Is Trump the 2nd Truman?

tuckerkao

King
Donald J. Trump and Harry S. Truman shared so many unique similarities within their political characters and clever paths dominating the world.

Truman managed an unbelievable presidential victory despite all the news and polls suggested Dewey was already the winner -
http://blog.archive.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/dewey.jpg

Trump was projected by most of the professional analysis that he was behind Clinton in the national popularities. Wisconsin, Michigan and Pennsylvania flipped their electorates at the very last minute.

Both Trump and Truman have/had rigid diplomatic policies with many war events surrounding the globes.

Both Guam Territories and Pearl Harbor are/were the heavy U.S. military bases locating in the Pacific regions.

Truman made his final decision with the fire and fury by launching the strongest weapons on the top Asian enemy(Japan) in 1945.

What will Trump follow?

Donald J. Trump and Harry S. Truman shared so many unique similarities within their political characters and clever paths dominating the world.

Truman managed an unbelievable presidential victory despite all the news and polls suggested Dewey was already the winner -
http://blog.archive.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/dewey.jpg

Trump was projected by most of the professional analysis that he was behind Clinton in the national popularities. Wisconsin, Michigan and Pennsylvania flipped their electorates at the very last minute.

Both Trump and Truman have/had rigid diplomatic policies with many war events surrounding the globes.

Both Guam Territories and Pearl Harbor are/were the heavy U.S. military bases locating in the Pacific regions.

Truman made his final decision with the fire and fury by launching the strongest weapons on the top Asian enemy(Japan) in 1945.

What will Trump follow?

I just think that on the "Captain Kirk period" (Shoot first, ask later) during the cold war followed the "Captain Picard period" (Let's talk about it, Mr. Wesley Crusher) which lasted until about ~2001 & now we have a renaissance of the "Captain Kirk period" :)

The Truman Committee was known for rooting out corruption. Trump is stocking the swamp with Wall St. denizens..
Truman was celebrated for telling the truth. Trump can't put two words together without at least one of them being a lie.
Truman hated the Klan. Trump thinks the Klan is made up of "some really fine people."
Truman desegregated the military. Trump despises racial minorities.
Truman served in wartime. Trump begged off with a paid-for doctor's note.
Truman was faithful to his wife. Trump is a serial adulterer and sexual harasser.
Truman excised regularly. Trump's belly could qualify for its own zip code.
The Truman Doctrine called for global alliances to contain Russia until communism collapsed. Trump insults our allies, bows out of global treaties, and admires Putin.
Truman lived frugally. Trump stocks his palatial estates with a fake Renoir, a fake Time magazine cover, and, paid-for by his charity, portraits of himself.
Truman set-up the GI Bill to provide free college to returning vets. Trump set up Trump University to rob those gullible enough to enroll.
Truman rescued Europe with the Marshall Plan. Trump threw rolls of paper towels at Puerto Rico and gave himself 10 out of 10.

Truman had a sign on his desk: "The buck stops here." Trump's sign is: "It's not my fault."

Last edited:
Truman is almost the opposite of Trump in virtually every respect. I mean I really dislike Truman for dropping the bombs and destroying North Korea but what are you gonna do.

Not in any meaningful sense.
I mean, Truman had famously poor relations with European leaders because he disliked their elitism, while His Trumpiness engages in orb-touching with Kings.

I mean at this point I almost wish he were a second Nixon. Nixon got a few things right at least like opening relations with China, the EPA, etc.

I cannot point to a single positive thing Trump has done. Even his tax cuts will in effect be a massive tax hike for people in many states that are not super wealthy thanks to the Republicans taking away the state and local tax write off. Even people in low tax states will get hardly anything if they are not in the 1%.

I mean at this point I almost wish he were a second Nixon. Nixon got a few things right at least like opening relations with China, the EPA, etc.

I cannot point to a single positive thing Trump has done. Even his tax cuts will in effect be a massive tax hike for people in many states that are not super wealthy thanks to the Republicans taking away the state and local tax write off. Even people in low tax states will get hardly anything if they are not in the 1%.

It's never going to pass then, first most republicans do not support any tax increases on the middle class, and second there is no way dems from CA and NY will let a bill pass that stops them from writing off state taxes and I believe they still need the dems in the senate to get it through. I know they pass the budget with reconciliation but can they do the same with taxes?

But yes truman was a very good and underrated president. FDR gets most of the credit for WWII when truman finished it and really got us into the booming 50s.

It's never going to pass then, first most republicans do not support any tax increases on the middle class, and second there is no way dems from CA and NY will let a bill pass that stops them from writing off state taxes and I believe they still need the dems in the senate to get it through. I know they pass the budget with reconciliation but can they do the same with taxes?
I'm not sure the exact mechanism but yes they can pass this with just 50%+1. In fact just yesterday the House did in fact pass a procedural vote to do exactly this.

Dems in CA and NY don't have enough sway in the legislature to stop this. There are a few republicans from affected states who are grumbling but it's not clear they will be able to stop this. I would like to think that the current crop of Republicans are too incompetent to pull this off (see Obamacare) but I think they will. They are already making bold-face lies about the tax cuts to cover their own butts and people are in general too uninformed and or stupid to actually look into this and then follow up by calling their representatives.

It's awful how the Republican leadership can come out and tell direct, verifiable lies about this (Rich people won't get a tax cut; This is a middle class tax cut; Taxes won't be raised for anyone by this; This won't increase the deficit) and people actually believe it.

Also, your very first sentence is incorrect. This is going to increase taxes for millions of poor and middle class people across the country but the majority of Republicans know this and are already on board with it. It's probably time to give up on the fantasy that Republicans care about anyone other than the rich when it comes to tax cuts. They'll only do enough to help poor/middle class people to the extent that they actually have to in order to meet their agenda of bolstering the 1% and they are willing and able to just straight up lie about what they are doing.

But Nixon's mass murder in SE Asia is still worse than everything Trump's done combined. I keep hammering home this point because liberals are getting all starry-eyed about George W Bush now, and I have to remind them that he was ultimately responsible for the deaths of well over a million people. Trump hasn't done anything remotely as bad as that.....yet.

That ....yet qualification is really important. We're less than a year into his Presidency and he's grossly incompetent to the point where I legitimately worry about WWIII kicking off because of a tweet.

This is not a position we should be in as a country.

I know. I can't even think about that because I just don't have the headspace for it with everything else going on. I'm pretty sure if DC gets hit with a MIRV I'm in the instant-vaporization zone so :thumbsup:

But Nixon's mass murder in SE Asia is still worse than everything Trump's done combined. I keep hammering home this point because liberals are getting all starry-eyed about George W Bush now, and I have to remind them that he was ultimately responsible for the deaths of well over a million people. Trump hasn't done anything remotely as bad as that.....yet.

The thing I think you are missing is that, yes Nixon and GW Bush did horrible things as president. But what they did not do is put the American people or the American nation in jeopardy. Trump may not have killed a huge number of people. Yet. But he has placed the American people in danger like no president before him. And people are scared. Nixon and Bush were dangers to others. Trump is a danger to us.

I'm with Lexi. I mean, Reagan literally nearly caused WWIII with his attempts to take the Cold War hot and the near-nuclear debacle of Able Archer.

Top Bottom