1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Is Trump's golf-swing hitting Hillary GIF sexist?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Narz, Sep 18, 2017.

1. Narz

Narz keeping it real

For anyone unfamiliar Trump posted an edited GIF of him supposedly hitting Clinton with a golf ball. Pretty childish crap and would've shocked anyone even 5 years ago to think a sitting president could post something so lowbrow & immature.

I read that someone in the government (a senator I think) called it sexist. I don't understand that criticism. Trump has shown himself to be an equal opportunity a-hole. No one claimed he was misandronistic (or anti-corporation) for beating up a male figure with a CNN head.

I think Trump's critics harm themselves by taking a dumb thing Trump's done & extrapolating on it, imbuing it with all sorts of subtle meaning. I find this unnecessary and gives his defenders something to latch onto.

The stuff he does and says is incompetent/immoral enough without having to add meaning that isn't there.

Thoughts?

2. Archon_Wing

Archon_Wing Vote for me or die

As a golf club, I find it highly clubist.

And yes, it is noise. The truly sexist ones are the ones that bring it to the discussion regardless.

3. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

I mean, that's not accurate at all, he's shown himself to be pretty sympathetic to white men, and a bag full of bigotry to everyone else.

inthesomeday likes this.
  4. Narz

Narz keeping it real

I haven't looked at the stats but I'd wager that most of his twitter insults have been towards white men (outside of Obama & Hillary). I don't think he's sympathetic towards anyone who isn't him or pandering to him (and often not even to them).

5. Vincour

Vincour Moderator Moderator

He's plainly demonstrated his opinion of specifically women, if you remember his candid locker room talk and how his healthcare system contributions have thus far explicitly included slashing support for women. This is not hugely out of the norm for those in the Republican party, though.

I vaguely agree that calling it sexist is pointless. That's mostly because I don't think it matters who the target was. The premise of the 'opinion' itself is bankrupt of professionalism and is certainly not something a high-level politician should be involving themselves with.

6. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

Trump is sexist. He's shown that over and over. This particular action, however, is an expression of violence. It doesn't matter that he really didn't hit her. He's expressing that he wants to do this, and so I put it in the same category as the disgusting cretins who advocate violence toward Rachel Notley (the premier of my province). Someone actually did put a picture of her up on a golf course, with the intention that people should hit it (and by association commit violence against the premier).

Of course I'm not sure if Trump has actually advocated killing Hillary Clinton, the way some people here have advocated killing Rachel Notley.

7. Perfection

Perfection The Great Head.

By posting that gif Trump demonstrates that he neither understands nor respects why 65 million Americans voted for her. That's a problem.

8. Manfred Belheim

Manfred Belheim Chieftain

Maybe he thinks the people that voted for her are just deplorable.

Valessa and Bamspeedy like this.
  9. metatron

metatron deplorable ally

I think this is roughly on the right path, in that the problem is not so much the gif - we can easily see that by cutting out the two of them and replacing them with other politicians. It's crass but in itself not sexist.
    The problem here is Trump and his well-established sexism. The thing becomes sexist by virtue of having him in it as the assaulting party.

10. Arent11

Arent11 Chieftain

Contrary to the actually childish hate of various hollywood actors that feel personally injured by a large part of americans not voting as they tell them, Trumps "beating up CNN" video & "golf ball hitting Hillary" is, in fact, funny. It's not "presidential", it's not what a high and mighty "Elder Statesmen" would do, but it is funny.

Mechanicalsalvation likes this.
  11. Ziggy Stardust

Ziggy Stardust New Englander

Didn't Trump establish his sexism in a bus during the campaign?

Anyway, that gif isn't sexist, because the gender of those involved is irrelevant.

warpus and Mechanicalsalvation like this.
  12. Mechanicalsalvation

Mechanicalsalvation Thraldom dictator

Maybe they voted for her becouse they are deplorables and what he demonstrates is a sense of humor?

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
  13. Valessa

Valessa ate all of your cookies!

So is the gif sexist or not? You completely avoided the question to ramble about random nonsense.

@topic:
    No, obviously it's not sexist, but it's not surprising that some would call it sexist, because some people are just unable to differentiate between "he did this to his opponent because she's a woman" (sexist) an "he did this to this woman because she's his opponent" (not sexist). So that's just what you have to expect from people, most of the "normal people" out there are just stupid, or accept a premise without ever thinking about it and realizing that it doesn't make sense.

According to CNN, a man who says he likes boobs is sexist. Even though literally everybody aside from crazy cat ladies likes boobs. Including heterosexual women and babies.

14. Lexicus

Lexicus Warlord

One could argue that using an image of violence against women for laughs is, in a way, sexist. But I'm not going to waste my time dying on that hill.

stinkubus and inthesomeday like this.
  15. Mechanicalsalvation

One could argue that anything involving women is inherently sexist but that would rather be a psychiatrist diagnosis of the one trying to make that point then an argument.

16. metatron

metatron deplorable ally

No see, what i am arguing (and Valka too, if i understand her correctly) is the following:
    Yes, at face value the gif is not sexist.
    However Trump has so firmly wrapped himself in certain bullying sexist ways that are part of his generally bullying approach to everything, that he has lost the privilege of us viewing it that way.
    His intent matters (even while he didn't make the gif, which is besides the point).

Let me give you another example, that may serve to, maybe, at least convince Valessa:
    During the primaries the editorial staff of Ms Magazine and even Ms. Steinem herself repeatedly garnered attention with all sorts of remarks about Senator Sanders and his supporters, up to and including publicly wishing for Senator Sanders' death.
    These remarks were sexist. Not by their nature, but due to the habitual sexism of the editorial staff of Ms. Magazine.
    They weren't just playing rough politics. What they meant matters.
    The same applies here.

Valka D'Ur likes this.
  17. Valessa

Valessa ate all of your cookies!

Yes, and that all might be true, but then you're still arguing that he's a sexist who likes the gif for sexist reasons, it does not make the gif sexist. I mean you can even argue that he likes the gif because it shows a man being violent towards a woman, and while I would disagree with that conclusion and point towards the fact that she was his political opponent as the more likely conclusion, but the argument itself would be sound. It just wouldn't - in my opinion at least - be the argument that best explains the factors involved.

Certain media outlets however have been arguing that the gif itself is sexist, Valka has entirely ignored that part of the conversation and instead went directly to discrediting Trump which does not even address the core question, and you've sort of argued for the same. But none of that makes it sexist, the gif stands on its own, and showing a man punching a woman is not in any way sexist, unless it is made clear that he punches her because she is a woman, and then on top of that, the gif celebrates that he does it.

Trump sharing a gif does not change anything about whether the gif itself is sexist or not, at best you can ask if the act of sharing it was sexist, which is a different discussion - one that would lead me to conclude that it's again better explained by them being political opponents in my opinion.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
  18. Perfection

Perfection The Great Head.

I voted for Clinton. You calling me deplorable? Or do you think that maybe I had some reasons for my actions?

19. metatron

metatron deplorable ally

No, no, i am presuming that the creator shares Trump's mindset and i argue that the gif is sexist because it comes from that mindset.
    That's subjective. Of course. And judging speech by the speaker should come with a very high burden, standard, whatever.
    In my view such a threshold is passed in this case.
    Showing a man punching a woman is not sexist.
    Showing a sexist punch someone of a different gender is.
    Haven't followed the coverage. I'm sure it's gross and in some instances sexist in its own right.
    But, yeah, even while they are... well, them, i'm inclined to let them have this one.

20. Mechanicalsalvation

What happened to the sense of humor? To loose it is deplorable...