Isabella and the Chamber of Secrets

Isabella and the Chamber Of Secrets, Inherited turn 1890AD

If memory serves me correctly, the last war turn I had in this game the original Barcelona stood, we were worried about whether we could survive into the middle ages and we were still fighting with swords and spears :eek: How things have changed :D In the mortal words of Fatboy Slim, we've come a long way, baby.

it took me about 45 minutes just to familiarize myself with where all our units are, and the war fronts we're fighting on. That survey, however, revealed that we are in good shape and helped me formulate my strategy for this turn. The sub-plan is that I intend to clear out the Celts using artillery backed by tanks and a few infantry to soak the damage. Their cities are metro's, however, and we will definitely need reinforcements on that island.

The major plan is for the main continent. I think our best bet is to defend on the Indian front, bomb and destroy their offence. In the meanwhile we can clear out the the other half of the continent. Once that is accomplished then we can switch all our forces to the main theatre and obliterate the Indian cities.

So I switched a few cities to airports to allow more airlifting every turn. Moved some troops around, backed up Dyessection (great name, Jack!), and prepared for the Indian assault. I noticed we had plenty of artillery that had not fired this turn, and I was able to use them to pillage loads of tiles, including disconnecting a number of India resources.

Finally, I started us on min science for stealth. I don't think this research will come to fruition, it is just 1 beaker towards a contingency plan We don't need stealth urgently (if at all), we can steal/trade the techs we want, but if this research does complete we will have a massive trade piece.

After an hour and a half :eek: time to press enter.

Early

It was quite enjoyable to see Indian and Korean battleships pound each other :D While we are threatening to destroy both of them they are squabbling between themselves. The Indians managed to pick off a few exposed units in interturns. The bad news is that I made a hash of the interturn between 1892 and 1894; in combination with some harsh combat results we lost a number of units to Celt cavalry and tanks and we lost 6 workers to Indian MA on the north tip of the continent (I overlooked the fact that MA with their 3 move can move over a hill and attack on the same turn).

The good news? Well, we had a kill ratio of at least 10 shields to 1. We were able to destroy Indian MA with hardly a loss on our turn, thanks to the stacks of artillery and the numerous armies. Uskudar was razed in 1892. 1894 was a superb year, as we razed Edrine, in the process destroying Universal Suffrage (a big wonder for the Indians at this stage of the game), killing 6 workers and capturing 2 artillery pieces. The bombing of Entremont began and troops were moved into position for an attack on Nottingham.

Such was our military success that I reckon we can acheive domination soonish. With a view to this I began mass production of settlers. The annoying this is that settlers can't be airlifted so they have to be shipped across or trained on the other continent.

Middle

Made a real mess of the interturn between 1896 and 1898, as I forgot to reinforce Alcana after moving troops towards Entremont. The Celts razed it :(. Because we have so many units and theatres of war it's very easy to forget to do things. Fortunately this was my second and last mistake of this set of turns.

The Celt war did not go so well, our artillery made little impact. I decided to rush a worker to build an airfield to allow reinforcements to be brought in, and the tide gradually turned there as we secured our holding and settled in for a long bout of bombardment.

Meanwhile, the war on the main continent progressed smoothly. It was clear that the Indians were just about gassed, they could only manage 4-5 MA a turn + a few infantry and tank stragglers. They were picked off easily as we made progress on the other side of the continent. 1898 was enjoyable, Iznik was razed (including Magellan's Voyage, another useful wonder at this stage of the game), Pusan was razed, and Nottingham was razed and replaced with New Murcia, netting us a seventh luxury, very nice as our military costs were really beginning to pinch, our income was going down by about 10gpt every turn. Out of interest I checked out F7...of all the wonders built in the game, only 8 survive!! We are responsible for razing over 10 wonders :lol: "Cultural philistines r us"

The interturn between 1898 and 1900 reminded us of how lethal MA could be on attack, as they killed 4 infantry fortified in New Murcia, our newly built city. That was just a tiny problem, however, they were picked off easily. After declining to hold UN elections in 1900AD ( :lol: ) I razed Warwick. 1902 AD brought a leader as a tank was victorious outside Pueblo. The massive Namp'o was also razed.

Reducing luxes to 40% and micromanaging after that made a huge difference to our income, which leaped up from around 60gpt to 256 gpt! :goodjob:

Late

Began to resettle the ex-Korean/Indian lands, many cities were founded (and there is still plenty more space as soon as we can produce the settlers). Entremont was finally razed in 1904 AD, Bursa suffered the same fate.

In 1906AD, the Koreans were eliminated as Ulsan was razed. We now have a war on only one front on that continent, and tons of troops. I immediately switched to that front and began the main offensive. Newcastle was razed in 1906 AD and Kafa added to the scrapheap in 1908AD. As I leave the game (possibly my last turn?) we are in a position to destroy Caterbury and rip into the heart of India. Our military superiority is overwhelming.

[On a side-note I had to remobilize in 1910AD...I thought mobilization only ended when you signed peace? Either there is a turn limit to mobilization or eliminating a civ acts as signing peace and ends mobilization. I'm not sure which is the case].

Notes

I'm not sure where to begin on my notes for Mad-Bax!! To start with, take plenty of time to familiarize yourself with troop positions. We have literally hundreds of units in action in different arenas. Your first turn will probably take you ages as you get to grips with everything, after that it will become smoother as you establish control over the situation.

The Indians are gassed, we rule the land, sea, and skies. They can only manage a trickle of 3-4 MA a turn, their freshly produced units (amazingly they are still in democracy!) The bombardment must be taking its toll as their cities are not growing and war weariness must be horrible. Our biggest limiting factor now is time...if we were not compelled by the variant to make peace in 5 turns we would win this game easily, if we could continue fighting we could eliminate the Indians in about 15-20 turns. We cannot, so we must make use of the remaining turns we have. As it happens, we have put so much hurt on the Indians that I now do not think they could launch in 30 turns, so we may get another bite as a last resort, although we should win by domination before that.

Settlers are the order of the day! I have every city on the attacking continent training settlers...you may even want to rush them when they accumulate the food to grow to size 3. I don't have mapstat but we must be close territory-wise, and fast settling now and when peace is declared will surely get us the land requirement...then it will just be a case of fulfilling the pop requirement ASAP. Once we end mobilization, a few temples to fill gaps might be handy, although I would just be inclined to use settlers to grab every tile of land we can.

In the interturn Melilla will be attacked by 3 MA...we have enough units to survive, and there are two or three tank armies healing in ex-Korean lands that can be used to destroy the MA on the counter. I have moved the artillery onto the attack front, as that is now the major aim.

As I hand over the game, the attack is positioned for Canterbury. When you open the save, you'll see there are two major SOds there, one on the hill ready for immediate attack next turn, and one moving up which can head for York once we control the rails after razing Canterbury. Oh, and when I say, "SOD", I mean "SOD" :D The stacks are huge, so have fun with them!

The Celts should not be much of a problem...I've cut off their oil and they are down to 3 cities, so they'll counter with a couple of cavalry a turn. I prioritized the main continent, but we should have enough troops to take out the remaining Celt cities in 5 turns. Since we don't really need troops on the main continent urgently, you could airlift newly-produced units onto the Celt continent if you need more troops to wipe them out (the airfield is just outside Pueblo...there are a number of airlift points on the Indian continent...the closest one to the action is outside New Murcia).

We have a number of destroyers and battleships around the Indian coast...I've been using them to bombard terrain and disconnect resources, keeping the Indian workers occupied (this has been a succesful tactic). I haven't seen an Indian ship in the last 5 turns, so we rule the seas. We have transports in Valladolid, the shortest crossing point. Just outside Valladolid is an empty army and a couple of artillery pieces, which you can ship across when you have a boatful.

Most importantly, Mad-Bax, I would urge you to be adventurous in the remaining turns...let's inflcit as much pain as we can. We have massive forces of troops (as you will see when you open the save), we can replace lost military very quickly, and even if we lose a few units that won't be so bad as we ente peace as our unit costs are huge. The units we don't want to lose are the artillery, and there are around 80 artillery in the stacks I mentioned, keep them protected at all times by infantry armies or 5-6 individual infantry. The tanks, however, let's use them to cut as far into India as we can in the remaining 5 turns of war. We are close to domination, and if we can raze and replace a few more cities we will surely cross the line.

The biggest limiting factor as we approach peace is gold. We have 2860 gold, + 230gpt...that should be enough for one careful steal before peace. Once we end the war our income will shoot. If it comes to a space race we will be able to outresearch the Indians, but as the Indians have not even started their Apollo Program, it may not get to that stage.

Finally enjoy yourself!! As Jack said, this game is a blast right now! Those turns took me around 7 hours, but they were more than worth it, that was probably the most enjoyable war turn I have ever had in Civ 3! It's modern war at its best, hundreds of units, tactics, logistics and the constraint of time. Have a good one...

In the screenshot below, the white circles are our SODs. The black circle is the 3 Indian MAs that will attack in the interturn.

The Save

Heck. I was just writing to someone that I wasn't UP in any SG's tonight, for the first time in about 3 months. Now it looks like I have the biggest turns of my life to play.

I can't believe how easily you two have handled the modern warfare. I :worship: you both.

I think I will study the position tonight, and play tomorrow.

[EDIT]
According to Mapstat we are 266 tiles from the tile limit with 296 unclaimed. We are 45 short of the pop limit.

If I can take out maybe 10 cities in my turns and rush some culture when war ends and join in a few workers Jack should be able to finish this off.

Unbelievable.

yay!!

That means we could probably win just by settling like crazy!! 45 pop is peanuts, bombardment will also reduce that.

Go guys!!!

Great going Nad ! My turns easily took 7 hours too, probably more like 8 or 9. AFAIK we have enough for a careful steal right now (the price was at 2500 or so last time I checked), so if we can grab Rocketry we'll be able to build MA too to accelerate the pace of our conquests during the last 5 turns. But that's a lot more progress than I had thought possible - even 4 MA a turn can be a real pain if you're defending with infantry...

Have fun mad-bax ! I'm sorry you only get 5 of these war turns, because they're incredible :goodjob:.

Has anyone here heard from Meli? We're looking for him in DI1. We skip him a lot, but are holding out hope for him to show up.

I looked at the save and played 2 turns last night. The first thing I did on the pre-turn was try to steal rocketry as per Jacks advice. We didn't have enough money to do it safely, so I did it carefully. Believe it or not it succeeded. Our luck with steals has been really good. I think 4 out of 6 have succeeded.

Unfortunately, the MA will only have 3 turns to make an impact. I'm sorry I couldn't get the save back last night, but each turn is taking around 45 minutes.

Pre-turn
Stole Rocketry from India carefully. Upgraded as many tanks as possible with the remaining cash.

Early.
Took out the smaller Indian cities. Left the larger ones alone. The Celt cities were difficult to get to but two fell leaving one. War weariness never really became a problem. The arty did a good job.

Middle.
The last turn of war I threw everything but the kitchen sink at the Indians. I managed to take Hyderabad, but I lost about 8 modern armout in the battle. The 4 modern Armour I sent to the last Celtic town all died against the same infantry man, and it still stands to this day.

I put settlers inside Indian borders and settled them on the last turn of war. The borders were pushed back a bit due to subsequent fighting and one settler was killed. I saw more modern armour toward the end than I did at the beginning. It started off at around 7 or eight, but I think I fought a dozen or so in the last turn.

I made straight peace with everyone.

The peace turns.
Well I built settlers and temples of course. The indians were a pain building colonies on the rubber and aluminium in the choke. I had previously joined in the workers to rush settlers so it was difficult to rail around them. So I settled next to them.

Why is it that when you build a city next to a foreign worker that the worker can't be kicked off your territory and the colony carries on being built?

Hyderabad is built in the middle of our territory, and a couple more follow on the inter turn. There are 9 settlers in Salamanca 2 (great name!)

Shall I tell you how far we are from domination?. Nah.

There is a leader in New Jean. Despite probably a couple of hundred battles I only got 2 leaders, the other made a MA army obviously. I wonder if you can find a use for him?

I was going to play the last turn, but it shouldn't be my privelidge.

Great game guys.

Here is the final >>SAVE<<

It's getting towards 1am here and I must get up for work, so I am not going to post a screenie. I hope Jack will for posterity.

Hey Aggie, great to hear from you!!! Hope you're enjoying new Zealand :goodjob:

Amaingly this game does appear to be in the bag...after it's finished I intend to read through the whole thread from start to finish (it's a fair few pages) just to retrace this epic journey and to count all the times we thought we had no chance of winning :D

Anyway, good to have your presence still in this game :)

as for Meli, we've not heard from him in ages. I've seen his name in the forum a few times so I hope he's still around and just going through a busy patch. Mel...if you're around, give us a quick "hi!" :)

Mad-Bax: great going! That you refuse to disclose how close we are suggests we are very close :lol: I can't wait to get home and open the save.

I also hope Jack gets the winning turn...it would be very fitting as he is the guy that came up with the "Chamber Of Secrets" title in the first place!! Go Jack!!! :D

The victory parade through the Spanish capital was impressive; fighter planes soaring overhead, modern armour at the front, followed by the feared Spanish artillery guns, infantry bringing up the rear in full regalia and shiny polished boots. Isabella saluted the troops as they passed by the palace balcony, a wan smile on her face.
She ruled the earth now; representatives of the Indian, Celt, Ottoman and Mongol nations who had survived the wars had acknowledged her sovereignty. But the price had been terrible; whole civilizations had been destroyed, many wonders of the world had been torn down and scientiffic progress had been brought to a standstill. And she had had a very vivid dream that night....... a slithering serpent in a dark room lashing out at her, screeching and twisting, hissing that one day, it would return...... She had woken with a yell as a noise had penetrated from the palace basement. Accompanied by her servants, she was shocked to find a few men emerge from the bathroom door, covered in soot, slime and blood. The serpent had been slain, they said, and then disappeared into the darkness.

They would forevermore be remembered as the COS team :queen:.

Last turns:

Use the leader on Battlefield Medicine, just because I can......
I notice Mad-Bax has thoughtfully provided me with a transport full of settlers to claim the open spaces in the Indian continent.
Settle all of them, and in the 1934 AD preturn, we get this message:

Our final score is 2975, one of my lowest ever :lol:
Here's the final map:

And the histograph (notice how late we really started gaining in power !) :

And the final save . Enjoy the replay and congratulations all around !

Absolutely fantastic!! [party] [dance]

Who'd have thought it, eh?

Truly amazing victory pulled from the jaws of defeat. It went all the way and were it not for that last epic war the Indians may have launched. Also, good job they didn't get nukes! :D

This has been without a doubt the most enjoyable game of Civ 3 I have played. I can only begin to recall all the times this seemed hopeless and the variant too tough etc but we stuck through it, and 4 months later (!) got our reward.

I would like to thank everyone who took part and also all the enthusiastic readers who have chimed in with their opinions. It was something of an attritional game, and it's a pity Stuck-As-A-Mac, Meli, Aggie and ControlFreak weren't present for the winning moment but they all played their parts and made this game the spectacle it was. To everyone: a big thank you and hope to see you guys around for more succession games later...hopefully once the major issues of Conquests are ironed out, I'll look to start something even crazier than this...:D

For now, time to enjoy the replay and read through the thread. There were plenty of laughs along the way. What is for certain is that mad Queen Isabella will live in our memories for a long time :lol: :D

Cheers everyone! :thumbsup:

It truly was a classic. No part of it was a soft option. Our start location, our neighbours, resources, and of course the variant made this the most difficult game I've ever played.

Great job, guys. Sorry I had to drop out, but I lurked all the way to the end. Well, that said, heres to a calm nights rest for Isabella.

The room is dark. In her nightgown, the queen lies down. Quietly, she thinks to herself "How long until I wake up screaming?" With this thought, she closes her eyes, fearful of the images which may run through her head. She does not want to see people being killed, or visions of those she personally has killed. She does not wish to hear the crys of children as they face death by the sword. She does not want to feel Cleo's head, presented to her on a stick. But she fears she will. Slowly, she lays her head down on her pillow, knowing within her heart of hearts she will awake soon.
Isabella's eyes open. "What time is it now" she asks herself. She does not remember what she has dreamed, nor does her throat feel sore from screaming. Looking at her nightstand clock, she sees it reads 8:00 am. She has slept the night. As she sighs, her eyes roll back into her head. A familar feeling rolls over her, similar to the one she has every twenty odd years, when the blood begins. In a deep, booming voice, she says "The Chamber has been closed. Sleep in peace, mi amor, sueño en paz."
She returns quickly to her normal state. The curse. It is gone. She is free... She is free... Free at last, thank God allmighty she is free at last.

Authors Note: Had to do the MLK Jr line there

Originally posted by Nad
it's a pity Stuck-As-A-Mac, Meli, Aggie and ControlFreak weren't present for the winning moment but they all played their parts and made this game the spectacle it was.
Like SAAM, I've been lurking, just not every day like I used to. (This is the only thread I swear. Well, OK, I was trolling the GOTM for the QSC results that never come.)

Congratulations! This was an awesome game and I feel like we earned every one of the pitiful points we got.

Now I am truly sad, there is no more civ game running in which I was a part. Farewell Isabella, farewell COS team. It was a pleasure to know you both.

(OK, a little over the top.;) I will pop by from time to time. Please excuse my ignorance as there is no way I'll ever own Conquests.

Congrats again. [party]

Hey, ControlFreak, great to hear from you!! I sort of suspected you'd be keeping in touch with the game, as you say it was a classic.

Hope the detox is going well.

Nad

Top Bottom