just fine with me... But you think about Russell Means the next time you lecture anyone about rubbing people the wrong way... So what are you going to do? I mean, what name will use to identify Indians now that you know how people feel about being called Native American?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom