Is Venice OP? [Poll]

Is Venice Overpowered?

• It's painfully weak. I get crushed everytime I play with Venice.

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • It's mediocre. Hard to win with them.

Votes: 12 14.1%
  • Average. No more powerful than any other civilization.

Votes: 55 64.7%
  • Overpowered.

Votes: 17 20.0%

• Total voters

MerchantCo

Merchant
I think it's balanced. What do you think? :)

I'd put them in the second tier behind Austria, Babylon, etc. But what makes them broken is their synergy with the diplomatic vc. If it required real diplomacy, they would be fine.

No, I don't think Venice is overpowered; I second nothanks's thought in that I think they're in the "good but not great" tier.

Average. Somewhat more map dependent than other civs, so a bit below average if you ask me.

Depends really, if they begin near the sea and nearby peaceful neighbors, the games a cakewalk with them. put them inland next to aggressive nations like the zulu's and they can get over-powered.

I think what give's their playing style the most distinct of advantages though is how distanced they generally begin from other players, it prevents them from being attacked, allowing them to build up to the point of power thats difficult to break without a war of attrition.

I guess it would also depend on the difficulty and whether they suite you're playing style or not, for aggressive players they'd be a mystery, for the builders and merchant lovers out there, they are very powerful

I wouldn't say OP. The trade routes are very powerful, but that power only really kicks in during the mid-game. Earlier, trade units are quite expensive and it can be difficult to protect so many routes.

I would consider them weak if Diplomatic Victory wasn't so easy.

Guide to beating Deity:
1. Play Venice
2. Don't spawn next to Shaka
3. Collect Diplomatic Victory

Voted mediocre, because they're too map dependant. The more coastal cities/etc able to give food to Venice you get the better, the more places to trade with the better. Starting near an overglorified lake-sea is heavily crippling.

Also Venice can get less cities before they drag your science down. What I mean is puppets generate less science, and there's a science penalty per city... That means your cities will much slow your science down much faster. Even worse if you consider that Venice benefits a lot from Commerce's finisher, which means Rationalism may not be taken till much later.

Also painful to see beatiful land with NW/great tiles you can't take, because you have no Settlers, and AI is usually too stupid to settle a city in the proper, perfect spot.

Write-in vote: Above average but not Overpowered.

It's clearly significantly better than the average civ; but it's not up there with the most powerful existing civs.

They are average IMO. The inability to annex or settle cities is balanced out by the extra gold from trade route and the ability to buy in puppets.

They do take some time to catch up with the other civs, but once your trade routes start working in full force, you are set.

I play a lot of OCC and Venice is one of my favorite civs.

They are pretty much tops for diplo VC, and are far less map dependent than most people think.

Pretty much all you have to do is tech up the science tree and enjoy city building. You just want to get into and past the industrial in a very timely manner. On most maps everyone loves you and you can get DoF's even when you do not share ideologies or when you are friends with some ones enemy. Just fill out tradition and commerce, run down freedom and take the world leader vote when a civ makes it to the info era.

Honestly, if you can prevent getting killed, it is almost impossible to lose the game.

Decent in single player, fun and different, but when playing against humans in Multiplayer, Venice is the worst civ in the game.

100% correct. Venice can not defend cargo ships vs human. And without cargo ships venice can do nothing.

Cant speak for vanilla, but Venice sucks so much in modded games.
Hell iam trying to keep there SuperCityState alive but they are just bad.
Even when other civs died and later returned to game, are better and with more points noticed then Venice.
Voted bad trait.

Voted average because if Venice don't want to be crushed when it's not ready, it cannot buy city states especially if its a friendly mercantile city state with 2 luxs i don't have. Enrico did that to me once, I took his capital in retaliation.

Top Bottom