Is unit maintenance cost out of whack?

mattpilot

Warlord
In the military-info screen you can see how many units you have and what your total supply is. After about mid game, my unit supply is about 3-4 times as high as my actual unit count. Why? The thing thats not limiting my military is the unit supply but the maintenance cost. It seems on avg i pay anywhere from 5-10gpt per unit.

You think resources are limiting your army? nope ... i got plenty of resources, just can't build an army cause it would bankrupt me. I got 80% of my cities specialized on gold and they are actively 'building gold' (what a waste).

Is this why the AI is such a pushover? They hardly have any units, even if they got a huge empire. Most of their units usually die within the first 5 turns... then you just clean up the 'empty' cities. Perhaps the AI, like me, can't afford additional units to set up a 'in-depth defense'?

Am i the only one who thinks unit-maintenance is excessive?

Yeah it is pretty messed up. It also doesn't seem to caclulate regularly. You can add / delete units and the value doesn't change and then suddenly it goes way up or way down. We need to be able to see exactly how much each individual unit costs on the military list screen.

Every other unit deleted seems to change the maintenance cost like only the even numbered units cost extra maintenance.

I agree, they need to itemize how much these things are costing. I enjoy the game a lot, but I find my army cost structure to be an absolute mystery. How much is this mech infantry going to cost to maintain? No idea your excellency, let's build it and find out if it bankrupts us.

I agree, they need to itemize how much these things are costing. I enjoy the game a lot, but I find my army cost structure to be an absolute mystery. How much is this mech infantry going to cost to maintain? No idea your excellency, let's build it and find out if it bankrupts us.

Sounds like how the real US Military spends its money.

Top Bottom