1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Isabella of Spain Mastering Monarch

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by Revent, Jun 3, 2012.

1. Revent

Revent Will SIP

Thanks guys! I honestly can not emphasise how much I appreciate your advice :)
    Just forgot to mention, Jao is on the islands to my west, I think Kubali is up north and Ramses is pretty close to the East.
    Goals for Tomorrow:
    -Scout nearby land for some more city spots
    -REX towards Ramses and block him off from my land.
    -Then settle those islands and block Jao off completely from settling on my coastal area for a long time. :) (that friggin' *******)

Possible Ideas: (Please Let me know if they suck :p )
    -Turn London into a GP farm
    -After writing, go for Oracle>MC as pigswill has said. The Colossus may end up being really helpful if I do end up building on lots of islands (Tis a shame I'm not financial :( )
    -Build TLG in London. (Will building a forge first be better or just going straight to TLG if in a rush?)
    -Expand onto all of the islands JUST to stop Jao and block him off :p
    -Eventually, find Kublai, take him out and keep Ramses as a trading partner for a bit.
    -I'm thinking domination win here. :)

2. Revent

Revent Will SIP

Okay I won't bore you with all of the screenshots like I did last time :p A few less, but this will give a better indication of how this game is progressing.

So in the end, I ended up teching towards Priesthood via Polytheism and used that to get Code of Laws. I then traded that away for all of the techs I was missing :p I think this is a mistake I normally make, I generally ignore diplomacy and trades to backfill the techs I've missed. I do need to build at least 2 more workers though. Cities are growing too slowly right now. Currently researching Aesthetics and then going towards maths and currency to improve my economy a bit.
    Spoiler :

Neighbours: Jao is on the islands to the west. Met Huyana to the north (not kublai) Kublai and Charlemagne are on my west. At the moment Kublai and Charles are at war.

Plans for now:
    I want to take out Huyana once I settle my economy. Would it be best to beeline towards Curraisers and then stomp him?
    I want to settle those islands once I get a chance.
    My military is a bit weak so I need to build up my military now as they all ended up becoming garrissons in my main city. They should all be replaced with archers
    Take that barb city out! It looks like a really good position.
    Eventually take Jao out. It may be a bit hard because he's on a different island/bunch of them.
    Right now, the oracle is going to get me a GP in my capital. I want to get that, build a shrine at London. I still need to build lots of farms there and that city is going to be HUGE. Amazing potential with caste :)
    Settle all the jungle
    More workers!! Those are needed before I settle the jungle!

Advice please welcome! It won't kill you guys to help another fanatic here :p

Attached Files:

3. Htadus

Htadus A and L's dad

Inca are easy to befriend if I recall correctly and it is jungle up there. Let him clear it out. instead claim the forrested land to east. Hit ramsys with axes(yes axes) with spear protection.

4. Revent

Revent Will SIP

Ooh good idea actually! But Ramsy has swords? Don't swords beat Axes (generally speaking)? or am I forgetting something? :$

5. Revent

Revent Will SIP

HAHAHAHAHA!!! This game is epic!! Sorry, I just had so much fun playing this that I just continued onwards :$

Basically, I set a city to build the pyramids for some failgold back in the BC's :p Right now, it's 1300 AD and NO ONE has built it yet!!! HAHA and it's 8 turns left!! hahahaha omg wow! This is monarch difficulty as well hehe. Wow! At the moment, I've built a bunch of maces that are gonna soften up Ramses. I took his city and made peace because my stack all died. He built TGW and ToA in the city I took though. Oh my I love this game so much! So random lol. I'm currently one turn away from Lib and researching Nationalism so I can bulb MT and fire away and stamp down on Ramses. Then I plan to take out Huyana who's getting a bit ahead tech wise followed by Charles and Kublai.

Edit: Built the Pyramids in 1370 AD! :lol: That's amazing! hahaha!

6. Revent

Revent Will SIP

Okay, so I couldn't resist; this game got so damn good! I didn't have iron for Conqs so when I was almost done with gunpowder, I had a stack of suicide maces and cats ready to take Ramsy's city that had iron right next to my border. So three turns before gunpowder, I declare. City gets taken the turn I finish researching it and I start building Conq's in 5 cities. I quickly gather a large army and completely take out Ramses. I then divert my attention to Charles; that bastard was a tough one with all those pike UU's :p but I did get him to vassal. I took 4 cities though I think, rest I gifted back. Then I went after Kubali who was a bit annoying. He had LOTS of crappy units and I got him to vassal really quickly. Once again, I took two cities and gifted the rest back. I then took all my Conqs back home to Huyana who vassaled to me VERY quickly, so fast that I actually needed to take some more cities from him so that his pop gets smaller hehe. So come AP, I won :) Jao was the second biggest pop and everyone voted for me

Thanks a lot for your advice everyone! I really enjoyed this game a lot! I have to admit, it was a bit strange that wonders weren't being built. This sort of set me back at times because I just wanted some fail gold. As a result, my research wasn't as good as it was. Had I known the Pyramids wouldn't have been built for that long, I would've actualy built it much quicker. Expansive is a very powerful trait, throughout the whole game, I've not had to worry even once about health which is a surprising thing! I had around 8 cities above pop 15. One was pop 21 (London)! I learnt about the effectiveness of bulbing in this game. It really at times got me out of tight spots and close races. ie, someone had discovered Philosophy and another Paper before I even started researching them, yet because of the power of bulbing, I managed to use Lib to bulb MT. I also improved my tech trading and managed to do lots of backfilling a bit more effectively. I also gifted techs (useless ones like Lib) to AI to get them to pleased from annoyed, etc...

One thing I need to work on now is earlier and better worker management. Also diplomacy in wars is something I want to do better in as well. Once again, thanks for all the advice :) I really wouldnt have been able to do it without your advice!

7. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

Sounds like a great game that you enjoyed a lot. Congrats on the win too :)

What was the finish date and score?

This forum is fantastic for learning about the game. Keeps blowing my mind with new ideas :D

8. Chuwe3y

Chuwe3y Chieftain

I gave this game another try. I never have a problem with diplomacy or barbarians even on immortal. My biggest failure is warfare, so my goal in every game is either conquest or domination, anything else just bores me. So I did what u did and axe rush vicki (plus u had to, shes only a couple turns away). Now I'm thirsty for blood, nearest enemy is ramses, with the great wall. All the ai wanted to trade horseback riding so I know they don't have horse archers yet. Stupid ramses found his own religion, no1 cares if he's gone from the world :D. This war took awhile, but easy to bait the Ai. I made sure to scare some of his cities and he was running around not knowing what to defend. Anyway ramses is gone. I switch religion to most nearest neighbor and strongest. But now I'm worry if inca and/or mongolia is going to attack me. My economy is going down and I'm behind in tech but I should recover soon and have enough army for power rating so no1 will attack me. Next target for me is mongolia, hope it goes well. I hope this doesn't spoil anything as u have already met the Ais and beyond my tech lvl just different warfare approach.

Who should I attack next?
    Inca has statue of zeus but I'm neutral with him.
    Mongolia is -2 points from neutral.
    Jao and Hammy, both r please cuz of religion switch (but I have been betray before by please ais)

9. bhavv

bhavv Glorious World Dictator

Axes - 5 Str and +50% vs Melee
    Swords - 6 Str and +10% city attack.

Axes beat Swords EASILY.

10. Revent

Revent Will SIP

Haha thanks! I don't really look at the score :p (no point when you have Gods like Sera getting it in the millions :p ) but I was Ceasar and finished in the early 1800's :D

@Chewy, I would go for Kublai just because he's most probably weaker in your game.
    and thanks for explaining Bhavv! :) Really like your mod ideas so far also!

11. Chuwe3y

Chuwe3y Chieftain

Hmm as much as I want to continue and finish the game, for some reason after I load a game my computer tends to crash more often than starting a new game. I was able to play a bit but gave up after 4+crashes. Btw mongolia did attack or tried to attack. So my next goal is to win conquest/domination in less than 5 hours play. Why don't u host an emperor game, seems like monarch is a cinch for u now :D. I will try to shadow too if it doesn't crash too often :(.

12. Revent

Revent Will SIP

This was a good map!! eek lol Emperor is still too far for me :p

Yeah, Kublai was an annoying guy with all of his obsolete units. Besides, I did have to reload a few times after making some noob mistakes. Plus, wtf I built the Mids in 1370 AD? :lol: This was just a one off weird game.

13. Htadus

Htadus A and L's dad

^^
    Mids is one of those wonders that get left behind by AI for some reason. I have built it into 500AD in an immortal game. That game I recall had many GG's borne before I met all the AI. Napolian and Monti was going bonkers.