Is Venitian Aresenal suppose to affect multiple cities?

Lucius_

King
Never built it before. My current game, it's effecting 3 cities. All 3 cities are popping out double naval units.

I built it in my current game... I haven't noticed a city it has not affected. Its pretty crazy! I went from having zero navy to having a swarm of battleships. Seems a bit OP to me!

I personally like that the Venetian Arsenal affects all of my cities :) Naval units are already rather time consuming to produce.

yes any city as long as you BUILD the unit you always get a free one.

I think the description doesn't say anything about being limited to just one city. So it should work for all cities and AFAIK it does work for all cities.

There's a terrain requirement on it that isn't spelled out in the description. You need some kind of V-shaped coastal formation, right?

There's a terrain requirement on it that isn't spelled out in the description. You need some kind of V-shaped coastal formation, right?

Not quite. You'll need to build it adjecent to an industrial zone

Interestingly, in the games I've played, I don't think I've seen the AI ever build it.

The Industrial Zone + Coast adjacency is pretty hard to appear, even in my hands

Why is that difficult?

Personally, I don't tend to build my industrial zones coastal that often, mostly because I tend to want to maximize their adjacency (ie. place it next to more mines), and also to maximize the reach for factories. So generally speaking, I'll place it more inland, next to hills, as opposed to being on the coast. I have had a coastal IZ a couple times (mostly when there's a bay that reaches further inland), however neither time did I really need to build it (the first time I built it more for fun to see what it did, but I think I only had time for one battleship from it before winning, and the second I was just killing time for my culture victory to set in, so I started building every wonder I could and happened to have an industrial zone setup correctly).

It does have the advantage that it's built on water, so it doesn't take up a valuable land tile, but to me, it comes late enough, hard enough to place, and it's too expensive, that it really isn't all that worthwhile most of the time. I mean, you need to get 3+ battleships for free from it, so it's rare that I would even need more than 6 battleships in a game, let alone build 6 fresh ones from that point onwards.

It affects all cities in your empire. You don't need a harbour or even a coastal city to build it, just as long as industrial zone is next to the coast. Unfortunately it doesn't act as a harbour itself (tried that idea on my last game)

Not quite. You'll need to build it adjecent to an industrial zone
I've had this wonder be unavailable in cities where a coastal industrial zone existed. The only times I've ever been able to build was when there was when there was a bay formation.

the industrial zone has to be right on the edge of the coast and a free space has to be available with no fish etc directly adjacent to the IZ in the water. i can build this practically every game.

The Industrial Zone + Coast adjacency is pretty hard to appear, even in my hands

I'm going out on a limb here and assume you play Pangaea. It is rare to have a coastal Industrial zone on Pangaea but it's not unfamiliar for Continents and pretty common on Archipelago.

I'm going out on a limb here and assume you play Pangaea. It is rare to have a coastal Industrial zone on Pangaea but it's not unfamiliar for Continents and pretty common on Archipelago.

Mostly Pangaea and Continents, yes. That's because of factory overlap, it makes more sense to build them more inland since it's where most of your cities are.

I can see it happening in Archipelago or Fractal, though. But then, you might be placing one in the coast just to build the Arsenal, since ships are invaluable in these maps.

Top Bottom