Is Victory by Score Unavoidably Punishing?

SCBrain

Chieftain
Ok, I wanted to add to my achievements by winning one game by score. I turned off all the other victory conditions, and the game is in hand. I have eliminated everyone else except the Russians, who are down to one tragic little iceball island city. I have all the world's wonders. I've never had such a high score in any game before.

It's turn #404. Everything has long since been researched. All the great people have been claimed. I am slowly converting the whole world to my religion just for something to do. The waiting time between turns is really long - much longer than when there were other civs. Every turn consists of restarting Holy Prayers or whatever for 20+ cities. In all, a turn takes about 2+ minutes, although there's nothing really to do.

At this rate it will take three or more hours of drudgery just to get to turn 500 and win by score. Is there some better way to do this?

iirc, pick Russia, set game turns limit to 1, disable all victory conditions except time, start the game, settle the city, press next turn and enjoy the ‘achievement’ :)

Ugh, Radar, I got to turn 411 and the last Russian city flipped to me. I won by conquest. I'll try it your way

Reduce the turn count. Not to 1 (that’s cheating!) but to something sensible like 200/300 depending on the challenge you want.

The default of 500 turns is ridiculous.

It’s funny what people want from a game. The “victory” is the least appealing thing about civ6. You get an arbitrary number based on factors you set prior to playing and in some part during play. I get ZERO satisfaction from that - give me the old replay map. THAT would make me actually finish a game.
The fun for me is the journey, not the destination. I dont care if I win or lose a game, as long as it was fun doing so. Shame it’s not fun in civ6.

iirc, pick Russia, set game turns limit to 1, disable all victory conditions except time, start the game, settle the city, press next turn and enjoy the ‘achievement’ :)
It took a couple of tries for me to get this to work. Don't know if it was because I didn't disable other victory types in my first two tries, or if I was just unlucky with some AI finding a hut or natural wonder, but on my third try I happened to luck out and find a natural wonder with my starting warrior after settling, and that won me the game. Thanx for the tip and finally giving me this stupid entry which was the last thing I was missing in the HoF.

It’s funny what people want from a game. The “victory” is the least appealing thing about civ6. You get an arbitrary number based on factors you set prior to playing and in some part during play. I get ZERO satisfaction from that - give me the old replay map. THAT would make me actually finish a game.
The fun for me is the journey, not the destination. I dont care if I win or lose a game, as long as it was fun doing so. Shame it’s not fun in civ6.

I don’t know that I’ve ever technically finished a game of Civ6. It’s usually apparent when you’ve hit the tipping point of being uncatcheable, and I don’t really see the point of playing Next Turn Simulator when I could start a new game instead

Top Bottom