Is Trump mentally unfit for the presidency to the point that he ought be removed from office?

Is Trump mentally unfit for the presidency to the point that he ought be removed from office?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, he is mentally unfit for the presidency, but no, not to the point that he should be removed from office . . . yet.

I think our Constitution rightly creates a mechanism for removal not at the first sign of incompetence, but only once incompetence is utterly undeniable.

Trump has reached the first of those markers, but not the second, yet.

I agree except for the "pretend" part. What had me puzzled was your use of the word "still."

I could've sworn I read an article about it recently, but I guess I misremembered. My bad for posting without double checking.

Soon I guess we are going to find out that Trump likes golden showers. That might not make him unfit to be president, but he should have to pay for laundering his bed linens himself.

I actually voted for Clinton thinking Trump was unfit for office. I was proven wrong. Trump hasn't blown us all up yet like the TV campaign ads said he would, and Trump has surprised me. He hasn't started a war like I though he would.

I may actually vote for Trump next election. I'm beginning to see the bias on CNN. They trashed Romney last election for no good reason other than he was a Republican. I realize now he was a good man, but CNN painted him as incompetent. I do not trust CNN anymore (though I still watch it as I can't stand Fox news).

True, he's accomplishing nothing in office, and I'm perfectly fine with that. The less the government does, the better. It's why I vote Democrat for President and Republican for senate/house.

Trump did not need to spend decades, which speaks volumes for his efficiency and analytical skills to bring forth a coalition very quickly. In fairness, he is living in a time with far more technological achievements than Ceasar. Ceasar did not get to have his words broadcasted on television throughout the Roman Empire. There was no internet, for example. If such things existed back then (but everything else was the same) there's no telling what would have happened. My estimation is it wouldn't have taken Ceasar nearly as long.
Well, firstly, I don't think that's sound reasoning. If somebody claims to have achieved something in a far shorter stretch of time than precedent would allow for, the properly sceptical response is to interrogate their claims, not to attribute to them super-human abilities. And, indeed, Trump's slapdash coalition hasn't made it past his first year in office, while Caesar's, in some form or another, outlived him by a century.

But, secondly and more importantly, it's really not a question of skill or technology. Robust alliances aren't just about a coincidence of belief or interest. They're build on established gave-and-take. Caesar's patronage network worked because it was based on well-established and well-tested relationships, its participants had spent decades deriving tangible benefits from it, decades of satisfied expectations. The network was proven to work. Trump's coalition is people who, at their most optimistic, imagine they can put aside their enormous differences for the sake of the country, and at their most cynical, that they could take all the other guys for suckers. There's no proof of concept, there, Trump left that until he actually took over the administration, and it's almost immediately fallen to pieces. Trump talks about a movement, but he's put absolutely zero effort into movement-building.

True, he's accomplishing nothing in office, and I'm perfectly fine with that. The less the government does, the better. It's why I vote Democrat for President and Republican for senate/house.
"President Trump has signed an executive order revoking federal flood-risk standards that incorporated rising sea levels predicted by climate science."
This means that any infrastructure spending will be invested using incomplete data. The most expensive wing (other than trade barriers) of his campaign is knowingly not including climate science in the name of 'getting things done faster.'

Remember, he's hoping to coast on short-term gains. Spending your money badly doesn't affect him, not on his time horizons.

He pulled out of the Paris Agreement, which really means a lot more once we find out that he sacked his scientific advisory committee on climate change.

He failed to propose a healthcare bill, as per his campaign promise. He also chose to not understand the bill that he ended up trying to sell to the American people.

He's not built up any credibility with the people, and so will not be able to helm any national security crisis.

I actually voted for Clinton thinking Trump was unfit for office. I was proven wrong. Trump hasn't blown us all up yet like the TV campaign ads said he would, and Trump has surprised me. He hasn't started a war like I though he would.

In modern society, mental illness tends to be viewed as akin to a criminal record; the summation of behaviors and thoughts believed to be not fit for society in general. That is not to say psychiatric/psychotherapeutic treatment cannot help solve direct psychological issues of people and learn to camouflage or - if necessary - repress such behaviors and thoughts thought to be part of what is called a mental disorder, though these are more like patchworks intended for those who willingly turn themselves into it (like myself for instance). If you are forcibly moved into psychiatric care, you are to be treated as worse than a criminal.

Donald Trump cannot be mentally ill, not even in theory, because his behaviors and thoughts are normative for U.S. society in general, along with Hillary Clinton and previous candidates and presidents. Their positions in U.S. society largely inoculates them from severe mental suffering requiring the attention of psychiatrist either. This is something socially unconscious psychiatrists usually tend to ignore even though they are trained to detect environmental circumstances that are causing and excarbating mental problems as well. Trump doesn't have any of that and his misbehavior may very well be a result of being surrounded by senseless wealth, which psychiatrists often overlook as a problem, judging from a cursory but critical text analysis of the DSM-IV-TR. Brett Easton Ellis may have been on to something when he wrote American Psycho.

He pulled out of the Paris Agreement

Which is worthless because it doesn't do enough. We need to stop ALL emissions NOW. Anything less will still destroy the planet.

Even with Clinton, the planet would still be destroyed by global warming anyways. Don't kid yourself thinking the Paris agreement is enough. Global warming is inevitable at this point.

I don't kid myself on the Paris Agreement being insufficient, this is why the rest of my sentence also points out that he's not even going to give the situation any proper consideration.

But, no, we don't need to stop all emissions now. There's still buffer in the system. But it's like any buffer that you're consuming, you need to use a portion of the profits to wean off the buffer and to have alternatives created before you need them.

There's warming built into the current emissions, but we're not yet at the place where we're risking serious economic damage and inter-generational and international redistribution

Which is worthless because it doesn't do enough. We need to stop ALL emissions NOW. Anything less will still destroy the planet.

Even with Clinton, the planet would still be destroyed by global warming anyways. Don't kid yourself thinking the Paris agreement is enough. Global warming is inevitable at this point.
Paris is better than nothing.

Ostensibly, food could be net-neutral (or even net-negative). But in our current society, we spend about 10 calories of diesel for every calorie of food delivered.

People mock corn ethanol, where we're turning food into fuel. Corn ethanol actually almost ended up being net neutral, which is impressive even if it's a net waste. But when they say "turning food into fuel", remember that 10:1 ratio up there. We're currently turning fuel into food. Non-renewable fuel into food that gets consumed.

We put up with eight years of Obama. Now it's your turn for 4 years (I think he's too old to run for reelection in 2020, but who knows)

We put up with eight years of Obama. Now it's your turn for 4 years (I think he's too old to run for reelection in 2020, but who knows)

I'm curious what you were putting up with that was so difficult for you. I have some theories but they are not particularly kind.

Probably not what he was thinking about, but in retrospective, praising the Arab Spring while it turned into a Nuclear Winter might have been the most hilarious failure of Obama.

Every president has failures, I don't think Obama's failures are the same thing as "putting up with him for 8 years." The latter implies a constant irritant or bother of some kind. I'm curious what that irritant was.

Obama was okay, he just came off as weak and controlled by his wife (which isn't a bad thing, but it is a thing). You never really knew what he stood for. He was supposed to be about change, but he really didn't change anything. He was quite moderate.

Obama was okay, he just came off as weak and controlled by his wife (which isn't a bad thing, but it is a thing). You never really knew what he stood for. He was supposed to be about change, but he really didn't change anything. He was quite moderate.
I'm still pissed that Michelle is too smart to run.

I don't kid myself on the Paris Agreement being insufficient...

Good! It's also important not to kid yourself that there will be a whole-hearted attempt
by many corporations and countries to conform to the agreement. :)
VW's cheating was just one of many attempts to circumvent targets and regulations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom